Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 05:32

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_S
I have a lot of other great and tasty ideas but they all involve dairy stupid things.

You know it's funny. Now that I'm laying off dairy, I can't figure out what to cook. It occured to me just how much dairy I use on a daily basis.

My last attempt at cooking went something like: "Egg with cre.... no. Duck with butte.... no. Hmm.. steak with sour cr... nope. Ah forget it! Eggs and coconut oil! I'm starving here!"

Duck fat sounds like a good idea. I don't know where I'd get it, but I'll look. I found pork fat back in the store the other day, but I think it might be salted. Have to check again... that might work. Need to get more beef fat from the butcher so I can render more tallow, but can't to it til tomorrow when I get paid. He'll give me fat for free, but is a lot happier to do it when I buy something, however small
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 06:24
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default LunchtimeTragedy

It always hurts when I accidentally overcook my beef.

I find poached eggs to be quite flavourful, esp. w/baconbits.
I get duck fat by baking ducks, I dont make gravy with it so there is extra leftover in the pan. You can also simmer the carcass and skim the fat off the top when it gets cold.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 06:33

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Good plan! I thought they might have sold it like pork fat back. I'm cooking a duck tonight (no butter... *sigh* ) So I'll have to get the fat from it afterwards.

Thanks
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyArya
What does everyone add to their eggs? I usually cook mine in coconut oil (sans flavor), but I still find them really bland. I'm trying different spice combinations, but haven't really found one that impresses me yet.
Lady,

Try these:

Basil Leaves
Chili Powder
Curry Powder
Ground Red Cayenne Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper
Ground Turmeric
Paprika
Ground Black Pepper
Ground White Pepper

And, as Meg suggested, shake some Tabasco on 'em before you eat.

And, render that beef fat into tallow. That is the BEST stuff to cook omelets in.

Too bad you don't do dairy. I love adding different types of cheese to my omelets.

And, every time I roast a duck (or anything) I save all the drippings into a separate left over container. Later, when I take the fat out of the fridge, it is jelled. I just add it to the meat when I reheat. Or, I suppose you could use it for cooking eggs or what have you.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Apr-13-06 at 12:02.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 12:08

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyArya
What does everyone add to their eggs? I usually cook mine in coconut oil (sans flavor), but I still find them really bland. I'm trying different spice combinations, but haven't really found one that impresses me yet.

Any dairy free ideas?
grate fresh nutmeg on them...easy and cheep
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 12:14

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Quote:

Bacon fat is so good. If you plan on making this a primary ingredient, I'd probably try to find nitrate-free bacon. I usually cook my bacon up in the microwave and then drain the fat into a bowl. It's a little salty, which I'm trying to avoid, but it is full-flavor. Tallow (beef fat) or schmaltz (sp?) (chicken fat) would be good, but I haven't tried to render any myself. Isn't strange when you begin limiting your diet how aware you become of the things you eat? You seem to be doing great. It'll just take some trial and error.

~Alisa
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 12:28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie888
I haven't tried to render any myself.
Alisa,

It's super easy to render. Just get the fat (usually for free) from the trimmings at your butcher/grocery store and cut into 1" cubes. You can use the oven, or the stove top. Use very low heat (about 200 degrees in the oven) or VERY low heat on the stovetop. If doing on the stove top, don't cover the top of the skillet... you want the moisture to evaporate. After a few hours of marvelous smells coming from the kitchen, you will end up with cracklin's (Bear called them something else I can't remember now) and liquid gold, as I call it. Pour this liquid into glass mason jars and it will form into a jell like substance. Presto... tallow. It is great to use whenever cooking eggs or beef in skillets. Withstands higher cooking than anything else, and your food won't stick. So, go get some of this white stuff they are throwing away by the garbage cans full, and happy rendering.

If you want more detailed instructions/info... check out this thread.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 12:40
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I just thought of a non-dairy condiment for the poor non dairy people. (as I was licking my plate clean of the original cream sauce) It would give eggs some zip.

Make some homemade mayo and add boullion and paprika and hot lard/fat of some sort. Mix it around so you have a creamy red spicy sauce that is basically pure fatty goodness.

The original is posted below - lard that your meat was fried in, add boullion, tons of paprika and double cream, or double cream and sour cream. Double cream will make the carb count less...heavy cream is a little light to cut the paprika.

edit in: chipotle tabasco mixed with mayo ROCKS

Last edited by Meg_S : Thu, Apr-13-06 at 12:45.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 13:50

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Does anyone have soup ideas? And how about making stock?
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 14:03
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie888
Does anyone have soup ideas?
Can I post one that has steaming blood in it?
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 14:23

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

how about chicken and egg drop soup?I have not made it in a while and don't have a recipe but it is an idea
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 14:39
Registered Member

Default Eggnog

Eggnog

4-6 raw egg yolks
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup coconut milk (optional)
2 tbsp coconut oil (optional)
2 tbsp nutmeg
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp real vanilla extract

blend well and enjoy!

As an alternative to using a blender, this can easily be whisked up in a tall glass using a long spoon... in which case it's best to omit the coconut oil.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Apr-13-06 at 19:10.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 15:38

Plan: Anchell
Stats: 176/150/140 Female 64
BF:size 4 jeans
Progress: 72%
Default Egg Drop Soup & Chicken Broth

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitydkn
how about chicken and egg drop soup?I have not made it in a while and don't have a recipe but it is an idea

Egg Drop Soup

I just bring some chicken broth (home made, see below) to a simmer, and whisk in raw eggs that have been beaten. I add just salt & pepper if needed, or a splash of soy sauce. (Use about 1-2 eggs per 1 cup of broth)

Home Made Chicken Broth

Buy a whole cut up chicken. Put in a crockpot large enough to hold. Add water to within 1" or so of the top. I add some salt and pepper, onion powder, and a little bit of an herb blend called "Herbes de Provence." Cook on a low setting for 24 hours. Cool, take out the bones, meat, skin, etc. Pour liquid through a thin mesh collander. Then put into containers in the fridge, or freeze (I use those disposable Glad containers). Even in the fridge, because of all that yummy marrow from the bones, it should be very thick consistency even in the fridge!

Last edited by TidalPool : Thu, Apr-13-06 at 19:18. Reason: Added egg/cup broth ratio
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 15:43
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidalPool
I just bring some chicken broth (home made, see below) to a simmer, and whisk in raw eggs that have been beaten.
Hey, TidalPool,

This looks fantastic!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Apr-13-06 at 22:39.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 20:38
Terranova

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Copy:
Larding meat is another way to add tasty fat to otherwise lean cuts. It's easiest to do with a larding needle, if you can find one, otherwise just juilienne fat and use a kinfe or ice pick to poke a hole through the meat, then push the fat strip through the meat regular intervals. I prefer to lard with pork fat, but you can use beef suet or tallow, too.

ALOHA!