Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 18:34

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by misdbobby
packaged cheese crackers w/ peanut butter.

Holy mackerel...I've been making these chips since forever and never once considered this!! Now I will! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 21:08

Plan: Lemonade (Master Cleanse)
Stats: 185.7/155/165 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:It's all body fat!
Progress: 148%

The pepper jack cheese turns crispy like potatoe chips!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 09:57
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

Yum, I think I make a few batches of cheese crackers today. Now I feel like a peanut butter cheese cracker
I do like the pepper jack cheese ones, I think that provolone slices also taste alot like potato chips.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 13:09
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

OK - I never got to it before - you guys have convinced me. I'm going to try nuking any kind of sliced cheese I can find in my fridge and see if I can come up with soft bread... chewy bagelish slice... crunch chips... anything. Will report!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 17:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

These are a mainstay for me. They are such an easy snack and with sour cream and salsa are a perfect occassional subsititute for my old favorite of nachos. I am currently hooked on Pepper Jack, but have used most types of cheese. The only one that I have found to not work well is Swiss.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 17:54
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I used a silicon baking mat, sprayed it with Pam. I nuked one square slice of white American cheese. I had to nuke it for 70 seconds to get it right. It was light brown, puffy. (Done less than that, what I got was part melty cheese, part chewy cheese, and part puffed crispy cheese.) I did another. One had a big 'air hole' (not all the way through but on one side). The look of them was kinda funky. I tasted one. Tasted like a cheese cracker to me. My 11 year old is the one nuts about those though, not me. So I took them to her and asked her if they tasted like a cheese cracker. She took a couple bites, thought about it, then said YUM! and ate them both. I don't know that I could eat a lot of these but I think they'd be great for scooping up a blended chicken-pesto-redpepper-parmesan dip. She could probably eat them all day.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 22:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

I find if I break them in pieces, usually quarters, and "spread" them evenly around the plate, anyplace but the center, they nuke up much more evenly, not so much with the 'holes' and the chewy bits.

:hiya:
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 10:08

Plan: Self
Stats: 229/215.5/175 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress: 25%

tried these last night with provolone cheese. I cut the cheese into six pieces each and nuked it for 45sec., took it out and blotted it with a paper towel, flipped the pieces over and nuked it for another 20sec or so. I loved it.
Does anyone know if these can be done in the oven. I'd like to make a large batch and stow them in the fridge for when the "I Gotta eat something Nows" strike. Thanks Elaine
  #24   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 10:36

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Parchment paper is what I use to make the cheese crackers in the microwave. I merely break the cheese into 4 smaller squares. My son goes crazy over them. I never thought thought about using a bigger version for bread. Thanks for the idea. I will have to try it. I bet my son will love that one too, he's a cheese fanatic...majorly.

At first when I tried it I didn't have any parchment paper, so I used a glass plate. The glass holds heat more so it may be a little more gooey than on the paper, or a little more crisp.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 11:42

Plan: M/E and Atkins
Stats: 289/171.6/150 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPass
These are a mainstay for me. They are such an easy snack and with sour cream and salsa are a perfect occassional subsititute for my old favorite of nachos. I am currently hooked on Pepper Jack, but have used most types of cheese. The only one that I have found to not work well is Swiss.

That is funny cause my favorite cheese to use for crisps is Swiss

And by the way I bought a round silicone mat that fits my turntable in the microwave, and I use this for cheese crisps, no spraying required.

I am trying to figure out how this is a sub for bread for a sandwich. Isn't it too crispy.

I love cheese crisps as a cracker sub or chip sub though. Great ideas here.

Jumping in here I haven't posted here in a while.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 16:05

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowzip
I am trying to figure out how this is a sub for bread for a sandwich. Isn't it too crispy.

Not if you lessen the cooking time a little. If you decrease the cooking time, it will be softer, but more cheese like. I made the mistake of cooking more than one piece at a time, and it ended up more softer due to it not getting as much of the heat as it does when you cook only one I suppose.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 11:26

Stats: 307/222/177 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I always found that the more oily the cheese, the better the "cracker" turned out. I always buy the cheapest of cheap store brand sandwich slices. When I'm ready to nuke them, I just open the plastic on the front side, fold it under and stick it right in to the microwave for 45 seconds. When it's done the cellophane pulls off easypeasy and I have my cracker!

These will also keep pretty well for at least a day or so. I've been known to make 4 slices and take them to work with me in a ziploc bag so I can eat tuna fish on them at lunch time.

Num.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 15:40

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I don't think that nuking plastic that is not made for the microwave is a safe idea. There is a lot of oopla going on, with tranference of chemicals to food.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 05:55

Stats: 307/222/177 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Ah, perhaps. Hasn't killed me yet, though.

Being able to nuke the stuff right on its plastic wrapper makes it a much more portable snack. Just a couple of slices of cheese in the lunch bag that easily be turned in to something more substantial...

And I hate wasting the wax paper...
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 17:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

If you ate the plastic and choked on it, well then, that would kill ya quick.

Hormonal disruptors don't kill ya quick, they just mess up your metabolic and endocrine systems, including that system reponsible for weight loss amongst other things.

Something to think about: an easy thing to change, a simple nasty potential avoided or reduced.