Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 00:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 68/?/60 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress:

yeah, I thought about the TVP and different beancurds, but I thought I'd do a clean induction for a few weeks and add them in later...mmm I'm getting peckish now

most fitness classes do have resistance training in them, obviously not enough as a personalized program will, but for the time being I'll stick to the classes and get into 'program' once I feel a little more confident. sounds silly, I know, but sometimes I feel like being 'invisible' in a large fitness class.

off for a late lunch of tuna salad.

seeya,
cathie
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 15:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%

God's own piece of paradise - Cairns, Qld.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 17:20

Plan: My own
Stats: 183/173/160 Female 68 in
BF:33%/27%/22%
Progress: 43%

Hi Mr !!! C
Thanks very much for all the info its all interesting and useful. I will chase down the LC porridge just for some added breakfast variety - eggs are still good for me though but I can imagine after 10 months.
Its going to be Atkins (or at least LC) for me for life. If the trade off is no bread well I will live with that. One of your comments about better skin and no dandruff rings so true - one of the fantastic side effects for me was my chronic psoriasis has disappeared! Unbelievable! It was especially bad through my scalp like the worst dandruff and I used steriods etc when it got bad. I feel better than I have in years on this WOE and I am not hungry so no Cathie I am having no trouble sticking to it. Need to change my profile another kilo gone this week and starting to get lots of comments from friends workmates etc.
The gym is great I agree - I do step classes, spin, circuits and pump classes and try for 6 sessions each week. Would like to fit more weights in but where is the time! They insist I come to work - well noone else going to pay my morgage!
Have a good day.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 17:31

Noni another good read is the Protein Power book by Eades - I think this also explains the insulin fat thing well. Only trouble all the weights measurements are imperial which is a nuisance until you get used to it. Do read Atkins its worthwhile - the last thing I bought was his new cookbook - very good - the recipes use metric so its much easier. Books are one of my downfalls - I could spend hours in Borders, in fact I do!
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 21:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 68/?/60 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress:
Smile hi gillian

don't you just love borders! oh I can sit in a bookstore for ages.

sometimes even if I feel lazy and don't want to go to the gym I still go and after a sweaty workout I can enjoy a hot shower and be glad that I had gone. it is great isn't it.

hope you have a good day,
cathie
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 23:04
Registered Member

Plan: X-Factor/Atkins
Stats: 202/157/145 Male 173cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

NP Gillian, glad I could help. I only wish I'd found this forum back when I was starting. You can imagine what 9 months of eating eggs for breaky has done to me I relish my porridge and protein shakes these days. The no bread and pasta thing is no big deal for me. I'm used to it.

Great news about your psoriasis. I too have eczema, and it does seem more manageable these days. Don't have to use the cortisone cream as much. Another benefit to doing Atkins

As for gym, I try to get down there 5 nights a week, alternating between cardio and weights. I sometimes miss out on cardio, which is not so much of a big deal, since LCing takes care of the fat thing, as well as the extra muscles

Keep up the good work Gillian.

C
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 01:17
Registered Member

Stats: 189/179/130 Female 167cm
BF:
Progress: 17%

Im from Melbourne Victoria, Im new to this site
and glad to see theres some more Aussies here!
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 16:49

Stats: 152.9/150.0/138
BF:36/37/27
Progress:

Hi I'm from Central Coast NSW originally from Auckland New Zealand .. I'm a newby to all this . a quick question if I may. ...when counting carbs in meat (cooked) all counters say zero carbs per 100g
is it more for extra grams or stay the same ..
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby D
Hi I'm from Central Coast NSW originally from Auckland New Zealand .. I'm a newby to all this . a quick question if I may. ...when counting carbs in meat (cooked) all counters say zero carbs per 100g
is it more for extra grams or stay the same ..

Hello Bobby D, I am certainly no expert but there are no carbs in meat whatever the grams - I believe you have to be careful of certain processed deli type meats that may have been cured using sugar but otherwise meat is zero carbs! Have a good day
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 08:43

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I live in Coolum, Sunshine Coast, Q. Wondering about where to get LC products that I see in the Canadian and American forum recipes...e.g. Vital wheat gluten, Arkins products and others.

I have just begun Atkins- 6 days but am resisting the scales so don't have results yet. Need to lose about 10 k at most, but being over 60 it is now very hard to do...was dieting for months on low glycemic with no results- just maintaining. Was thrilled to discover pork crackles...I see lots of recipes using them on this site for breading, making faux french toast etc.

Val
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 06:24

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim1
Hi,

I'm from Canberra. I've been hooked on this site for a while and love it.

Anyone else from the capital?

hi sim 1

goulburn here,,,, lets meet up for a low carb water sometime,,lol,,, i shop in canberra...nothing here in chilly goulburn
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 00:08

Stats: 192/192/160 Female 176cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm in Junee, NSW near Wagga Wagga. Originally from Sydney, but lived in Perth, in Kiama and just about every suburb of Sydney as well.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 08:44

Stats: 67/615/60 Female 167cm
BF:
Progress:
Default *

Hi, I'm from Perth, the state of deprivation as far as low carb 'frankenfoods' are concerned
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 16:52

Casval, Just wanted to let you know that I tried your porridge recipe and find it very good - it felt like eating real porridge and is quite satisifying, so much so I felt like I was cheating! Very handy for an alternative breakfast. So many thanks for the tip I recommend it to others. Also have give up trying to find a stockist for Empower after trying two that were listed on their website. Will try another one when I get a chance. Where did you find them?

Did anyone see 60 minutes Sunday night - they had report on popular diets and really focused on Susan Powters low fat organic diet, atkins and the zone. I thought it really didn't say anything important just gave the impression that they were all fad diets, no discussion of their effectiveness etc. Probably the most time was spent on the Low fat guru - I've actually read one of her books and there is no way I could do that diet. Anyway its no wonder the lo carb lifestyle is so misunderstood.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 02:49

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

yes Gillian i totally agree,,,, i saw the program and was surprised it made no attempt to really research the pros and cons of any of the diets,,,or even to see or hear success stories from ppl doing these kinds of diets,,,,oh,,welll,,, i am doing atkins and very happy.... feeling great and more alive than i have in years....bye