Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 05:59
KndaFeisty

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

What a fantastic post Nat! Thank you for taking the time!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 09:59

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Nat,
Two questions -
#1 - Do you think an overweight, middle-aged (how I hate that term), diabetic, hypothyroid woman like myself can do BFL and Low Carb?

#2 - I don't want to get real muscled - just slender and fit - is this a good program for me?

Thanks for your answers - and for sharing so much info - I lurk all of the time....
Susan
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 10:14

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there Susan......

I'm not Nat, but I was overweight, am middle-aged , with diabetic tendencies (it's in my family), and on thyroid medication. I'd have to say a resounding YES to your first question!

To the second question; women don't build muscle like men...we have to really make an effort to build bulging muscles so you don't need to worry about becoming too muscular.

The benefits of doing BFL and LCing will make you wish that you'd discovered both years ago! Go for it!! I know that you'll find lots of support in information here.

Marlaine
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 11:09

BF:

Thanks, Marlaine,
I've been looking at it and feeling somewhat intimidated, but I am determined to give it a try. I want a better body for the last half of my life than I've had the first half. I want, more than looking good, to feel strong and healthy, without starving.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 11:20

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Susan.....

I can understand the intimidation. When I began, I was at 200 pounds and had never lifted weights in my whole life. All that it takes is "attitude". If you haven't gotten the book yet, consider investing or borrow it from the library. Bill Philips does and excellent job of inspiration in the book. Besides that, you can start a Gym Log and get information and inspiration from some of the rest of us that have done BFL too. Check out the logs of Homegirl, Ruth, Nat, DivaDani, lisaf and mine, to name a few of us who have done BFL or are doing.

Marlaine
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 11:50

BF:

Actually, Marlaine, I have the book. I just need to dust it off and read it again. And I love reading the journals - don't they uplift you? I read lisaf's journal over on the Schwarzbein plan, and she is just so inspiring, even though or maybe because she 's not perfect. I'm doing Schwarzbein because I feel like, that for me and my medical conditions, her's is the best plan. I'm getting excited about trying BFL. Thanks for your encouragement.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 19:20

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Susan, I honestly believe that anyone can do it What have you got to lose but flab and fat, right? I wouldnt worry about becoming 'overly muscled' - women do not have the right hormonal profile for such natural development (it takes some un natural aide). Lifting heavy does not mean looking heavy.

Great to have you join us!
Nat
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 12:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Bump. Updated with new info on supplements and workouts.

Nat
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 02:33
Registered Member

Plan: LC Mixture
Stats: 190/179/160
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Balance in Percentages of nutrients

Hi Nat,

Thanks for the information. Just an extra question.

You say here:

"Protein requirements / needs will also vary - I would keep it at a minimum 1g per lb of LBM though. You do need to increase carbs – this kind of intensity cannot be done at a level of <20g of carbs a day. If you feel sluggish and tired and you’re doing everything else correctly then look to increasing your carbs."

Just wondering exactly how much you would up the carbs by?

I know that ona basic Atkins Induction you are to go no more than carbs and it is obvious that we need more when weight lifting, but is there any information about the correct balance of fat/protein/carbs?

What percentage of your total calorific intake in carbs and then what percentage is fat?
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 07:43

Plan: CAD + reg. fast
Stats: 214/153.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:34.5/18/14
Progress: 77%

I found a very comfortable balance right around 30% fat, 40% carbs 30% protein. The workouts feel comfortable and so does all else.
  #86   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 07:41

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Count me in ...

I picked up a copy of BFL yesterday, and I'm going to begin tomorrow (Monday). Thanks bunches and bunches to all of you, especially Nat for that highly informative Sticky! I'll probably be popping in with questions ... I ask lots of questions.

We have a stationary weight machine (with cables), and it didn't feel like I was getting anywhere with that, so I switched to free weights ... but the book I had suggested a program that took me an hour and a half to do, and that's 90 minutes EACH for UBWO and LBWO -- plus it made no recommendation for aerobic activity. So I got a Pilates video -- HAH! Ever see a 288 lb woman try to do Pilates? Not a pretty sight, and I needed help getting off the floor! Then I saw where several people in the Fitness Challenge were using "The Firm" videos, so I went and got a set of those ... another mistake, as the pace was so fast, I couldn't keep up with the moves.

Sooooooo ... yesterday, I took ALL the videos (DVD's) to a store that buys used DVD's, and took my cash-in-hand to the bookstore and picked up BFL. Whew! Have I taken a winding road to fitness, or what?

Anyway, I could sure use all the advice you care to give ...

One question to start me off (told you, I'm full of questions) -- right now, here are the supplements I take every day:

A basic multivitamin
Super-B Complex (contains all the B's and C)
Cal-Mag-Zinc (also includes D)
Potassium (w/the multi, this gives me a total of 278 mg/day)

I know I should get some glutamine, and will while I'm out today. Can y'all think of anything else I should be taking? My multi, by the way, offers 75mg C and 60IU E per day.

Thanks again -- you guys are such an inspiration. Hope I do as well!
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 03:57

Plan: Body for life - with lo-carb option
Stats: 165/165/133
BF:43/43/23
Cool Just thought i'd say Hi!

I was about to say how fab you're looking in your new pic but you've turned into a herd of Wilderbeast!!!

Just thought i'd say Hello and I'm back AGAIN! Glad to see my inspiration is still here! (That's you by the way!)

Phoebe
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: Body for life (4/03), atkins
Stats: 144/134/125
BF:
Progress: 53%
Talking Just started BFL

I have a question... I was sore last week when I did my arms...I was sore for a couple of days. I could not lift them. This week I was not sore is that bad. My muscles are just tired. This is my leg week... and my legs have been killing me. But I did my arms on wednsday and I didn' experience the pain I felt last week. Does this mean I my work out did not work as well to build muscle?
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 17:57
Registered Member

Plan: Body for life (4/03), atkins
Stats: 144/134/125
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default peanut butter

Would peanut butter count as a meal with a banana in the BFL diet? or is that not enough protien?
  #90   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 10:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Jenny, The first two weeks I did BFL I was really sore too. Now I can usually "feel it" a little afterwards. You're doin' fine. Peanut butter also has carbohydrates in it and bananas are high in carbs, so that isn't enough carbs. May need to add some protein powder or meat.

Piano