Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 13:53

Plan: Lower carb 50 or under
Stats: 170/160/135 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Just a suggestion

Hi everyone

I know a lot of people are talking about holding onto water so I just wanted to pass on something that I have been doing for the last few days. It is something called the water cure. I read about it on a forum and this post from a woman got me interested to look into it further ("I've been following "the water cure" for almost 2 years now and I love the results I've have with it. Basically I add gray sea salt (Celtic) to all my drinking water. It keeps me from retaining water, helps my feet not swell up as well as keeping my skin clear and aids in my digestion. Phew. It does a lot for me and I don't want to give it up.")

I did a lot more research on the Internet decided to give it a go. Whether you try it is your choice but it has really worked for me. Basically all you do is drink half your weight in water more if you drink coffee or diet soft drinks, but for every quart (litre I am a Canadian) of water you drink you add 1/4 tsp of Celtic sea salt. By giving your body the right salt and amount of water it needs it won't have to hold onto water and so you don't retain it. I feel really different since I have been doing it and even find that I feel much more hydrated. I know it sounds like a crazy idea but if you read about it, it really makes sense. If you do this even salty food will not make you retain water because your body will not have a need to hold the water if it getting all it needs. I decided to try that and ate a bunch or really salty ham yesterday which is guaranteed to make me go up a couple of pounds and lo and behold when I weighed myself this morning I was down two pounds go figure. I also found that the salt water made me feel much more hydrated. Please note it cannot be just any sea salt it must be gray or Celtic sea salt from the health food store that has not been refined and still has all the minerals intact and this is imperative!!!

Not sure if anyone is interested but thought I would pass it on to anyone that might want to give it a go. I would love to know if you have the same results that I did. I am going to keep doing because it makes me feel really good and according to the website http://www.watercure.com/ it has a lot of other health benefits even lowering blood pressure which seems unbelievale because people with high blood pressure are told to lay off the salt.

I know that in this constant battle to lose and keep the pounds off anything that can give us a bit of an advantage especially when it comes to retaining water can only be a benefit. Curious to see what people think about this???

Keep on keeping on!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 00:59

BF:

I should correct that and say half your weight in ounces of water so it you weight 200 pounds you would drink 100 ounces of water which works out to be approximately 3 litres which sounds like a lot but it is really not hard to do. Much easier than half your weight in water lol

Kayla
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 09:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240.2/227.4/164 Female 69 inches
BF:mini goal 225
Progress: 17%

Sounds interesting.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-06, 13:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

Since you have been doing this method how much weight have you lost?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-06, 17:53

BF:

I started m&e about the same time I started with the celtic sea salt and to date have lost about 7 pounds in two weeks. The biggest surprise about using the celtic salt has been no water retention during TOM. I also like the way I feel so will keep doing it for that reason alone. If you are curious there is a great thread at
http://forum.t-tapp.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35399

There is a lot of info and you can follow other people's experiences with it.
Hope that helps

Cheers,Monicka
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-11-06, 11:55

Thanks for the link, great information! I am going to GNC after work to pick some celtic sea salt up.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-12-06, 17:11

I went to a health food store and picked up a pink sea salt which is unprocessed all natural. Would this give me the same benefits?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-12-06, 18:43
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I just ordered the celtic sea salt at www.dowsers.com. I think they have very good prices.

I'll give it a try; I have very bad water retension. I've had it all my life.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-12-06, 18:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
I just ordered the celtic sea salt at waterdowsers.com. I think they have very good prices.

I'll give it a try; I have very bad water retension. I've had it all my life.

I would love to hear how it works for you. I really find a huge difference especially during TOM not to mention it makes me feel really good and actually don't mind the salty taste of the water which is weird. Keep me posted on your results I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well it works.

Cheers,Monicka
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 05:30
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I will give it a month's trial.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 11:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayKNJ
I went to a health food store and picked up a pink sea salt which is unprocessed all natural. Would this give me the same benefits?

I think the pink stuff would be fine providing it still contained all the minerals. That is what is really important. Mine has a kind of light pinkish tinge to it too. The refined stuff is white and looks more like regular salt.

Cheers, Monicka
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 08:37

Thanks Monicka, it does have all the minerals. It was very expensive too. It is a small bottle and it cost about $5.00. But if it s good for me then it is worth it. The guy i the health food store asked what I was using it for and stated are you going to be drinking it in your water? So, this was the right one, all the others were white and processed.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 10:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 142/132/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

This is very interesting to me. Does anyone know of any stores in canada that carries these salts? i have checked the internet for the usual health food stores but can't seem to find it.

thanks

Sheila
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 10:59

BF:

I got mine at Nutters in BC in the bulk food section. I don't know if you have one out there but almost any health food store should carry it.

Monicka
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-08-06, 07:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

Drinking salty water??? I don't think I could drink salt water!