Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#91   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 07:07

Plan: Paleo-ish
Stats: 307/287/250 Male 6'5"
BF:too much
Progress: 35%

Cats,

Could you post your zucchini egg casserole and lasagna recipes? We've got zucchini and yellow squash comin out our ears!
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 09:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

GREAT.........now that I have new recipes for zucchini, I have NO zucchini !!!
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 16:10

Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Egg Casserole
1 lb. sausage, browned
1 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
12 med. eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream with 1/4 cup water added
a few shakes of onion salt
Spray 9 x 13 pan with Pam. Just mix all the above ingredients together and pour into pan. Bake at 370 degrees for 25 minutes. Freezes really well.
Enjoy.
Cats
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Aug-01-06, 16:22

Zucchini lasagna: I just make lasagan, no recipe, so I'll try typing it out.
Make about 3/8" thick slices from the zucchini and saute them in skillet (I put in just enough olive oil to keep them from sticking) Just get them kind of softened up (about like you would if you had them grilled). It takes me 3 electric skillets of these for a 9x13 pan of lasagna, so this is a little time consuming.
Place the zucchini in the bottom of 9x13 pan (just like if you were using pasta)
Brown 1 lb. hamburger, with some onion, drain grease off.
Add tomotoe sauce to hamburger. I found that Prego garden style just had 13 net carbs in whole jar. I used 1/2 jar of that and a pint of my home canned tomatoe sauce which I knew was pure tomatoe, no sugar.
About 1 tsp. oregano and a little garlic powder.
While that simmers and blends flavors together, press 8 oz small curd cottage cheese in a colendar to remove excess liquid. Beat 1 egg. Add the cottage cheese to egg and beat a little more. Add about 1/4 cup parmessian cheese, some coarse ground black pepper and about 1 T. parsley flakes.
Spread 1/2 the hamb. mixture over 1st layer zucchini, then 1/2 the cheese mixture, cover that with 1 cup shredded monzarella cheese. Do another layer of zucchini and repeat rest of layers.
Bake at 350 degrees about 40 minutes.
Also freezes really good! I found that putting the individual servings on cheap paper plates and freezing. When it thaws the paper plate sort of absorbs the excess moisture/grease. So I just slide it onto a real plate and heat in microwave.
Cats
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 10:42

Thanks Cats, will definitely be trying these
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 11:00

We put up 94 Quarts of sweet corn yesterday!!!
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 11:55

I have to make 1 correction on the lasagna info - I looked again at a Prego label while I was in the store yesterday, the 13 net carbs was per 1/2 c. serving (but still, I only used 1/2 jar + basically pure tomotoe pulp for what ended up being 8 servings for me.)
We always used to freeze a ton of sweet corn too, but family has changed a bit in how much corn we eat. Still had some left from last year, so didn't have to do that job this year. I confess, I did eat a couple ears of corn on the cob though. You just can't live in NE and not have corn on the cob in season!
Yesterday, on way home from work, I was really hungry & really tempted to get a DQ blizzard again. But then the thought came to me, Milligan has a wonderful, fairly cheap, meat-laden buffet on Wed. nights! So, I picked up 2 of my friends and we went to the buffet. I probably overate a bit, but at least it was all meat and lettuce salad; and I came away stuffed! Kinda' nice to feel "stuffed" once in a while.
Have a good day everyone!
Cats
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 19:32

Well, successfully completed first full day back on induction. Had flax bread for breakfast, salad with lots of meat for lunch, and Cats' zuchinni egg casserole for supper (with some slight modifications). My pants were getting too dam tight!!
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-06, 06:43

PV - what did you think of the egg casserole? And what modifications did you add?
I discovered that the individual servings frozen on small paper plate and stuck in a zip lock baggie - Once frozen, 5 will stack up nicely inside a Blue Bunny 5 qt ice cream pail. It keeps the freezer neater than having all those package flying loose & I can bring a pail to work on Monday & have enough for all week If I want to eat the same thing for lunch every day! (I have access to a fridge/freezer here).
Good luck back on your LC plan!
cats
  #100   ^
Old Sat, Aug-05-06, 12:09

Plan: general
Stats: 210/157/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:alot
Progress: 59%

Just stumbled on this thread - I'm from fremont! Go huskers!! Just wanted to say hi.
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-06, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrus
PV - what did you think of the egg casserole? And what modifications did you add?

Cats,
The casserole was excellent!! I used yellow squash instead of zuchinni. I also added mushrooms and 1/4 of feta cheese. It took a little longer to bake in our oven, but it worked out OK.

As far as leftovers, there were none, the whole family ate it for supper (wife and 4 kids), and they all liked it too.

Next time around, I'm gonna add some green chiles-I didn't have any at the time, or I'd have added them. Take care, and thanks again.
Gregg
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-06, 09:26

mclukey,

Welcome to the thread and yay go Huskers!!!
  #103   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-06, 09:28

So far I think I'm the only guy here from NE, feelin a little 'outnumbered' lol
  #104   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-06, 11:23

Stats: 246/193/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hey y'all mind if I join ya. My name is Nicci and I live in York. I'm a single mom with two boys who keep me pretty busy. I did low carb about 5 yrs ago and lost about 50 lbs. Had another baby and the weight has crept back on. I have lost 27 lbs so far this time around. I have been stuck for a few weeks, but will just keep doing what i am doing i know it works and at least im not gaining.

Nicci
  #105   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-06, 20:04

Hi both you 2 new fellow Nebraskans!!!!! Go Big Red
York? Wow, we're practically neighbors - I'm in Geneva! I also was so happily successful on Atkins 2 years ago and kept the weight off until I was going thru a crisis last fall, then I gained all I had lost plus 15 lbs more. This time around it hasn't been so easy to get off as it was the 1st time. - I guess I'm also not as strict with myself.
PV, please don't feel outnumbered - surely there's some other Nebraska guys that do LC. - I think alot of people "sort of" do LC, and just don't say so, or don't really commit to it as a WOE.
Speaking of NE and Big Red - I didn't ever catch the news today - did they find that quarterback that was missing for 24 hours as of yesterday?
Have a great week everyone!!!!
Cats
Closed Thread