Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 07:32
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Nat, while we're on this subject maybe you could shed some light for me....

I'm in C1W2D2 and I've had little soreness....just enough to know that I've been working out, y'know? I definitely feel like I'm hitting the intensities I should be although I'm not lifting much weight. I do work the muscles to failure (which is, I assume, the point at which they won't do what you ask them to do) to reach my 10's.

So my question is: Do you think glutamine is that helpful (I'm taking 15 g/day) or am I just not working out to the intensities I should be? I wonder..........

Maybe I should look for a trainer to help get me started.....
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 07:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
So my question is: Do you think glutamine is that helpful (I'm taking 15 g/day) or am I just not working out to the intensities I should be? I wonder..........

It is THAT helpful, Teri.

You may want to get your hands on some good descriptions and maybe some videos online of how to perform the moves to ensure you are using correct form. You can see some online here 2-fit.com and at ExRx (click on the exercise then choose the method). Often changing the degree of bend in your arm can make a world of difference.

But, the glutamine does make a huge difference - not only in soreness but in muscle wasting (it helps prevent it) and in the release of Human Growth Hormone in your body. It also helps keep your immune system bolstered.

You may find that you only feel that real soreness at the beginning of every 4 weeks when you've changed exercises. You can work on this by by watching form and emphasizing the eccentric part of your moves. The eccentric is the 'down' part - take it slower than normal, usually to a count of 3 or 4 and raise with a count of 2. For example, on a chest fly you would raise on a count of 2 and lower on a count of 4. Hold at bottom for count of 1 then raise on count of two. You'll feel a difference - this is also a good way to compensate if you do not have heavy enough weights for some exercises. Going slower is harder.

HTH
Nat
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 08:06
Starting Over!

Great tips, Nat..... thanks so much!!!
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 03:10

Plan: Body for life - with lo-carb option
Stats: 165/165/133
BF:43/43/23
Progress: 0%
Cool i ve just got the end of week one on BFL

I just have a question ...i haven't got the book yet for BFL but i'm confused as to how much protein either in percentage or in grams, i should be consuming each day.

I've read somewhere to try 40fat/40pro and 20 carbs and i'm not sure if thats what i should be aiming at.

Could someone help me?????

Many thanks

Phoebe

BTW i can feel it this week but i still feel fine.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 06:02
Starting Over!

I assume you're trying to adapt BFL to a LC nutrition program, right? If you're eating 1600 cals/day, the percentages you quote would be 71g of fat, 160g of protein and 80g of carbs. I think you'll do fine at those levels....don't you agree, Nat?

I'm in week 3 and have been trying to find the best carb level while keeping it as low as possible. So far I've found that I need about 50-60/day to maintain a decent energy level. I think Nat keeps hers at about 80, but then again, she works out more intently than I do. Why don't you shoot for 50-60 for a week or so and see how you feel. If you find yourself dragging a bit, or your workouts are sluggish, add a few more.

- Never eat those carbs without protein and fat at the same time.
- Definitely eat some carbs and vitamin C within 45 mins. of lifting to assist in glycogen recovery to your muscles
- After cardio, wait at least an hour before eating to give your body a chance to burn some fat while your metabolism is rev'd up.
- Spread your carbs out throughout the day

I"m sure Nat will answer you better than me, but that'll get you started.

Good luck to you!
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 07:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
I"m sure Nat will answer you better than me, but that'll get you started.

Nope, not really

Phoebs, it's a matter of how you're going to be following the program. As written, BFL is low fat/lower carb, as we are following it here it is similar to Protein Power or Atkins at near maintencance level carbs.

We can give you all the input and direction required for a LC version of BFL, but for it as written I'd need to consult my book and / or the L&S website (www.leanandstrong.com).

Doing the program as Teri, Marlaine, Bobbie (homegirl), Lisaf, Ruth and I are, the advice Teri gave you is rigth on - go with it.

HTH
Nat
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 11:51

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question Do I understand this right?

Am I correct in understanding that after WT training eat within 45', but after cardio, wait at least 1 hour? Is there any minimum wait time after wt training? Also, I will probably be doing more "toning" vs. wt training for my LBWO (see post under BFL) when should my meal come after that session?

Can't wait till Mon. to officially join the BBFLBC
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 12:07

BF:
Unhappy

It seems I forgot a letter in the accronym. It's the: BMBFLBC!
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 14:44

BF:
Default Re: Do I understand this right?

Quote:
Originally posted by missatc
Is there any minimum wait time after wt training? Also, I will probably be doing more "toning" vs. wt training for my LBWO (see post under BFL) when should my meal come after that session?

You can eat right after weight training if you wish - the 45 minutes is the length of time you should not go past. Your muscles are looking for protein after you've exhausted them, you do not want them looking to other muscles for this. You also want to get the carbs in to help control cortisol that is running through your body. This is also when you should take your anti oxidants (Vit C & E).

I'll address the toning vs. lifting question in your other post

Nat
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 17:39

BF:
Smile

Thanks again, NAT!

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your time, not just responding, but all of the time you must spend researching and learning. You're a must in my fitness library.
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 17:48

BF:

KT, just think how educated you'll be at the end of your 12 weeks! The great thing about all this researching and learning is that you get to share it. This has become a slight obsession for me - being able to share and discuss it here is wonderful. My friends appreciate the forum as well - it means I can spare them

Nat
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 23:35

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by missatc
It seems I forgot a letter in the accronym. It's the: BMBFLBC!

LOL

KT...That's Teri's version of the Club's name.

My version is simply:

Bodacious BFL Babes

BFL makes me feel GREAT. There is no mental anguish involved and very little physical pain. Thank goodness for L-glute!

Marlaine
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 23:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
This has become a slight obsession for me - being able to share and discuss it here is wonderful.

I have to say AMEN to that one! This is one obsession that I'm grateful for having been inspired to!

Marlaine
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 06:32
Starting Over!

HA! Yeah, Marlaine... Nat helpled me with that one.... I was telling her how I *liked* being sore after working out and thought that was kinda sick. Apparently I'm not the only one around here who enjoys that "pain"!!

Ya'll have a GREAT day!
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 09:21

BF:

Teri.....

LOL, Then maybe you could rephrase it so that it identifies YOU as the masochistic member...How about this?

Proud Masochistic member of the Bodacious BFL Babes

If anything, I think I'm a Hedonistic Bodacious BFL Babe!

Marlaine