Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-06, 11:56
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 207/192/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Lots of fiber in flax which I use to make low carb muffins/bread. Also, a shake with s.f. Torani/DaVinci syrup, flax, psyllium husks, cream and a few ice cubes seems to keep things "moving along". Some people use commercial products to get their extra fiber.

Yes, Dr. Eades does have a way with words! Guess more reading about fiber and whether or not it is necessary in the quantities (25 grams) recommended is in order.

Auntiejoyce, good for you! I know how great you must feel to see those numbers come down and YES, Dr. B does rock

Last edited by waterwoman : Fri, Sep-08-06 at 12:13. Reason: Back to Add
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-06, 12:00

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%

Dr Eades has such a way with words.

I'm in week 6 of clean eating, very close to what Protein Power would call the purist level. I eat about 3 cups of veggies every day (2c salad and 1c cooked). I eat about 6oz of protein for lunch and dinner and 3 eggs in butter for breakfast. That's it. My carbs are close to 20-30 per day and I need no extra fiber. No snacks (I've had ready-made sf jello a few times), dairy, grains or beans. I feel fantastic. My cravings are gone. You could wave a chocolate doughnut in front of me and I couldn't care less. And I've lost 11 pounds in 5 weeks. woo hoo!

My morning blood sugar dropped from about 140 to 115 quickly then to 105 for a couple weeks. Now this week it is 95 in the morning and all day even before and after meals it hardly changes. It is so fantastic to not feel like a diabetic any more. No lows and no highs. I still have weight to lose and I am determined to hit the magic fasting 83 (normal) soon! And keep it there.

Dr. B rocks.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-06, 12:43
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
People are different.Some can probably tolerate up to 100 grams of carbs a day if they are good carbs i.e. minimal sugar and lots of whole grain with fiber in it.
Small amount of wheat pasta might be okay.2-3 pieces of Natures Own white wheat bread per day seems to be okay for me.I don't see how anyone who follows the Atkins/Bernstein diet can get enough fiber.Maybe I'll find out when my Bernstein book arrives. Each person needs to experiment a bit and find out what works for them. Let's not blindly follow the ADA,Atkins or Bernstein.

I would say that whole grains has the least amount of fiber for the total amount of carbs per serving. Vegetables are much better deal, and even some berries and fruit have more fiber and much less total carbs. Broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, spinach, lettuce, bell peppers, etc. have almost 3/4 of their carbs as fiber. A cup of fresh raspeberries has 14 g carbs with 8 g of fiber, a bunch of broccoli has 31 g total carbs with 18 g of fiber. Eat only these 2 items daily, and you will get 26 g of fiber already but you can eat a variety of non-starchy veggies and get lots of fiber, while a cup of whole wheat cereal has 25 g cabrs and only 3 g fiber per serving, beans have lots of fiber too but overall carbs count is higher too.
Actually, if you follow Atkins or Bernstein, you can get more fiber with much less carbs, that following ADA plan with lots of whole grains and starches. I don't eat grains and starches at all, but lots of non-starchy vegetable, some fruit, real kefir and yougurt, and home made sauerkraut, and I have no problem with regularity.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-06, 19:48

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Smile fiber

"I would say that whole grains has the least amount of fiber for the total amount of carbs per serving."
One slice of NaturesOwn wholewheat bread has 12 grams
of carbs and 3 grams of fiber.Beans are fiber good but too many carbs for people who follow Bernstein's WOE.
Bernstein, and Atkins before him, doesn't seem to agree
that we need 30 grams of fiber.When I did Atkins induction(which is Bernstein's concept of an everyday diet),I had a lot of trouble with constipation as did several of my friends who were doing Atkins.I blamed the
problem on lack of fiber but I may have been wrong.
LC yogurt keeps me regular these days. Sorry about the
messy subject.