Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 15:56

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

Hey, Annedifebb, carbs hold water in your system so when you stop eating carbs the water is the first thing to go. Happens to all of us...ain't it great!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 19:57
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach / CALP
Stats: 125/134.5/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolks
Great plan, pink. We are going to get you past those 3-4 days. Just hang in here with us and you'll be in prime shape in no time. Your menu sounds delicious. Oh, and if you are not into cooking be sure to make extra every time you cook so it will be ready and waiting when you need it. We are all rooting for you!!

Aww thanks...you are all so wonderful here. And i will be rooting for you all too! We are going to get this right this time, once and for all. It seems like i've tried starting over soooo many times that i've become tired of it. And each time i fail, my esteem goes down a little lower. But this time, with this wonderful circle of support, i don't feel like there is space for failure. Almost as if i wouldn't want to let anyone down=) And even if messups occur, we will be able to get right back on to the wagon.

You're right, joesfolks. I have thought over the idea of cooking large batches and just freezing some of them. I just bought some peppers and zucchini. I have decided that i will probably cook up alot of chicken and those veggies and then place them into portioned ziplock boxes, so that anytime i feel too lazy to cook something up, i can just reach in the freezer and heat up a meal It is like Michelina's but South Beach-ed, and without preservatives, sugar or anything else that shouldn't be in there!
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 19:59
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annedifebb
P.I.N.K. - I am lucky in that I don't seem to need to follow the STRICT low-carb induction recipes exactly. For example: I need to have an evening snack and it needs to be something sweet. I have discovered a really great low-fat (but NOT non-fat, no sugar) yogurt that I am loving. I feel like if I allow myself this little splurge I will be alot less likely to go out and buy a snickers bar! Also, I think your feeling really bad around day 3-4 has alot to do with sugar deprivation. Try and do some reading up on that (or internet research - e-mail me and I'll give you some links) because I think alot of our food these days contains hidden sugars...

Good Luck!

Well, natural yogurt is allowed on the South Beach diet anyway, so it is perfectly legal. I think that flavoured ones are not allowed yet on phase 1. You can take plain nonfat yogurt and add some splenda and vanilla for vanilla yogurt

Also, thanks for the tip about the sugar deprivation thing. I will look that up right now. From your experience, do you have any good idea as to what i should do when that 3rd or 4th day hits and i get an urge to give in?
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 20:15

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 128/128/110 Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well - what has really worked for me is just drinking a ton of water, most especially when I am dying for something sugary. I think alot of getting past the first few days is breaking the habit of just putting anything and everything you want in your mouth! So - to help with that I just keep a bottle or glass of water with alot of ice in my hand at all times. Another thing is the fat free/sugar free jello cups. I get strawberry and I will have one of those if the sugar craving gets too bad. I also sometimes freeze them and pretend their either water ice or sorbet!
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 21:06

Okay, nike it should be at the top now. Welcome
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 21:34

Plan: SugerBusters
Stats: 275/205/145 Female 5'4"
BF:http://tickers.Tic
Progress: 54%

ok I found it!!!!!!!!!!!! See y'all soon!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 01:03
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Quote:
It was just last night that i decided i would carry a water bottle with me wherever i go. Even if it is around the house. I don't know why i hadn't thought of this earlier. But it is good because every once in a while i can just take a sip instead of grabbing a munchie

I do this too - I found early on that if I drank water out of a glass I was far less likely to drink it, but if I drank water out of a sports top bottle....I drank it and more!! I found the thought of drinking 8 glasses a day got me down, but drinking 4 bottles of 25floz each one just seems SO easy! Sometimes I forget and drink 5 or 6 of them brining my total up to 150 floz for the day! There's no way I would have done that in glasses!

Great tip that a lot of you should try to encorporate. I never leave home without my bottle, and I always have one on the go indoors.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 07:53

Congratulations every one, we are doing great. Today is day 3 for me. I'm going to get around here soon and get my breakfast. Yesterday I waited too long and ...well you can read the rest in my journal in a few minutes. Pink and nike it was great talking to you in the chat last night. Here is hoping we all have a great lc day. I will add to this post as the day goes on.
Anne, good job on the water! Hope you have a great lc day.

Last edited by joesfolks : Tue, Jul-25-06 at 08:02.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 08:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 168/153/140 Male 5 feet 3 inches short
BF:
Progress: 54%

Congrats to everyone that has restarted. Joes you have created a nice following of South Beachers Train them well ahhaha

Take care and have a good day 3!
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 09:15

Thanks Tim, just wanted to let everyone know that this is not just for SBD. Anyone who cares to can join. We are all in this together. Support support support!!! My I seem to really be into exclamation points lately!!!!!!!!!!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 11:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeb00
ok I found it!!!!!!!!!!!! See y'all soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes! welcome nike, to the challenge!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 11:22
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolks
Congratulations every one, we are doing great. Today is day 3 for me. I'm going to get around here soon and get my breakfast. Yesterday I waited too long and ...well you can read the rest in my journal in a few minutes. Pink and nike it was great talking to you in the chat last night. Here is hoping we all have a great lc day. I will add to this post as the day goes on.
Anne, good job on the water! Hope you have a great lc day.

Yes, that was really great! Thanks for being so awesome you guys! Its just so wonderful to have someone know how i am feeling and the struggles of getting things right! It just makes me want to come here more and more. I'm going to stay commited and try to come here everyday for that extra support and giving it also

Here is my menu for today:

Brunch- Superduper sandwich omelette thingy
S- Chicken breast roll ups
S- Cheestring with cucumber slices
D- Hot Pot.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 11:30

Plan: Atkins/Oprah/Phil
Stats: 228.4/187.6/175 Female 71 nches
BF:32%//26.4 BMI
Progress: 76%

Hi Guys,

Would love to join y'all on your "starting over" journey! I was here a couple of years ago and lost over 40 pounds on Atkins...then just jumped ship completely...kind of tried to start again in May...didn't make it, but have been going steady since July 5th and I am completely determined to do it....even incorporated a little walking so for me that means complete dedication.. The first time I lost I really attribute it so much to supportive people here on this board...just makes you feel like you are not doing it alone and gives you someone to talk about it all with -- not to mention the great recipes and information...anyway, I am a rambler...hope you don't mind and would love to jump in here with y'all!

Anita
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 11:37

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 128/128/110 Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Welcome Nike and Anita! I agree that the support here is one of the most valuable tools ever. I had a decent enough day yesterday but man did the sugar-detox headache hit me hard last night!!! After several advils and some fat free yogurt I was finally able to get to sleep. This morning I still felt pretty crummy but felt a little better after I made an omelette for breakfast and had a small glass of tomatoe juice. Made some green tea and had a small handful of almonds for mid-morning snack. Now I'm preparing an awesome spinache salad with fresh zucchini, yellow squash, chick peas, mushrooms, green peppers, and low sodium ham; splash with lemon juice and lime juice, some extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, black and red pepper and it's yummy. Dinner will most likely be grilled boneless chix breast marinated w/ olive oil and lime juice and pepper and grilled zucchini and squash. One thing that I find really easy is using a foreman-type grille to cook my foods. It's fast, cooks chicken in about 5 minutes and you can take off the grill plates and put them in the dishwasher. It's fantastic to use to make grilled veggies.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 13:45

I am a rambler...hope you don't mind and would love to jump in here with y'all!

Ginyer, great to see you! Yes, we were working on this together a while back!
Glad to have you on board. All these folks are just wonderful and we are getting started again together. So where are you in your journey? I am working on my third day. Doing okay with the help of all of these folks.
So glad to have you with us, and don't worry about the rambling thing, I'm the same way but I figure if we are busy with our hands on the keys we aren't stuffing carbs in our mouths!

Anne: that salad sounds delicious. You must be a great cook. I'm glad you got over your headache. Something like that during phase one can really send you flying for the carbs, but you did a great job of avoiding them. I'm so proud for you. Just hang on for the ride. Phase one is only two weeks long!
I don't know about you guys but I am so looking forward to weighing myself once the two weeks is over. I'm very tempeted to run down to the med center and weigh myself. I don't keep a scale in the house because they are so notorious for being wrong, and because if I did have one I would be weighing all of the time. But the med center is about six miles away. No big deal usually but since I am out of work and gas prices being what they are I can't afford to run down there unless I have stuff to do in that neighborhood. It all works out pretty well when you think about it. Gosh , almost makes me thankful for outrageous fuel prices...almost.

Last edited by joesfolks : Tue, Jul-25-06 at 13:58.