Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 06:14

Plan: ATKINS INDUCTION AGAIN
Stats: 68.5/65.9/58 Female 170cm
BF:37.5
Progress: 25%
Default Stalling and restarting, this works for me, always!

Don't know about others in here, but when I am on a stall which I have been for the past three weeks. I am loasing inches yes but the weight is not moving. To get it moving again I do the following.

Today is the day I do the kick the stall off track and the scale moving again.

I will call this my fruit day filled with fruits and sugars but coming from dried and fresh fruits. Followed by VERY little fat and salt as well as protein.

Breakfast = 5 large plums, 150gm of dried prunes and plenty WATER.

(this spikes my insulin really high and I can feel it, but then I drop down later in the day and will eat something very light, sometimes I gain a few ozs this way sometimes not. But I rarely lose what I do is kick my body to gain a few ozs to trigger the losing mode again. IT HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME.

Has this method worked for others?

Last edited by pipsqueak : Sun, Mar-26-06 at 07:28.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 06:21
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

So no protein, just fruit? No fat, just fruit? Hmm. I've not done this, but I imagine you will lose a bit of weight...with that weight comprising a fair percentage of muscle tissue. Not something I'd suggest doing.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
So no protein, just fruit? No fat, just fruit? Hmm. I've not done this, but I imagine you will lose a bit of weight...with that weight comprising a fair percentage of muscle tissue. Not something I'd suggest doing.

No I never lose I gain a few ozs meaning like 4 to 8 ozs. I also work out. I only do this one day during my stall and it has always worked when I have been on atkins before. Actually there is somewhere in one of his older books he said you can do something similar he called it a fruit day.

I have already taken in 132gm of carbs this morning already. I will ride my bike here in a while for one hour. Will only eat a small red fish grilled and a leaft lettuce salad as the big meal. This is NOT to be done daily, I only do it one day during my stall. By tomorrow I should see the scale go up a few and that will be good beucause I will know it works then I will start to lose again come Tuesday, because tomorrow I will have my regular normal atkins meals again. This has always proven 100% successful for me.

It may be detremental to others but for my body, my metabolism and for me and couple of girls I know it works.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 07:00
muscle bound

Ok, I see what you're doing, now tha you explained in greater detail. The 132gC you're eating will definitely cause you to retain a few pounds of water tomorrow, and also bump your metabolism a bit. We bodybuilders use this technique and call it a "refeed",

It works really well. My only suggestion would be to maybe add just a touch more protein to it, so you at least hit the RDA recommendations. I think that's about 60gP for a non-lifting female.

I'd also suggest you not do the one hour of cardio during this day. You've already dropped calories significantly for this day, and adding long moderate-intensity cardio like that will not help you as much as it could hurt you. If you want to do something physical, a walk might be a better choice.

As you say, though, it's just one day, and what you do for one day will not make or break the bank.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 07:15

Quote:
Ok, I see what you're doing, now tha you explained in greater detail. The 132gC you're eating will definitely cause you to retain a few pounds of water tomorrow, and also bump your metabolism a bit. We bodybuilders use this technique and call it a "refeed",

It works really well. My only suggestion would be to maybe add just a touch more protein to it, so you at least hit the RDA recommendations. I think that's about 60gP for a non-lifting female.

I'd also suggest you not do the one hour of cardio during this day. You've already dropped calories significantly for this day, and adding long moderate-intensity cardio like that will not help you as much as it could hurt you. If you want to do something physical, a walk might be a better choice.

As you say, though, it's just one day, and what you do for one day will not make or break the bank.

WOW, good to see you also know about this, when I used to do plenty weight eons ago when I was in my 20's we used this as well, so when I saw it in the atkins book I thought oh I know this method, it always worked back then, i worked during my other Atkins stalls, and should work now.

My fish is a red snapper weighing 630gm I will eat the whole fish
I call that a small fish cuz I can litreally eat a kilo easy with no problem. so hopefully the fish has some protein I just dont want to add fat to the already increased carb intake the refeed as you will agree fat with this highcard intake will definitely ADD fat and not water right?

Last edited by pipsqueak : Sun, Mar-26-06 at 07:32.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 07:16

Quote:

Ok, then no cardio bike what do you recommend some weights? If so how much and which?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 09:11
muscle bound

Probably a smart thing to do when bumping carbs significantly (past 100gC) is to control the fat intake. Probably not a big deal unless you're really going over your maintenance calories, but generally, as your carbs go up, your fats should come down a bit. At 100-150gC level, I wouldn't stress too much about going low fat nuts, but I wouldn't add alot, either. Probably keep it around 50-75gF.

Weight training is something I recommend for everyone all the time, but it's a personal thing. 2 days a week full body routine is the minimum, and generally cardio 3 to 5 times a week, 20-30 minutes a session. It varies though..in the summer I like to take hour long bike rides, but I do that on just a slight caloric deficit. Trying to do alot of cardio on drastically lowered calories will encourage your body to slow down metabolically, and conserve.

ETA--dayum, that's alot of fish at one sitting! 630g of whole fish, how much of that is actual edible meat? Let's say about a pound (450g). So that's about 16oz, which gives your roughly 112gP. That's much better, lol.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 09:21

Quote:
Probably a smart thing to do when bumping carbs significantly (past 100gC) is to control the fat intake. Probably not a big deal unless you're really going over your maintenance calories, but generally, as your carbs go up, your fats should come down a bit. At 100-150gC level, I wouldn't stress too much about going low fat nuts, but I wouldn't add alot, either. Probably keep it around 50-75gF.

Weight training is something I recommend for everyone all the time, but it's a personal thing. 2 days a week full body routine is the minimum, and generally cardio 3 to 5 times a week, 20-30 minutes a session. It varies though..in the summer I like to take hour long bike rides, but I do that on just a slight caloric deficit. Trying to do alot of cardio on drastically lowered calories will encourage your body to slow down metabolically, and conserve.

ETA--dayum, that's alot of fish at one sitting! 630g of whole fish, how much of that is actual edible meat? Let's say about a pound (450g). So that's about 16oz, which gives your roughly 112gP. That's much better, lol.

Yes, that is the whole fish with eyes head and tail, when grilled or baked it will be less once the head is removed as you know it weighs a good couple hundred gms right there. so yeah safely about 450 edible. Hey, last night I knocked down a 22.5 OZ rib eye steak with no worries .

Yes, I usually do body toning two times a week all over one hour each time, then 3-5 days a week cardio bike 15 to 30 mins, when 3 days 30 mins, when 5 days I do between 15 to 30 mins until I get worn out. But never under 15

Today I will take is MINIMAL fat and the only fat would be the tiny bit in the red snapper, salmon has a lot of fat but this red fish is only lean and some tiny fat naturally. Slad with lemon dressing NO oil I just wnat to keep the oil and fat off today this is how I usually do it. What ever tiny bit of fat would be from the fish alone. At this moment counting this red fish as a sea bass which it is not, will total out 13.5 gms of fat today total. Ok I just had a meat patty and this is the newest intake that I will take in today, maybe the fat is a bit high.

Carbs = 138.1 Protein = 133.4 Fat = 22.3 Fib = 18.0 Total Calories = 1258

Last edited by pipsqueak : Sun, Mar-26-06 at 09:45.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 14:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/118/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

This is for anyone who revises their diet to a low fat/low carb diet. I hope you will let your doctor know, or if anyone who asks, that you are not following Atkins. It truly isn't fair to Dr. Atkins himself, nor to anyone of us, to have doctors thinking Atkins is bad if they have patients who say they are on it...and really aren't. If I were to make up my own diet plan, and something bad happened to my body while I was on it, I don't think it would be fair to say I was using Dr. Atkins plan. That would be like shooting yourself with a gun, and blaming someone else for it..just isn't ethical.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by coitrina
This is for anyone who revises their diet to a low fat/low carb diet. I hope you will let your doctor know, or if anyone who asks, that you are not following Atkins. It truly isn't fair to Dr. Atkins himself, nor to anyone of us, to have doctors thinking Atkins is bad if they have patients who say they are on it...and really aren't. If I were to make up my own diet plan, and something bad happened to my body while I was on it, I don't think it would be fair to say I was using Dr. Atkins plan. That would be like shooting yourself with a gun, and blaming someone else for it..just isn't ethical.

TRINA I never see more. Apparently you didnt read properly or totally missed the point but I find you really out of place with that post as it clearly said THIS WORKS FOR ME, so I suggest if you dont have positve feedback you SHOULD NOT POST ON THIS TOPIC.

DANE, just to let you know I just tested my urine and it still showed the 1 level of ketosis so I am elated, even though I raised the carbs to that high and did have a tad of fat and still slipped into ketosis. I just love this ATKINS plan AND i LOVE HOW MY BODY reacts to certain steps of the plan as depicted in the older Atkins BOOKS.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 16:45
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Which Atkins book has carb cycling in it?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 16:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Which Atkins book has carb cycling in it?

In his earlier versions, Dr. Atkins mentions something he called a 'reversal diet' where you pick an established diet (such as WW or Jenny Craig or AHA low fat, etc...) and follow it strictly for a few days or up to a week to break a stall. He also stated that it must be an established diet with rules, not something you just want to eat for a few days, like all bread or all fruit.
IIRC, he was asked why he removed references to it in his later editions and said something along the lines that it seemed, in practice, to cause more problems than it solved, especially with re-awakening cravings with a vengeance in a lot of people.
Based on what I've seen reported here on the forum, it seems to be that way for a lot of people and carb cycling, 'cheat days', 'carb ups', or however you choose to label it cause more people to completely go off plan and gain a lot of weight back than it helps jump start weight loss in (unless you count the re-losing of all the weight you gained falling off the wagon ).
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
In his earlier versions, Dr. Atkins mentions something he called a 'reversal diet' where you pick an established diet (such as WW or Jenny Craig or AHA low fat, etc...) and follow it strictly for a few days or up to a week to break a stall. He also stated that it must be an established diet with rules, not something you just want to eat for a few days, like all bread or all fruit.
IIRC, he was asked why he removed references to it in his later editions and said something along the lines that it seemed, in practice, to cause more problems than it solved, especially with re-awakening cravings with a vengeance in a lot of people.
Based on what I've seen reported here on the forum, it seems to be that way for a lot of people and carb cycling, 'cheat days', 'carb ups', or however you choose to label it cause more people to completely go off plan and gain a lot of weight back than it helps jump start weight loss in (unless you count the re-losing of all the weight you gained falling off the wagon ).

Well I have never done this and fallen off the diet, but it does jump start me, sometimes I have done it for 3 days but no more. One of his older books I dont remember which one it mentioned something to the nature of fruit days where you only eat fruit for a couple of days, it has always worked for me. Some others may not be disciplined but I am. I do it deliberately to break the stall and it has ALWAYS WORKED I bet anything by the end of the week I would have started back to lose,not only on the scale but see more drastic results. As a matter of fact, with all the carbs and exteremely low fat intake today I still was in ketosis. I didnt feel hungry and I wasnt dehydrated. I know what I am doing when I do this, have done it and it works.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 17:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsqueak
Some others may not be disciplined but I am. I do it deliberately to break the stall and it has ALWAYS WORKED

It's quite possible that you are more disciplined than most and I'm glad that this works for you. I'm just sharing my observations, after nearly 4 1/2 years on this forum, that it doesn't seem to work for the majority.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 17:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsqueak
Apparently you didnt read properly or totally missed the point but I find you really out of place with that post as it clearly said THIS WORKS FOR ME, so I suggest if you dont have positve feedback you SHOULD NOT POST ON THIS TOPIC.

*moderator note*

Any member is free to post on any thread as long as their post is within the boundaries of the forum rules. Respectful disagreement is not a violation of the forum rules. If there is a member or members whose posts you do not wish to read, you may use your control panel options to ignore those specific members and not view their posts.