Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 20:21

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Okay, this takes time but its so worth it! I'm using instructions from Nourishing Traditions. First is how to get the ducks ready, then how the render yummy duck fat and cracklings, stock is made with the carcasses and wings, and then there is a good recipe for the meat.

Preparation of Whole Duck

2 Whole Ducks
Juice of 4 lemons

Take a really sharp, flexible fish filleting knife, trim off neck fat and skin, the tail, and fat at the back of the cavity. Remove the wings and then the leg plus the thigh. Carefully remove teh wishbone in the front of the carcass. make a slit along the backbone, cut down along the rib cage and remove the breasts on both sides. Trim all the fat and skin off carcass. Repeat with second duck.

Trim excess fat off the four breasts and four thigh-leg pices and marinate for several hours in fresh lemon juice.

Duck Fat and Cracklings

To render duck fat and make cracklings, cut pieces of fat and skin into small chunks and place in a heavy-bottomed pan. Cook about 3/4 hour over medium heat until all fat has been rendered and skin pieces turn golden brown. Remove cracklings with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Strain fat into a jar, cover tightly and store in the refrigerator.

(My cracklings were gone within a day, such a nice crunchy fatty snack/meal)

Duck With Green Pepper Sauce

4 duck breasts and 4 thigh-leg pieces, marinated in lemon juice
3 cups beef or duck stock
1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
1 small can green peppercorns, drained, rinsed well, patted dry
1 cup piima cream or creme fraiche ( I used raw cream)

Dry duck pieces with paper towels. With sharp knife, score the fat on the breasts and thighs. Cut the meat away from the underside of the thigh bone, open up and remove the thigh bone. In skillet, saute breasts, two at a time, 5 min per side. Start on the fatty side so it can cook in its own fat. Remove to a heated platter. . Pour out fat and saute legs in same way. Pour out fat and add wine to the pan and bring to boil. Add stock and peppercorns, reduce to simmer. Put thigh pieces back in and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes...meanwhile keep breasts warm in oven (breasts should be rare or medium rare). Remove leg pieces to heated platter, add cream to stock, bring liquid to a rapid boil and reduce to about 1 cup. Season to taste. The recipe recommends slicing breast pieces and cutting leg and thigh apart to serve. Pour sauce over and enjoy.

Duck Stock

Take the carcasses from the ducks as well as the wings. Put into a pot with 2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped celery stocks, 1 small onion chopped. (Don't worry, you won't be eating the vegggies!). Also a bunch of thyme. Put in one tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and let sit for 1 hour. Then bring to a boil, skim any foam that comes to the top. Then reduce heat and simmer covered for several hours. Let cool. Use a slotted spoon to remove carcasses, veggies, etc from the pot. Then pour stock through a strainer into a bowl...or pour into mason jars with cheese cloth over it to strain. Put in fridge. The next day scoop fat off top to use in cooking. This will give you a gallon of stock, so freeze any you won't be using within a few days.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 20:26
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Cinnamon Vanilla Smoothie

4 ice cubes
4 raw egg yolks
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp real vanilla extract
2 tbsp cinnamon

blend well and enjoy!

I take 4 cans of coconut milk and pour the milk into a juice pitcher and keep it in the fridge, ready to go to pour into the blender. This is fast to make in the morning. Does anyone have any ideas of what else to add to this? I use to add blueberries and blackberries and such, but we won't even go there.

One thing to consider is making a lot of these smoothies ahead of time and putting in pint size mason jars. I have done this and they keep for several days. Now, that is a quick breakfast!

This recipe will make about 4 pints. There are about 2-3g carbs at the most in each pint, I believe.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Wed, Apr-19-06 at 21:30.
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 20:33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Back to the eggnog discussion.

I've been having this quite often lately. It replaces my whey protein shake I used to have in the mornings when I was rushed.

I'm using 4 egg yolks, 1/4 cup heavy cream, and 1/4 cup or more coconut milk. I also add a splash of very cold water to make it just a tad thinner and so it looks like I'm getting more!
Bawdy, if you are using a blender, just throw in 2-4 ice cubes. This will make it thinner, and colder.
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 01:02
Registered Member

Plan: protein and fat
Stats: 181.5/154/139 Female 62 inches
BF:38.5%/34.8%/24%
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
Bawdy, if you are using a blender, just throw in 2-4 ice cubes. This will make it thinner, and colder.

What if you added a couple of raw eggs instead? I don't like eating cold things.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 02:23

Plan: Home tailored
Stats: 153/149/137 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress: 25%

Some super simple and easy recipe's- wanted to contribute something as this thread is so great.

You already got my Chicken strips- thanks Kate- People NEED to try these- they are sooo good.

Roasted Leg of Lamb

Ingredients
- leg of lamb
-fresh rosemary- keep the little leaves, forget the large stem.
- fat/oil (your choice), salt 'n' pepper.

Using a sharp knife make deep slits into the leg of lamb, make sure ther are lots of deep slits for maximum flavour.
Then poke into the slits the smashed garlic cloves in some of the slits and the rosemary leaves in others- the ratio of garlic to rosemary slits is up to you.
Then rub the lamb with your choice of oil/fat, seasonin with pepper and salt and bung in the oven till your preference of done-ness.
This is best when cooked on the BBQ.

I tried some of your egg suggestions of adding cayenne etc to my eggs.
Had 2 eggs overeasy in pork fat, served layered with 20g unsalted butter, balck pepper, lots of cayenne and a touch of salt- deeeeeeeeelicious!

Thanks- keep the ideas comin'!

Gem.

Oh, as an after thought, this is something which is pretty gross sounding but tastes good to me.

Tin of tuna in oil, 2 large soft boiled eggs, butter, seasoning of your choice- i like cayenne, pepper, spice mix possibley.

For a quick and easy dinner, I open a can of tuna, DON'T DRAIN IT, mash the tuna up with the oil, add two freshly (still hot soft boiled eggs), butter and seasoning then gobble. The warm egg yolk with the oily seasoned tuna is delicious, and butter makes everything taste good in my mouth- sounds gross but nice- really .
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 07:01
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Maybe I am missing something, but how is using non-carnivore ingredients such as olive oil, Thai curry paste, Vermouth, coconut or vanilla in the preceding recipes constitute a CARNIVORUS diet??? Please explain.
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 07:19

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

The vermouth is cooked off, it's for flavor. The curry paste and vanilla...those are spices. Coconut milk doesn't exactly fit in, but maybe since theBear had mentioned coconut oil is acceptable because it is high in saturated fat..maybe that is why some people are also using the coconut milk in small amounts.
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 09:53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird
The vermouth is cooked off, it's for flavor. The curry paste and vanilla...those are spices. Coconut milk doesn't exactly fit in, but maybe since theBear had mentioned coconut oil is acceptable because it is high in saturated fat..maybe that is why some people are also using the coconut milk in small amounts.

Thanks Jaybird for your reply. I love anything coconut, myself, esp. since I lived in the South Pacific for a few years. We could get fresh coconuts right off the palm trees in our yard. We went through a huge typhoon while living in Guam and all the electicity was off for almost 4 months. The first few days all the meat in my frig. and no-frost freezer that we could not eat spoiled. So we had to exist on canned goods and the coconuts the storm blew to the ground for about a week before the military finally started passing out MRE's.
  #99   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 13:16
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

I feel it is a bit diff using things like coconut milk for flavor rather then as a side dish to a meal is.
  #100   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 16:47
Registered Member

Maybe I am missing something, but how does bringing up non-carnivore ingredients such as olive oil, Thai curry paste, Vermouth, coconut or vanilla in a post on a carnivore recipe thread constitute a post that is not designed to question a CARNIVORUS diet??? Please explain.
  #101   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 17:01

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
Maybe I am missing something, but how is using non-carnivore ingredients such as olive oil, Thai curry paste, Vermouth, coconut or vanilla in the preceding recipes constitute a CARNIVORUS diet??? Please explain.

Just my opinion, but I think we are all trying to make this plan work for us. Some are ready to go "whole hog" (as it were). Others take a few liberties. I think we're all just trying to find our way and do the best we can. 80/20 doesn't just mean percentages of macronutrients. 80/20 can also mean I'm "on plan" 80% of the time, and struggling the other 20%.

If I had to hold myself to perfection in every little thing I do, I'd go nuts. I'm only human. I try. I don't always succeed. I make things work for me.

I, for one, still have wine or alcohol frequently. No, it's not a carnivorous lifestyle, but I simply can't do it now. Or shall I say, I won't put the effort into being perfect right now. For a lot of reasons.

And I don't care what people say. I'm doing the best the I can with what I have at this moment in time.

No excuses.
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 17:11
Registered Member

Keeping my trap shut, lol.
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 17:19

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

And one more thing. If only those people who strictly adhered to "the rules" of whatever plan they say they're following and never, even once, deviated were allowed to post, this would certainly be a very lonely place.

Sorry. I'll put my hackles down now.
  #104   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 18:55
Registered Member

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Just my opinion, but I think we are all trying to make this plan work for us. Some are ready to go "whole hog" (as it were). Others take a few liberties. I think we're all just trying to find our way and do the best we can. 80/20 doesn't just mean percentages of macronutrients. 80/20 can also mean I'm "on plan" 80% of the time, and struggling the other 20%.

If I had to hold myself to perfection in every little thing I do, I'd go nuts. I'm only human. I try. I don't always succeed. I make things work for me.

I, for one, still have wine or alcohol frequently. No, it's not a carnivorous lifestyle, but I simply can't do it now. Or shall I say, I won't put the effort into being perfect right now. For a lot of reasons.

And I don't care what people say. I'm doing the best the I can with what I have at this moment in time.

No excuses.

OK, I can understand that. You are shooting for perfection in this WOE and haven't attained it yet. I think in that respect we are all on the same page with our respective WOE's. Good luck with your efforts and thanks for answering me without getting all bent out of shape. I appreciate that.
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 18:58
Registered Member

Perfection is in each one's OWN eyes...