Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 23:46

Plan: Bernstein, M&E
Stats: 179/163.3/118 Female 5'4'
BF:2darnmuch
Progress: 26%

I just found out I am bipolar, but looking back to my teenaged years, I can see the cycles of ups and downs started then. I had been treated for depression in the past, but not the hypomania. I have not had a full-blown manic state. Anyway, it looks as if I used smoking to medicated this rapid cycling thing. When I stopped smoking, of course I had the normal withdrawal period of wanting to smoke and feeling slightly crazed because I wasn't going to let myself. That went away and then all of a sudden I found I could for several nights without a wink. Then I would crash. At first I just thought it was all part of the withdrawal. But after a few weeks of that, I realized I was rapid cycling. My relatively cyclothymia had morphed into something decidedly unpleasant.

The interesting thing is that no psychiatrist in town has openings until October. I went to my family doc, who sent me to the ER. She has been sending all her patients who are having problems with depression and bipolar there. She says, bless her heart, "I know just enough to be dangerous." So I went to the ER, saw the resident shrink, who recommended either Lamictal or Lithium. I wanted Lamictal but when my doc found out about the rash, she said Lithium or nothing. We are upping the dose and tomorrow I get my blood drawn.

Another thing that is tremendously interesting....I was taking Strattera for ADHD. They took me off that.

Btw, I am almost 60 years old. I feel a little strange to be getting fullblown rapidcycling bipolar this late in life.

I am truly hoping that stabilizing my diet and insulin levels by LC will have a positive impact on this.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-06, 00:04

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%

I'm Bipolar- on Zoloft, Lamictal, Seroquel & Strattera. Zoloft- keeps me from being angry all the time. Lamictal is good, I haven't had any side effects so far. My moods are more stable but I don't really feel like I've taken anything. The Straterra always has calmed me down rather than sped me up, but it does help me focus. When I don't take it I'm all over the place. For a while I was thought to be only ADD but I'd spend about half my life in the dumps. But that would always come after a manic cycle ( I guess that's how BP works ). I'm a lot more manic than depressed. Sometimes the extra energy from lc'ing can start a hypomanic episode, but then I just take the seroquel to slow it down. It can be hard staying ahead of the moods, but life is way better on the meds than off. At least I can predict my own behavior on them!

It is also hard to diet while you have to keep up with all the meds. I just keep the plan as simple as possible. The weight loss is slower but I feel more sane not obsessing over every little thing I eat.

Getting the right diagnoses is the best thing that can happen.

Good luck & Feel free to talk anytime!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-06, 08:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

"So I went to the ER, saw the resident shrink, who recommended either Lamictal or Lithium. I wanted Lamictal but when my doc found out about the rash, she said Lithium or nothing."

Mirielle,

Usually lithium is tried first, but it is notorious for not working for bipolars who rapid cycle. The rash problem with Lamictal is extremely rare (it happens with a few other drugs too).
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-06, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthgirl
I've never been diagnosed with bipolar, but I have been treated for depression. Sometimes, I think I'm more than likely bipolar because of how I do seem to have cycles of normalcy with occasional fights with depression.
It's normal to be that way. That's called "typical depression," where you cycle in and out of the downs. It's only bipolar if the normalcy is manic.

I have "atypical depression," which is where you are down all the time - no periods of normalcy. As long as I keep up with the meds, though, life is okay.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-06, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogbreath
"So I went to the ER, saw the resident shrink, who recommended either Lamictal or Lithium. I wanted Lamictal but when my doc found out about the rash, she said Lithium or nothing."

Mirielle,

Usually lithium is tried first, but it is notorious for not working for bipolars who rapid cycle. The rash problem with Lamictal is extremely rare (it happens with a few other drugs too).

I know, Frogbreath, which is why I am so not happy. I had already read up and knew Lamictal would probably work by the time I got to my GP. I also know that Lithium has less chance of working and also my ruin my thyroid. But I also understand my poor GP's POV; right now she and the ER doc are managing this as a favor till I can get in to see a shrink....which is October 5th. Anyway, my GP heard about that very rare fatal rash and wigged out.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 08:53

Plan: Low Carb WOE
Stats: 156/135/135 Female 66 inches
BF:28/17%/19%
Progress: 100%

Well, I have been following this thread. I have been fighting off a down cycle, and last night, it mowed me down. I'm a little better off today. God, I do not want to get on meds again. I took them years ago (don't remember which one), and I just don't wanna do it again! I'm afraid it will mess with my weight, and that it will take "me" away. I know many others have found relief with medication, and I would never discourage any one from medical interventions. I guess I'm just scared and stubborn.

I think I'm pretty functional, as far as being able to work and conduct my life w/o the meds, but I wonder if I'm avoiding something based on irrational fears and limited information.

I hope I don't start a debate, I'm just weighing my options right now.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 10:45

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Perhaps you can rely on your families advice as to how they feel you are coping. An outside opinion from someone who cares about you would give you a good perspective I would guess. Combining your assessment of you condition with theirs should have you coming out with a fair evaluation if meds would be recommendable or if you are coping quite well on your own. Just my humble opinion...others know more no doubt!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 15:20

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%

Quote:
I'm afraid it will mess with my weight, and that it will take "me" away.

I was scared of this too. It had been many years since being on meds when I decided to take them again, and they are much better now than they were even 10 years ago. I actually feel more like "me" than before. I'm not so manic that I'm trying to do so many things I don't really care about. I was afraid of losing creativity but I've been able to focus a lot better and have finished 2 murals, plus had an art showing (the most productive I've been with my art in years). It's a hard decision, but my symptoms just kept getting worse. It may be worth another try.

weight's the same on or off meds. I just wish they could make a medication that could make you lose weight & treat BPD!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 16:46
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

I can't speak to BPD, but getting on meds for depression has definetly made me more "me," the "me" God meant for me to be.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 19:14

Plan: Low Carb WOE
Stats: 156/135/135 Female 66 inches
BF:28/17%/19%

Gonna see my new doc on Tuesday...:::gulp:::

Why do so many of us avoid doctors for years for no appearant reason?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 20:53

If a medication makes you feel terrible, tell the doctor and ask to go off.

There is a tremendous amount of info about bipolar on the web.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 22:49

Well, I have good news, in that I will not have to wait till October to see a pdoc. My dear bil sees a psychiatrist for his bipolar condition. Both my bil and his wife say this man is wonderful, calls back if you have any questions, and really works with you. They got me in next Saturday, the 22nd. He is out of town but my insurance company is covering it and will pay.

In the meantime, I called my doc and am tapering off the Lithium. I just hate the stuff. It does not work for me and it has been a bloat disaster. I feel as if I just ate a whole bunch of pizza and I drink constantly. I am also hoping that I can go back on Strattera, which worked for my ADHD, Zoloft, Lamictal or Tegretol, and something to knock me on my butt at night.

I am definitely hypomanic, dysphoric a lot of the time, and all the lithium has done is make me feel awful. In addition, I am taking an ACE inhibitor and NEVER should have been on the Lithium in the first place.

Hanging in there. My hubby is admiring my strength....because of the dysphoria, the wierd hypomanic anger, the agitation, and this incredible clumsiness and lack of coordination, I would just love to sit down and eat a whole bunch of carbs...but I haven't and I am NOT going to do it.
Carbs always put me to sleep. (You would never know I am hypomanic after Thanksgiving dinner....rofl.) But I have been good, no cheating, even though I feel crazy.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 08:10

BF:

So glad to see that you have a Dr. appointment the 22nd and that insurance covers it!! Keep us posted!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 10:12

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8

Bipolar and hating it. My mom was too. didn't realize it until she passed on. The I was diagnosed in these m late yrs of life. Looking back I can see I was all along. I stoped taking the pills altogether because they made me sick. Good luck to all of you.
Anna
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 12:32

BF:

Fat..how do you feel without any meds?