Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 22:05
Registered Member

Plan: High Fat Low Carb
Stats: 180/160/160 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I know this is going to sound crazy, but will a fortnightly beer binge be counted as a carb re-feed?

Instead of pilsners, i thought some stout might qualify as a better carbohydrate source.

Any opinions? I'm a real beer addict, but i haven't touched a single drop since i started my LC diet.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 00:01

Plan: JUDDD 4/30/2012
Stats: 154/141/135 Female 54.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

I don't know about a re-feed, since there is basically no nutritional value in beer... But I have had a decadent dessert in that same non-nutritional category maybe once in 8 weeks since I have started LC and it has not seemed to stall me. I will say I enjoy a pretty much nightly glass of wine with minimal slowdowns. Hmmm, fortnightly binge... I would think may cause a slow down if it is a really crazy over the top binge? Not sure--what if you make that most of your carbs for a carb up that day? I totally get wanting to celebrate with friends. Perhaps if you incorporated this into your routine, it would help you to stay on track the rest of the time? If it doesn't work for you, you can always cut back on the extent of your binge.

I am tweaking my routine to see what works best, too. If you are in no hurry, why not try it if you don't think it will send you over the carb edge for more than just that day? I decided to lower my low carb day limit because of a vacation quickly approaching and that is helping my weight loss, but I still have my wine in the evening.

So don't know, give it a whirl and see how it works for you. Keep us posted, okay? Curious....
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 00:11

BF:

I guess I forgot to make an entry with an update...

Week 8 update on carb cycling: Lost 8.5 pounds and 15.75 inches overall. Hooray!! Jeans feel so comfy. Usually I will come home in the evening in the winter and put on sweats immediately. Have not done that in a couple of weeks, just noticed that!
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 01:38
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusrose
I don't know about a re-feed, since there is basically no nutritional value in beer... But I have had a decadent dessert in that same non-nutritional category maybe once in 8 weeks since I have started LC and it has not seemed to stall me. I will say I enjoy a pretty much nightly glass of wine with minimal slowdowns. Hmmm, fortnightly binge... I would think may cause a slow down if it is a really crazy over the top binge? Not sure--what if you make that most of your carbs for a carb up that day? I totally get wanting to celebrate with friends. Perhaps if you incorporated this into your routine, it would help you to stay on track the rest of the time? If it doesn't work for you, you can always cut back on the extent of your binge.

I am tweaking my routine to see what works best, too. If you are in no hurry, why not try it if you don't think it will send you over the carb edge for more than just that day? I decided to lower my low carb day limit because of a vacation quickly approaching and that is helping my weight loss, but I still have my wine in the evening.

So don't know, give it a whirl and see how it works for you. Keep us posted, okay? Curious....

Thanks for your great advice. I thought the idea of carb cycling is simply to increase carb level suddenly for the many benefits already listed, and i can't think of anything more carbilicious as beer LOL

Best friend coming over from Australia next Monday, we're going to have a beer day. Will keep u posted on what's happening.

Cheers
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-10, 22:07

BF:

If I had a friend coming in from Australia, I would probably have a beer day too!! Have lots of fun! Carbilicious indeed...
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 00:10
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
If I had a friend coming in from Australia, I would probably have a beer day too!! Have lots of fun! Carbilicious indeed...

LOL

If it doesn't work out and i gain a kilo of beer-lard, then i'll just have to exercise it off
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-10, 18:21
Registered Member

BF:

Went drinking with my friend yesterday....drank from around 1.30pm until 6pm LOL....we downed 5 large jugs of beer!!

Weighed myself this morning, a whopping 1kg increase in weight....all the fluids stuck inside me.

Will go for a workout to try and sweat it out, and monitor my progress over the next few days.

Keeping my fingers crossed!!
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-10, 18:55

BF:

Keeping my fingers crossed with you...we had a potluck at work yesterday and I did overindulge...enough that I have barely felt like eating today. Perhaps will all even out for both of us in a few days, hopefully.
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-10, 21:32
Registered Member

BF:

dropped 600 grams within a 20min workout LOL

confirms my suspicion that it's mainly water
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-10, 02:33
Registered Member

Plan: Cyclical Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 225/180/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 180%

Quote:
getmoney...

what is TKD and CKD? Thanks!

Two variations of ketogenic dieting - essentially having a high fat intake, medium protein intake and less than 35g carb per day.

TKD - Targeted Ketogenic Dieting - Ketogenic dieting, carbs consumed before exercise or after exercise, or both. Used only dextrose post workout.

CKD - Cyclical Ketogenic Dieting - Ketogenic diet for 5-6 days, workout plan is aimed to deplete muscle gylcogen as much as possible (doing this SUCKS lol), and then having a massive carb refeed for 24-48 hours.

Personal Results:

TKD - Gave me great endurance results, but I lost all my strength - when I would fight, I would get manhandled by guys who were smaller than me.

CKD - For my kind of training (a lot of heavy condition, BJJ, muay thai), this eating plan is suicide.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 16:42
Registered Member

BF:

Dropped every single gram I gained from drinking beer on Monday it took 3 days to undo the damage!!!
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 20:28

BF:

Excellent job. And enjoyed yourself in the process.
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-10, 21:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Excellent job. And enjoyed yourself in the process.

nah, only fun on Monday when I was drinking with my pal....the next 2 days were hell....i basically exercised my butt off after getting a shock from seeing my weight on the scales

I'm really determined this is the last year i'm ever going to be fat
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-10, 19:20

Plan: Atkins/Carb Cycling
Stats: 312/260/220 Male 76 inches
BF:29.6
Progress: 57%

I have enjoyed reading through the previous posts and wonder if anyone is still experimenting and having success with the carb cycling. I have been on the Atkins Induction stage for almost 3 months and have lost 50 pounds; however, the weightloss has stalled and I am also just about to pass out when I lift heavy weights. I was able to bench press 325 pounds when I first started the diet and now am down to 245 pounds. I want to continue the fat loss but do not want to continue losing strength so I am going to try the carb cycling I read about on Bodybuilding.com but would certainly be interested to see if there are people who've had success with this strategy. Thanks in advance for your input.
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 21:56

BF:

HI Taxman626,

I was also reading on Leangains.com about carb cycling in relation to weight training. Seems to make sense. Up to this point I have done carb cycling since January, lost 12# and 20+ inches, so very happy with that. Now want to increase muscle and tone, as well as lose fat. I really think adding good carbs--fruit--before weight training really helps and it sounds like it is helpful to "refeed" after workouts too. Let me know what you learn and how you progress.