Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-06, 13:17

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally posted by cbcb -
Anyone get a headache from L-Carnitine? (Just started a tablet form of the tartrate type, not a particularly huge dose.)

Hey cbcb - I get one too not long after i take my first dose in the mornings. I have been taking 2000mg a day and I think I am going to go down to 1500mg for that very reason. I have also noticed that by the end of the day (bedtime) I am really tired. Cant stay up til my usuall bedtime. I have also noticed that by dinner time my eyesockets hurt when i move my eyes, this is really wierd, the only time i remember that happening in the past was when i had a fever but i know i dont have a fever now.

Does anyone have any of these symptoms? Is it cause for worry do you think?

It has not helped me lose any weight, BUT several things have happened all at the same time to interfere (sp?). I had just lost 3lbs when I started taking it, I got TOM and I have cheated on several days soooo.....I'm not giving up on it, I just need to get down to business and stop this darn cheating i have been doing. I dont know whats come over me to start endulging in sweets like i have

cbcb - let us know how you do on it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-06, 14:00
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogama
Hey cbcb - I get one too not long after i take my first dose in the mornings. I have been taking 2000mg a day and I think I am going to go down to 1500mg for that very reason. I have also noticed that by the end of the day (bedtime) I am really tired. Cant stay up til my usuall bedtime. I have also noticed that by dinner time my eyesockets hurt when i move my eyes, this is really wierd, the only time i remember that happening in the past was when i had a fever but i know i dont have a fever now.

Does anyone have any of these symptoms? Is it cause for worry do you think?

It has not helped me lose any weight, BUT several things have happened all at the same time to interfere (sp?). I had just lost 3lbs when I started taking it, I got TOM and I have cheated on several days soooo.....I'm not giving up on it, I just need to get down to business and stop this darn cheating i have been doing. I dont know whats come over me to start endulging in sweets like i have

cbcb - let us know how you do on it.
L-carnitine gives some people a craving for sweets.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 14:13

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuleikaa -
L-carnitine gives some people a craving for sweets

Zuleikaa -
OMG, I had no idea. Thanks for letting me know. I'm gonna keep watch on that.

Thanks again!!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 20:14

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Thanks... let me know what happens re the headache!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 03:49

Plan: Atkins- whole foods only!
Stats: 240/240/155 Female 1.74m
BF:56%/56%/25%
Progress: 0%

Another 8.2lbs lost in just under a month. This brings my total to 46.2lbs lost since 16 January 2006

I haven't had any of the negative symptoms mentioned by some of the people here. Carnitine makes me feel good I also don't suffer from insomnia and I take my last dose (another 1000mg) just before going to bed. Haven't had any cravings for sweets either. Quite the opposite
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 08:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/162/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 56%

No negative symptoms either. I didn't have great results like last month. I am actually behind about 6.5 to 8.5 lbs difference. This month has not been easy with the ups & downs every week. Hopefully next month will be a better one. I'll be happy if I can reach Onederland by first- second week of May. Good luck to everyone! Keep us updated. Pleeeease!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-06, 21:34

Plan: low carb
Stats: 267.4/242.8/170 Female 65.5 inches
BF:too/freakin/much
Progress: 25%

i took some and i think i need to start taking it everyday. i hope that it and the coconut oil helps big time. this is the second time on atkins and the weigh is coming off very slow
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-06, 02:34

Just like to stress that if you are going to use L-Carnitine it's very important for you to take it 2-3 times per day in high enough doses. I'm taking 2000mg per day but in DANDR Atkins said that some people needed as much as 5000mg per day!

For anyone not seeing a difference I would suggest you up the dosage gradually, until you hit a point where it starts working for you
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-06, 18:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafferBabe
Just like to stress that if you are going to use L-Carnitine it's very important for you to take it 2-3 times per day in high enough doses. I'm taking 2000mg per day but in DANDR Atkins said that some people needed as much as 5000mg per day!

For anyone not seeing a difference I would suggest you up the dosage gradually, until you hit a point where it starts working for you

Is it working for you at 2,000? I am also taking 2k's but this month I haven't gotten great results like last. We are both around the same weight. I was cuirous. Thx!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 03:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally731
Is it working for you at 2,000? I am also taking 2k's but this month I haven't gotten great results like last. We are both around the same weight. I was cuirous. Thx!

Hi Ally

Yes, it definitely is working for me I'm wondering if you shouldn't stop taking it for a few days and then reintroduce it? Perhaps our bodies can get used to this too, like it gets used to a certain amount of calories and carbs and then stalls? Has nothing else changed in your diet this month? I suggest you up your carbs (if you are very low) / up your calories (if you are very low) and leave out the Carnitine for two days. Then go back to whatever it was you were doing and reintroduce the Carnitine. Perhaps a change will jumpstart the losing again? If you were high on carbs/calories lower it for the two days experiment. If this change doesn't help increase the Carnitine to 3000mg

I must say since I've started changing things often (it's a form of carb/calorie/supplement cycling I guess) I keep losing at a steady pace. Give it a go and let us know
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 15:16

Stats: 245/204/120 Female 5'2"
BF:too much
Progress: 33%

There is a point where you need to stop taking Carnitine. Supposedly your body stops manufacturing it's own if you go for more than three months. I'd check with some body builder groups on that information. My ex use to do body building and that's what he told me and then the lady at GNC confirmed it.

Reb
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 16:41

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

I have been taking both the freeform kind and the acetyl-l-carnitine, and also CoQ10. Those three pills, plus a shot of vitamin C, give me such a surge of energy, that I've nicknamed this vitamin cocktail the "afternon nap"!

I've read as much as I can find about Carnitine, and haven't seen the three-month statistic. Can you link to a study or article or something?
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 16:46

Plan: LC
Stats: 196/136/115 Female 5'2"
BF:35.8/24.9/21
Progress: 74%

Hey, I just wanted to add my 2 cents....I started to taking L-Carn, & co-Q10 a few days ago, I was in a 4 day stall, I know that isn't even a stall; but I was used to 0.2-0.8 wt. loss a day. The very next day I was down 0.2, and continue to go down every day. Is there any relation; who knows. I just know it happened. I take a very low dose.
500mg in the AM and then 500 in the afternoon. I don't really want to up my dose, I'm kind of paranoid when it comes to taking pills. Just wanted to know if anyone else takes only 1000mg and what they think? I haven't had any side effects, weird feelings, and energy levels feel the same.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 16:49

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Sounds like you aren't taking enough.

Dr. A says some people need 4000 or more mg per day.. maybe cautiously raise it? Take another 500 gm in the evening?
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 17:38

BF:

I am waiting for TOM to be over. As soon as I get my final results for this month I will change something around. I was taking 1,500 and added another 500 last week. I tried adding a few more carbs too but I keep going up and down since 04/16.

Could it be my TOM was late 1 week? I am drinking plenty of water. 140-175 oz a day. I can't put my finger on it.

I am also taking GLA & CLA but still not the results I was expecting. This is very frustrating. I weigh myself last nite and I went back down to 204. Hoping this morning I would have at least a small change in weight but I didn't. I am still at 204. I really dont know if I am doing something wrong or my body is just readjusting for the next WHOOSH.

Today I ate and drank everything I am supposed to and I am still at 204 just like yesterday so I am hoping that means I will loose something tomorrow.

These are the supplements I am taking- L-Carnitine 2,000- GLA, CLA, Biotin, Vitamin C and COQ10. I was taking several others but I stopped just to make another change and see if that would help. Any thoughts??? Thank you so much for you help!