Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 05:51
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 310/240/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I'm also a guy who lifts weights and I have used the carb cycling over the years. I do think it resets your metabolism and makes fat loss kick in again when you are stalled. It works on your endocrine system in complicated ways that also builds muscle I believe. However, I have stayed strictly low carb for months on end and felt perfectly fine. As evidenced by the thousands on this website, I don't believe low carbing harms you in any way. It helps people with many medical problems such as diabetes. I look at carb cycling as a way to enhance the low carb method.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 07:28

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Subscribing.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: cycling carbs 30 - 70 net
Stats: 185/158/130 Female 174 cm
BF:26
Progress: 49%

do you thing this works only for weightlifters? i do not excercise much (due tu injury i do mostly pilates and yoga)

recently i broke the induction levels and upped carbs, but am still gathering info on how to do this ...
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 02:24
Registered Member

Plan: Cyclical Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 225/180/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 180%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarin
do you thing this works only for weightlifters? i do not excercise much (due tu injury i do mostly pilates and yoga)

recently i broke the induction levels and upped carbs, but am still gathering info on how to do this ...

From all the info I've read on this kind of dieting, if seems like it was designed for bodybuilders, by bodybuilders.

Essentially, the concept is the same. The beauty of this kind of diet is that it's not set in stone. It can be adapted to each kind of lifestyle, and for each persons goals. Believe or not, you can actually bulk up using carb cycling as well (it's not just for cutting down).
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 21:35

Plan: 30/40/30
Stats: 225/135/135 Male 73 in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Carb cycling is most useful for bodybuilders/athletes, but I think anyone running into a long-term weight loss stall or using a relatively large calorie deficit can benefit from it. I've been using 3 carb ups per month with low carb the rest of the time, and I always seem to lose fat afterward.

Pros: carbohydrate raises leptin, upregulates the thyroid; very little chance of fat gain if dietary fat is kept low (as long as the refeed duration is short enough); refeeds are a nice psychological break from dieting

Cons: large blood sugar fluctuations can cause free radical damage; readaptation to low carb is needed.
  #66   ^
Old Sat, May-09-09, 14:38

Plan: low carb, carb cycling
Stats: 160/121/125 Female 65.5 inches
BF:under 10
Progress: 111%

yay, i knew id find a ckd thread somewhere on here!

so i, like some of you, feel my fat loss has stalled, and i am pretty close to my goal. grrrr.

i do lift alot, 4-5x per week. so i thought id give this a try. last night was the start of my 1st carb load (im only doing 24 hour loads) i was really scared!!!

so well see how it goes. one thing that i thought was cool, is that after i inhaled my big bowl o pasta, i could feel my heart pounding in my head. helloooooooo, metabolism boost!
  #67   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 13:49

BF:

I get that too when starting a carb load. I always feel like I could run a marathon.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 14:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/163/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 48%

Subscribing
  #69   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 17:09

ok, so. friday thru sat. night was my first carb load. then sunday, back on the program, kicked things of sunday morning with a 2 mile walk/run on an empty stomach...then we had an INSANE full upper body workout sunday night. and i was back in ketosis by noon today! only took me a day and a half! woot woot! tonight is full lower body, then cardio tuesday, cardio wednesday, then either full body on thursday, or take thursday off and do full body on friday...

i feel pretty good. 24 hours is not as bad as say, a whole weekend, and since i ate carbs on purpose, i didnt get that sickening guilty feeling. it was fun, im not gonna lie, i ate rice a roni and mac n cheese and ramen and cereal and fat free ice cream....la la la la laaaaaaaaaaaa
  #70   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 12:15

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163/121/135 Female 5ft. 7 inches
BF:Just perfect:)
Progress: 150%

Anyone has done carb cycling lately? Please share your thoughts
  #71   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 14:21

BF:

I'm still on a ckd, showing good results and enjoying the diet plan. Over time I seem to be gaining less water weight after each refeed (used to be ~5lb, now it's around 2-3 with the same carb load) and readapting to low carb more quickly. Anyone else experience these things?
  #72   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 14:55

Plan: Atkins (General LC)
Stats: 178/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm interested and would love to hear more stories! I had a "free meal" yesterday for lunch, and definitely never went out of ketosis!
  #73   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 15:48

kjf, i would love to know what kinds of things you eat on your carb ups... im still trying to get the hang of it!!!

andie, i just started cycling and i really like it so far...scott (my husband) says he can already tell a difference! and my work outs are MUCH better
  #74   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 19:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndieLyn
I'm interested and would love to hear more stories! I had a "free meal" yesterday for lunch, and definitely never went out of ketosis!

When the body is glycogen depleted, any incoming carbs will be sent to glycogen while the body continues burning fat. It takes about 24 hours of carb intake to shift over to carb metabolism (out of ketosis), so a single cheat meal might not have much effect.

Lately, I've been eating mostly oatmeal, potatoes, yams, and white rice for carbs. I usually have some chicken breast and cottage cheese or tuna for added protein. Probably boring to some people, but I like it.

Occasionally I add in fruit, pasta, bagels, bread, cereal, or whatever other carboriffic stuff I can think of. Also, junk foods like pizza, doughnuts, or candy are nice every once in a while and don't mess up fat intake too much if the rest of the day is low fat stuff. Low fat ice cream is pretty good as well.
  #75   ^
Old Sat, May-23-09, 15:23

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163/121/135 Female 5ft. 7 inches
BF:Just perfect:)
Progress: 150%

That is so interesting...
so, you said you do have fruit? There is a controversy about fruits, has it affected you at all in carb cycling at all?

I am wanting strawberries sooooooooooooooo bad. I am doing carb cycling on Sunday...