Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-06, 12:19
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%
Default Bi-Polar Disorder

Just curious if anyone else here is dealing with Bi-Polar disorder. I have been dealing with it for a long time but was just recently diagnosed. I also have OCD....and am taking zoloft and topomax....i'm curious if anyone else has any suggestions, or experience with medications? Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Samantha22 : Wed, Jun-14-06 at 13:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-06, 13:40

Plan: LC/IF and such
Stats: -/-/- Female 60 inches
BF:2 spare tires
Progress: 33%

My mother is Bi-polar. She is on a lot of medication though. I don't have a lot of advice about medicines.. except to CONTINUE to take them.. even when you feel better. I know there is a vicous cycle of maybe forgetting them, then thinking "Hey I haven't taken it in a few days and feel fine" to spiraling downhill and having to wait weeks to feel good again! Also, stay with your appointments! Don't skip them.. let your dr know EXACTLY what is going on. If you hide things..t hey can't help you.

(((HUGS))) I hope this helps some!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-06, 13:53
7 yrs and counting!

Thanks. Yea i have a hard time remembering to take the meds. The biggest part of my problem is up until now i've been avoiding telling them what's going on...knowing that they'd be able to diagnose me. Silly i know.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 07:47

(((HUGS))) You will feel better when you take care of yourself! (((HUGS))) Praying for you!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 12:57
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Samantha, I applaud you for being brave enough to talk about this. It is hard to do. Not silly at all!

I don't know anything about bipolar disorder at all, I'm sorry. I have dealt with chronic depression in my life though and I know the stigma attached to this type of stuff. Good for you for getting it diagnosed, getting treatment and seeking support for it.

I hope others will join you here and you guys can support each other.

Val
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 14:26
7 yrs and counting!

Thank you
I found one other thread on here..but it was over a year old...so i figured i'd start a new one...hopefully others will join..I know it would really help to hear from some people who aren't new to this.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 14:33

Plan: Low Carb WOE
Stats: 156/135/135 Female 66 inches
BF:28/17%/19%
Progress: 100%

I've never been diagnosed with bipolar, but I have been treated for depression. Sometimes, I think I'm more than likely bipolar because of how I do seem to have cycles of normalcy with occasional fights with depression.

I really fight it when I feel it sneaking in, because it's easier to ward off than it is to overcome, it you know what I mean?

It has been in my family on both parents' side for many generations, and everyone has dealt with it differently, not always well.

I think low carbing does really affect mood. I can say that in my experience, my moods are much more even and manageable while I'm low carb, but if I deplete myself TOO much, I bottom out. I just cannot go below 15 or 20 g of carbs or I'll crash.

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm in pretty good shape right now. How about you?

Michelle
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 14:45
7 yrs and counting!

Well i thought i was in good shape...lol.
I'm really not...denial is an awful thing..i tell ya.
OCD and depression are in my family....i have both...but i think that the depression is moreso the bipolar episodes. I used to cycle maybe like every two months where i'd be a wacko for a few days and then i'd be real sad for a few days then i'd be fine for weeks....but now i cycle almost daily. It's exhausting. Just acknowledging that it's a problem for me has helped...but it's also causing alot of things to come up...but as things tend to get worse...i'm sure they'll get better too!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 17:14

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

I've been diagnosed as being bipolar, and had been diagnosed as also having OCD early on in my teen years. Plus I have in the past been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa.
I am on lithium for the bipolar because nothing else worked, so I deal with having the side effects. I was on all sorts of antideppressants, most just skyrocketed me off into LaLa land, so for the time being at least I dont take any.

Glad to find a place to speak with others who are in similar situations.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 17:38

Quote:
I really fight it when I feel it sneaking in, because it's easier to ward off than it is to overcome, it you know what I mean?

I suffer from depression and I agree with this! I do the same thing. IT's like fighting a panic attack... UGH!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 19:34
Registered Member

Plan: Whey Protein & Skim Milk
Stats: 240/150/160 Male 66 inches
BF:No Thanks!
Progress: 113%

Ask your Therapist what
Codependency is and if
s/he has any good books
you could read on it.

Lamictal is good for bipolar, or so I am told.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-06, 18:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Hi! My daughter is bipolar. She suffers mania more than depression tho. For 20 years she faithfully took her RX's but currently is refusing them, and is in the hospital as I sit here typing. She is refusing meds. and has a right to refuse them, I am told. My hands are tied. As a Mother it is heatbreaking to not be able to help your child, regardless of their age. My advice is truely to pat yourself on the back for taking responsibility for your condition and continue faithfully on your meds no matter how long you have been on them. I'm in your corner! (hugs) Edie
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 13:25

Plan: Low Carb WOE
Stats: 156/135/135 Female 66 inches
BF:28/17%/19%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by edie
Hi! My daughter is bipolar. She suffers mania more than depression tho. For 20 years she faithfully took her RX's but currently is refusing them, and is in the hospital as I sit here typing. She is refusing meds. and has a right to refuse them, I am told. My hands are tied. As a Mother it is heatbreaking to not be able to help your child, regardless of their age. My advice is truely to pat yourself on the back for taking responsibility for your condition and continue faithfully on your meds no matter how long you have been on them. I'm in your corner! (hugs) Edie

It is heartbreaking to see your kids in pain. You are doing alot by being there and supporting her as best you can.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 23:18
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

I have depression. I loved Zoloft, but watch your weight! I gained 40 pounds on it. Then I tried Wellbutrin. Didn't work well for me. Now I'm on Celexa and doing well but the weight gain properties make weight loss harder for me.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 10:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I'm bipolar and have been since childhood (which was a hell of a long time ago). My emotional cycles have made it harder to lose the weight. I go though periods when I no longer think straight. It's either feeling like I don't have a problem with my weight or feeling like it's hopeless anyway. Wherever I am mood-wise feels like reality to me and I can't imagine feeling any other way about things.

I'm on Lamictal, Wellbutrin and Cymbalta. It's a little weird to be taking 2 antidepressants at one time but it's not sending me manic yet. My depression that lasted from Nov through Feb almost certainly got started because my psychiatrist of 6 years closed his practice.

Being bipolar adds to the normal ups and downs of life - and then some. The highs are higher and the lows are lower. I haven't noticed that low carb helps it in any way, but that's not why I'm doing it. Losing 55 lbs sent me into anxiety attacks starting about a month ago, but that's settled down as of this week. Now I'm going to lose a little more - until my next...whatever. I'm just going to go with the flow and whenever I can, I know what to do with my eating.

All my drugs are either weight neutral or they actually help me lose. Cymbalta curbs appetite big time.