Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 10:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / South Beach mix
Stats: 163.5/163/125 Female 59.5
BF:WAY TOO MUCH !!
Progress: 1%
Default Ruth

Me too!

Legal foods, but lots of them!

I agree with the LC whip cream pudding, sweet stuff..... one "recipe" = 3 servings (not in the real world, but in mine!)

Perhaps that has been part of my problem.

Sweets, nuts & nut butter, too many calories, and portion control (I have NONE )

Great Posts!!!
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 12:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I know the first week of induction I made all kinds of mistakes. It's a wonder I lost weight at all. I'm taking this WOL as a learning experience though and a work in progress. I have learned a ton of things about my body and have drasticaly changed my eating habits from when I first started LC.

1. I'm lactose intolerent. I thought this just ment putting up with gas and diareah. After cutting out dairy though my weight loss did much better. I was also probably eating way to much cream as I have always loved rich creamy things.

2. I probably have candidia. I havn't been to a doctor to test for sure. I started eating as Dr. A recomended for candidia cutting out cheese, mushrooms, and adding yogurt ect. Not only did it help weight loss, but I noticed that most of my acid reflux was triggered by no-no foods for yeast.

3. Thinking I had to eat less vegggies. I was trying to add more veggies into my diet pre LC, then when I went LC I would only occasionaly have them. I notived with the dairy gone though I had a ton of left over allowed carbs. I started finding creative ways to add veggies to almost every meal.

4. Thinking I didn't like certain foods. My tastes have changed so extreamly that things I used to love now turn my stomach and things I thought I disliked now taste great. Sweet bell peppers now taste really sweet, avacados are a treat, and I've been experimenting and learning new ways to cook many foods.

5. Any diet is expencive to follow. When I first started LC I bought all kinds of lc products and specialty items. I have barely touched them. Now I buy mostly produce and some meats/fish what ever is on sale. My soy milkj and yogurt are about the only 'treats'. I now leave the store with a few days worth of meals for under $20.
  #108   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 20:33

Plan: Carb Cycle
Stats: 185/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default My biggest mistake was...

Reading the book for my diet once and declaring myself an expert (so to speak). Instead of referencing as I went along, at least the first month or so.

I made so many mistakes in the beginning because I simply remember some details from the book wrong.

Read and reference the book for your diet... often.
  #109   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 12:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/119/108 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Tons of mistakes and continually falling off the wagon

My mistakes (list always growing):

Too much cheese
pork rinds on induction
legal treats - to many mock danish, etc
Not eating enough veggies
Not following induction STRICTLY
THe "oh, just one bite won't hurt" syndrome
Wanting instant results/feeling like I am failing when I plateau.
NOT being rigorously honest regarding food content (ie, if a dressing at a restaurant has sugar, etc).

My biggest mistake - listening to all the negative hype about Atkins, and leaving this WOL to join WW/low fat eating because my family THINKS they know what is best for me *sigh*.

Last edited by lotuslaura : Fri, Jul-18-03 at 12:44.
  #110   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 21:58

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it Karen, and for giving me the idea for my new handle! ("Mistakes'...MizSteaks'...groan!) Sorry about the pun, but it works well in so many ways.

My biggest mistake so far is buying every book I can find and ending up with 'paralysis by analysis'! I have still not chosen the right plan for me but have cut my carb intake by at least 80-90%. I have some post surgical problems/medications I have to deal with, but progress is happening slowly...and slow is good.

It is such a blessed relief to be here with people who AGREE with this WOE instead of having to
DEFEND it!!
  #111   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 22:07
Registered Member

Stats: 224/185/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 61%

Am I missing a link somewhere about Newbie Mistakes or is everyone sharing their own mistakes stories? I would really like to read the Newbie Mistake List.
  #112   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 00:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

At the bottom of your your post you'll see this:

Pages (6): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Click page one and it will bring you to the beginning of the thread. It is a thread of personal, Newbie mistakes.

Karen
  #113   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 03:05
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

My biggest newbie mistakes:

1. Trying to exercise too hard on Induction. I woke up in the middle of the night with agonizing cramps in my back and legs.

2. Failing to eat, because I just didn't get hungry.

3. Relying on the scale instead of on my clothes to gauge weight loss.

Emily
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 11:45
Registered Member

Stats: 307/252.5/239 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:????
Progress: 80%

"Don't hang out at a bakery" ...I own a restaurant with its own bakery...got this way from just smelling the sweets and food....but I am determined to get healthy. Good Luck
  #115   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 11:15

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I had a couple of misperceptions that were hard to correct at first. One was that lean protein is always best. So I was, at first, eating mainly chicken for protein. Once I started eating hamburger (without concern for "leanness") and steak more often, my weight loss came easier, and I was more satisfied.

I had trouble learning that cottage cheese isn't really low carb. I associated it with protein and therefore it was "good." I notice that not too many succesful LCers who list meals in their journal seem to spend their carbs on cottage cheese.
  #116   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 19:44
Registered Member

Stats: 307/252.5/239 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:????
Progress: 80%

I found that if I use chicken one day and beef the next, and fish the next...it cuts a bit of the boredom out of meals ...I made a delicious chicken soup today with a chicken breast, my 1 cup of veggies and I added a bit of cream to thicken it..and boy was it good. And I could eat the whole small pot without feeling guilty...didn't even miss the egg noodles....!
  #117   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 08:27

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

For me it was not eating enough veggies and eating too many low carb bars
  #118   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 21:28

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 257/218/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 31%

the low carb bars are my downfall also - find myself craving them like I used to crave regular sweets, plus weighing a.m. & p.m. I also go a little bit overboard on pork rinds, but I guess like everyone says, you have to realize your mistakes and make changes for the better to succeed
  #119   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 22:16

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

Wow! great thread, great posts and a lot of insights here... I'll start to fitday again! I m not eating my veggies lately...not sure if I eating enough fat and, even more..I'm not sure if I eating enough.
Thanks to all
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 15:34
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thinking I could eat the equivalent of my weight in cashews and not stall.