Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:13
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 163/128/123 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Hello Everbody,

So glad to see we have a new place. I hope Bear finds his way here. Too bad we have to abandon his thread to the trolls though.

I've only been doing this for 11 days and really I can't believe the results! No cravings, lots of energy and weight loss to boot! WOW! Five lbs. lighter,YIPPEE!

I still have concerns but I don't think you can rid yourself of a lifetime of training that easily.

Bobbi
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:17
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hmm, not sure what you would call how I eat my steak. Probably blue would be best description. I buy my steaks cut about 1" or 1.25" thick. I'll fry on high heat for about a minute to render down the fat a bit on the outside and edges. Inside is usually still cold, definately raw.

Slap on a pat of butter, and it is good to go. Only issue I have is that the butter or tallow I use to fry with will harden up quickly from the temp of the meat.

Beyond that I'm pretty much sticking to some extra old cheddar added to some meals.

I'll also roast a whole small chicken and eat it now and then (or pick up one from the grocery store pre-cooked - but I'm not always so trusting of that.)

I just picked up a bunch of thick cut pork chops and a loin roast that will be serving soon as well.

Has anybody made their own sausages? I've been thinking of getting a grinder attachement for my kitchen aid mixer and having a go at this to avoid any chances of filler and such.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:19
Registered Member

Plan: no carbs
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 6'
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
I really dont miss the veggies. It is really hard to do this extreme WOE. i got really frustrated once and almost completely quit (well i did quit for a day and a half actually!).

I find the opposite to be true. I find no carb diets easier to follow then semi-low ones. With including any carbs on a low carb diet I have to be carefull and to think about what I eat, how many carbs, etc.
With no carbs it's simple: no carb foods = eat, carbs= don't eat.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:19

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Just wanted to chime in and say a BIG "thanks" to Rob for starting this thread. Hopefully it will remain positive. I didn't post much in theBear's thread, but I read every word. Although Bear wasn't able to "prove" much of what he stated to the satisfaction of some, I am inclined to believe the vast majority of what he said, if not all of it. Haven't we all learned that much of what the so called "experts" have been telling us for years is mostly wrong? It would not surprise me if Bear's seemingly wild claims turn out to all be true.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:22
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 336/297/140 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 20%

[QUOTE=Terranova]Nice looking place ya got here-- very comfy lookin!

Last time Rob followed Bear's guidance he lost 120lbs. This time it's for life!

QUOTE]

On the contrary, I DIDN'T follow Bear's advice. Everything Bear has posted he pretty much told me back in 1998. Instead I followed a psuedo Atkins diet, cheated often enough and never really grasped acculturation (back then Bear wasn't using that term). Eventually I stepped off the bus and tried several times to get back on, but failed everytime.

This time I am following Bear's advice and it's working much better, thank you very much. The theory of acculturation, while seeming obvious, really is helping me remain focused this time.

So let that be a lesson to all of you out there who have tried the path and keep failing.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:26
Registered Member

BF:

I like to sear the outside of my meat, just enough to kill whatever has been exposed to the air, maybe a few minutes each side. The inside then is raw, but the outside is cooked. I've been doing this for about 3-4 weeks and so far I haven't gotten sick or anything. I LOVE raw meat. Even the tougher cuts become quite edible. It's not stringy, tough or difficult to chew and it's starts melting in your mouth like butter.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 163/128/123 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Anyone have concerns about sticking to the diet when your a guest at someone elses home? I have an invite for Sunday supper, they are serving lamb. I thought I'd bring a platter of shrimp, cheese and somekind of deli meat (I don't care for this, too salty,but want the tray to look good.)

That's fine for nibbling but what happens at the actual meal? I was thinking of bringing deviled eggs to go with the lamb. Any ideas?
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:42

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_LC
I find the opposite to be true. I find no carb diets easier to follow then semi-low ones. With including any carbs on a low carb diet I have to be carefull and to think about what I eat, how many carbs, etc.
With no carbs it's simple: no carb foods = eat, carbs= don't eat.

Paul,
I do know what your saying. In the one sense i do agree that while following Bears advice of eating only the meat, eggs, cheese, cream it's EASY because i dont have to track everything in fitday or journal everything to make sure i am under those "20 carbs" whereas on induction for Atkins i do have to track everything! The reason i find it HARD is only because of acculturation and my mental state. I think too much of how i "miss" nuts, peanut butter, fruit, etc. And then when i am out in public it is doubly hard to follow. I find it HARD to say to a family member "i dont eat vegetables, only meat". Let's face it..ANYONE would think that is eXTREME! I am really torn as to whether i COULD do this type of diet long term! From what Bear said, in order to get keto adapted and STAY keto adapted the occasional "cheat" with a nut or fruit is not acceptable, it will take you out of keto adaption. So it seems like you have to follow this ALL THE WAY for it to work.

So who here is going to try to make this their lifestyle?
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbij
Anyone have concerns about sticking to the diet when your a guest at someone elses home? I have an invite for Sunday supper, they are serving lamb. I thought I'd bring a platter of shrimp, cheese and somekind of deli meat (I don't care for this, too salty,but want the tray to look good.)

That's fine for nibbling but what happens at the actual meal? I was thinking of bringing deviled eggs to go with the lamb. Any ideas?

I have to admit I'm not good on what goes with lamb, but I figure if Bear can remain on the path serving 2 years in jail I have no excuse for not being prepared when I go out or when I have to eat on the run. Just eat what you can and pick around all the yucky non-meat
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbij

YES! that is my BIGGEST CONCERN! i already screwed up when eating at my MIL's! The way people bread meat and add sauces and gravies nowadays, theres NO guarantee that you will find anything at all that you can eat while out somewhere else!! My MIL's dinner consisted of BREADED chicken breasts, cauliflour, corn and salad.....not ONE thing on the menu that is on this carnivorous WOE....but a few things that are on ATKINS INDUCTION! SOOOO....if i was to to follow 100%..i would have had to sit there and drink water and watch everyone eat even though i was hungry! What to do ??
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:46
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_LC
I find no carb diets easier to follow then semi-low ones.
Absolutely! I feel stupendously marvelous on this WOE! MUCH easier to stick to as well!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:49
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%

I've experimented with different cuts of beef lately, and I have to say I keep falling back to sirloin, prime rib and striploins. They had eye of round on sale for 1.99/lb recently, so I picked up some of that, tried a steak cut from it, but it was still rather tough to eat (even cooked just seared on the outside). I'm saving what I have left to make more jerky.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
Absolutely! I feel stupendously marvelous on this WOE! MUCH easier to stick to as well!

AT HOME its MUCH easier to stick with! But Dean, have you had to go to a family party or dinner at someones house? For me the summer is filled with birthday parties, graduations etc! Its bad enough having to pass on the cake, ice cream and even mashed potatoes, but to pass on all the veggies too? It could make it close to impossible to eat, especially when the only meat choice ends up being FRIED chicken with breading! People just dont eat enough MEAT at these parties! They offer spaghetti, potatoes, all kinds of salads with junk in them...am i doomed?
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:52
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
So who here is going to try to make this their lifestyle?

I pretty much have to at this point. I'm not getting any younger and I've been obese all my life. If I don't change my ways now I'm only compounding the damage I've already done.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:57

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I've been eating mostly meats, eggs, and some dairy more than a month (since March 7th). I stuck to it pretty strictly first month but now I'm adding in a glass of wine a day. That's my indulgence for being such a good girl I know wine is not something Bear would advocate, but it gives me something to look forward to, keeps me sane, and it's actually pretty low in carbs. I might cut out wine in the near future, though. We'll see. Not looking to lose weight, but to maintain. I got such a positive reaction with my facial skin while eating meat that I decided to keep on going.

I can eat a steak for every meal. I am trying to limit myself as steaks are so expensive, even buying from Sam's Club What do I need to do, raise some cows myself? LOL.

I really like roasted duck too. In fact, I just had some for lunch

I'm glad to see this support thread and look forward to hear all about your experience
Closed Thread