Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-28-06, 14:21

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%
Default meopause

I had a hysterectomy(partical) in 99. My dr. told me i would need my ovarys for a few more yrs. Two yrs later the hot flashes started, I have been on a rollercoaster with them for 5 ys. I can't take hormones because of the adrenal ca. I had, and girls don't ignore the adrenal burn out Dr.'s talk about. There real. I only have one, and the stress isn't 1/2 for me, its all that it has ever been and only on one adrenal to handle it. I just pray I'll live through menopause, it really taxes the adrenal because of the imbalances of hormones. And LCing I think helps keep the hormones in better balance. I know menopause is sucking part of life, but we are all doing it together. I hit the big 50 this yr. and hope to make it a golden yr by losing 40 lbs.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-28-06, 16:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Yes I Will...you scared the daylights out of me..I have had no period for 1yr 9mon......I would be devastated if they resumed!!!

This is a time in our lives, girls, when "self care " is essential...

exercise and good eating necessary as never before!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-28-06, 20:14

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Even with the weight gain, eating healthy and exercise is the most important. One thing that I forgot to mention, although I did put on weight, I continue to wear size 8s.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 07:23

BF:

Amen,Black57 !!
Size 8!!!!! awesome!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 08:00

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yeah. Congrats. I'm up to 12s again. Was in 10s, and almost in 8s. I'm happy for you. Truly I am. BUT I WANT IT TO WORK FOR ME AGAIN!

I have to admit I've not been 100% with the plan. I am now, though. I just have to get it through my thick skull that my body can't handle carbs well. I need to eat clean.

A number of you ladies showed me it CAN be done, if only I work at it.

Ummm, you're sure there isn't some magic pill I could take?

#21   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 09:15

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Bawdy, you are one of the most inspirational women to me on these forums. We are about the same age and have pretty much the same problems. You are sticking to the low carb lifestyle and you are beatiful. Girl, you will succeed!!!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 10:12

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Yeah. Congrats. I'm up to 12s again. Was in 10s, and almost in 8s. I'm happy for you. Truly I am. BUT I WANT IT TO WORK FOR ME AGAIN!

I have to admit I've not been 100% with the plan. I am now, though. I just have to get it through my thick skull that my body can't handle carbs well. I need to eat clean.

A number of you ladies showed me it CAN be done, if only I work at it.

Ummm, you're sure there isn't some magic pill I could take?

I have to second Black's sentiments as I also have found you to be one of the most inspirational ladies on this forum.....when I first began reading your posts, I was barely squeezing my fat buns into a tight size 20. Now, I am raiding my 16 yo dd's closet for her 2/3s. (I credit the prog. cream to this, btw...been stable in a size 4 since Oct. 05, releasing all the water after starting topical hormones put me in her clothes).

YES, it CAN be done!

As Jonah pointed out, we have to work a little harder to take care of ourselves in this stage of life. Yeah, it sucks a bit that a good diet, exercise, and some supplementation has become a necessity rather than just a way to feel better and look better....but it is just a part of getting older, and I'd take it over a magic pill any day!

Another thing too, is that I don't think going up one size with a 25 pound gain is that bad -- I bet ALOT of your excess weight IS in water retention.

Hang in there Bawdy, it will get better :-)
  #23   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 10:50

BF:

You guys are great. Thanks so much for the support! You don't know what it means (or then again, maybe you do!).
  #24   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 11:43

Stats: 178/135/140 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi Brandy

I want to third what the girls said, you are truly an inspirational to us all. I away read a thread if I see you have posted.
I am also premenopausal and although I have lost a fair amount of weight on LC I think if I was a few year younger and not so near menapause I would have lost easier as well there is always a threat of weight regain...ten years ago life was busy but I never had a weight problem, I gained all my weight after 40....
I have so many problems just before TOM, but I am a woman and so I go with the flow, some months it's easier than others...

You can do this, just take it one day at a time, I think we need to be active all woman need to take the time to workout and see about us.
Thank you so much for sharing so much with us.
Warmest Regards,
Joy
  #25   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 12:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinigirl
Hi Brandy

Umm, thanks for the warm wishes, but it's BAWDY, not Brandy!

(Just razzing you!)
  #26   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 16:07

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Hey Everyone -

I too am in peri-menopause and these last 3 months my weightloss has slooowed way down. I only lost a lb in May! I have also been very, very tired, hoarse, losing some hair, drier skin than normal, feeling kinda weak anyway I went to a naturopath and found out my adrenals are blown and I have very low thyroid due to low iodine. I too believe in low adrenals and think it is something legit. These symptoms I have listed are signs of low adrenals/thyroid.

Anyway, I thought I would throw this out there because some of my symptoms might match with others. I googled low adrenals and hypothyroidism and looked at a list of symptoms of which I had several. I have just started taking some kelp which will help the low iodine/thyroid and another supplement for the adrenals so we shall see.

I have been very frustrated myself after losing so well right after the first of the year and then down to nothing and I feel like I am trying harder than ever.

Good luck everyone with finding what works for you!!!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 16:39

BF:

Bawdy..I truly enjoy your posts!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 17:26
Registered Member

Plan: FF/TSP/Improv
Stats: 200/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:size 18/16/10
Progress: 40%

Wow! Y'all are such a good bunch! I think I found the right forum---so inspiring and smart. I have some comments and questions. Hey Bawdy I used to live in Maine...love that place...and in NH.
Now in Missouri.
So:
Menopause is a very interesting time isn't it?. I am 55 and
finally seem to have stabilized. Except for the weight gain
thing, I feel and (some say) look 15-20 years younger.
Back to being very sexy, feisty and may I say not at all foggy. Perhaps it is just general immaturity haha. But...For so many of us who are health conscious and vibrant--"the change" can feel like a betrayal of nature. Anyhow, I really felt that way. And
probably did a little too much micronized progesterone...and certainly consumed waayyy too much soy for years. BTW, for
anyone with thyroid issues, try googling it with soy. I sure
felt better when I went back to eating like a cavewoman.
I of course do also have a big problem with carbs and insulin...can really relate to your frustration, Bawdy (love that name!). I do think that adrenal fatigue is real but that W to W
is really into selling stuff. Schwartzbein has a lot of good info but really, we are probably varied into many more "types" than she comes up with. AND I think she is into selling stuff, too.
I agree with 'lady' that you probably can be more accurate that anyone in knowing your needs...and you REALLY deserve a practitioner who listens and respects you. Period. Otherwise they are failing you.
Gawd, I thought the hot flashes would never end. I mean, Volcanic. I discovered that carbs make them much worse.
Eat sugar, have a hot flash. & then ten more.
I just want to let people know that I was someone who thought my youth, beauty, brains, physical and mental health, sexuality...were history...and for a while maybe things did get a bit strange...but now , out of what seemed a tunnel...looking back...I think I am better than before. A feeling of wholeness and primacy. And oh did I forget to mention how sexy I've become? geez. is it Testosterone my body is cranking out???
I would not give up cholesteral (proto-hormone) for anything.

OK...now I really need advice from you experts (that means everybody ;o)) about designing my own way thru this LC thing. I find that in induction, that is under 20 carbs per day, I feel abasolutely terrible. My immune system and serotonin take a dive and the afore-mentioned sense of wonderfullness is gone. So, I decided to add some veg and fruit...just one or two fruits seem to make all the difference.
Now I feel fine. Will I still lose weight?
I want to lose 50 lbs but if there is progress, it doesn't have to be dramatic and I am lifting weights to build muscle mass so it is really dress size I'm after. Size 8-10 if ya please.
I am 5'9" if I do yoga.
And I would love it if my arm flesh didn't wave around while fiddling.
Regards,
Your friendly Elfgirl.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 17:38

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfgirl
OK...now I really need advice from you experts (that means everybody ;o)) about designing my own way thru this LC thing. I find that in induction, that is under 20 carbs per day, I feel abasolutely terrible. My immune system and serotonin take a dive and the afore-mentioned sense of wonderfullness is gone. So, I decided to add some veg and fruit...just one or two fruits seem to make all the difference.
Now I feel fine. Will I still lose weight?
I want to lose 50 lbs but if there is progress, it doesn't have to be dramatic and I am lifting weights to build muscle mass so it is really dress size I'm after. Size 8-10 if ya please.
I am 5'9" if I do yoga.
And I would love it if my arm flesh didn't wave around while fiddling.
Regards,
Your friendly Elfgirl.

I follow PPLP, which starts you out at 30/40 carbs and allows fruit from the beginning....lost all my weight without ever doing an Atkins style induction.

I tend to feel crappy if I let my carbs get too low as well, and I think that is probably an indicator that you DO need more, and can probably tolerate some fruit servings.

I've seen many post that they don't do well with fruit, even the low sugar berries and melons -- I personally never had a problem with it, and tend to feel better when I include fruit.

If you find your weight loss is too slow for your liking, you can try adding a little cardio in addition to the Yoga which should kick things back up.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 17:44
Registered Member

Plan: FF/TSP/Improv
Stats: 200/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:size 18/16/10
Progress: 40%

THANKS for the quick reply. What is PPLP??
I will look into it immediately.
Your results, MeBLady, are truly impressive.
You are full of good info...I did look at your pics earlier today...amazing. I am going to eat a nectarine.
;o)