Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 13:10
magnamater magnamater is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 163
 
Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%
Location: Houston,Texas
Default

Your favorite, Jude?

Or is it "love the one you're with?"
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 21:30
IslandGirl's Avatar
IslandGirl IslandGirl is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 4,908
 
Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Default

Oh yeah! When it comes to ice cream, it's pretty much...
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater
"love the one you're with"




But I DO have a tendency to come back to various forms of Chocolate, the deeper the better, with an occasional mouth refresher of a fine Vanilla Bean...

Sigh. How can I go wrong?

Though I'm toying with idea of a protein boosted Lemon Sorbet right now (protein supplementation being a good excuse for yet another dose of a nice tart sorbet)!



Reply With Quote
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 11:27
cnmLisa's Avatar
cnmLisa cnmLisa is offline
Every day is day one
Posts: 7,776
 
Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%
Location: Oregon Coast
Default

Maybe that's what I need--a rich dark chocolate ice cream!!
Reply With Quote
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 15:17
IslandGirl's Avatar
IslandGirl IslandGirl is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 4,908
 
Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Maybe that's what I need--a rich dark chocolate ice cream!!


I made this one for my family's recent birthday fest (6 birthdays within 3 weeks of each), accompanied by a chocolate layer cake with whipped cream icing and honey tangerine segments:

Quote:
Quadruple Chocolate
300 ml whipping cream 35%
300 ml Natrel low(er) lactose milk 2%
500 ml coffee cream 18%
2 pinches salt
15 ml pure vanilla extract (nice floral mexican vanilla)
60 ml glycerine
75 ml polydextrose simple syrup (2:1 pdx & water, sweetened to 2X sugar)
3 whole large veggie fed eggs, very well beaten
+
10 ml chocolate extract
57g unsweetened Baker's chocolate, chopped (2 blocks)
100g Lindt 85% Cocoa, chopped (1 bar)
30ml van Houten dark cocoa powder, sifted
1 Splenda QuickPack


Oh, delicious. I was going to add a 5th chocolate element, an ounce or two of some nice organic cacao nibs, but I forgot .

I'm only allowing myself dessert on weekends, this made a double batch, about 1.5L in total yield...first batch to the family for the cake and the second batch straight into my freezer (and I get to have some tonight!).

Yum.

Reply With Quote
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 12:50
magnamater magnamater is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 163
 
Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%
Location: Houston,Texas
Default

Thanks to BettyR on another board, I believe, this is what I've been experimenting with, but trying to cut the PDX in half and using a T. of Not Sugar--not as good as all PDX, but maybe you all can help me with that:

Premium Vanilla Ice Cream

Step #1:
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup PolyD
1/2 cup Erythritol
1 cup Splenda or liquid equivalent
a pinch of salt
1 tablespoon SteviaPlus
2 cups heavy cream

Put all ingredients into a saucepan and whisk constantly until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Remove from heat.

Step #2:
2-1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract-(this in not a misprint) or the scrapings of 1 whole vanilla bean
2 whole jumbo eggs
3 jumbo egg yolks

Place eggs, yolks and vanilla in a blender. Turn blender on and blend for about 20 seconds or until mixture becomes light in color.

In a very thin ribbon, slowly pour boiling cream mixture into the eggs with the blender running until all the cream has been added. Blend for another 30 seconds or so and turn blender off.

Step #3:
2 cups Carb Countdown milk

Pour cream/egg mixture into a covered container and add Carb Countdown milk; stir well.

Place mixture in the refrigerator and let it chill and ripen overnight. The next day place mixture into ice cream freezer and make ice cream.

Spoon mixture into a freezer container and place in freezer to finish freezing.
Reply With Quote
  #96   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 13:00
magnamater magnamater is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 163
 
Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%
Location: Houston,Texas
Default

Jude, I would love to see your lemon sorbet with extra protein boost. . .I have read your posts in the past about the 2 kinds of lemon syrup. . .and haven't found both yet.

Lemon is a true passion for me. (one of many!)

Since you are a chef, would lemon curd make a good basis for a sorbet? Plus other ingredients, I'm sure. . .

The love of a great vanilla ice cream is deep in my southern roots (visions of the porch swing and the old crank ice cream freezer. . .) That's why I'm looking for the perfect "custard" type vanilla.

One more thing. . .I read on another board that using a vacuum sealer on ice cream makes it spoonable later after freezing.

Anybody have that experience? I would love to put ice cream for later into the freezer, but not if it goes rock hard.

Too many questions!
Reply With Quote
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 19:54
IslandGirl's Avatar
IslandGirl IslandGirl is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 4,908
 
Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Default

Hey, bigmomma, are you looking for help with BettyR's premium scream? I'm not sure what you're saying. Have you actually made this one yet with the not/Sugar and without so much PDX? Not per the ingredient list you're posting...

I DO note that you've got about 950ml (~ 4 C) of dairystuff in that recipe with all that PDX, a full Cup!...my recipe works fine with a lot less PDX, and some glycerine, plenty scoopable. The "base" is pretty much it, what I use for vanilla ice cream (before adding all that chocolate stuff, just increase the sweetener a bit and the vanilla) and it's over a liter of dairystuff with only about max 4 Tbsp of the PDX in the 'syrup' I keep to hand and use in the recipe. You cold use that base with either the glycerine or the not/Sugar, and I'm pretty sure it would turn out happyhappy! I use this base for just about everything...

Reply With Quote
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 20:06
IslandGirl's Avatar
IslandGirl IslandGirl is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 4,908
 
Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater
Jude, I would love to see your lemon sorbet with extra protein boost. . .I have read your posts in the past about the 2 kinds of lemon syrup. . .and haven't found both yet.

Lemon is a true passion for me. (one of many!)

Since you are a chef, would lemon curd make a good basis for a sorbet? Plus other ingredients, I'm sure. . .


Oooooh, I hear you on the lemon, I just adore lemon (and lime and grapefruit and all sorts of citrus)!

Hmmmmmm. Well, the acidity of the Torani Lemon was an easy bonus -- especially the 0-carb sweetening power -- in the Lemon Sorbet recipe I posted, but truly it can just be replaced with Lemon Juice and equivalent sweetener...

I haven't yet got to the protein boosted Lemon Sorbet, but that's because I haven't yet cracked that new big container of LemonAid flavour Protein Powder, one of those new "juice" transparent powders out there right now. The guy in the supplement store (a bodybuilder, but hey, I'll talk to anybody about food ) promises me it's very tart and lemon-y, and even told me about HIS chef friend who whipped up a sugarfree sorbet with the stuff when I told him what I wanted to do. Party-pooper.

I've also taken the lemon and the butter in and out of the fridge for days, meaning to get to a side by side of the LC LowCal Lemon Curd vs. merely LC Lemon Curd...but still working at the timing. But on that note, my first reaction is no, don't use a Lemon Curd (a custard as you rightly point out) as a base for a sorbet, though I think it would make a FAB swirl through a Lemon Zested scream, yum-O! I always think of sorbets (or is it sherbets?) as dairy-free, closer to a Granita...but I could be wrong. Why not whirl up a small batch in the ice cream gizmo and see? You just may have something there and I could be all wrong. Experimenting and pushing the boundaries is way fun...
Reply With Quote
  #99   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 20:14
IslandGirl's Avatar
IslandGirl IslandGirl is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 4,908
 
Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater
... The love of a great vanilla ice cream is deep in my southern roots (visions of the porch swing and the old crank ice cream freezer. . .) That's why I'm looking for the perfect "custard" type vanilla.

One more thing. . .I read on another board that using a vacuum sealer on ice cream makes it spoonable later after freezing.

Anybody have that experience? I would love to put ice cream for later into the freezer, but not if it goes rock hard.


Ya know, that good basic vanilla is the grandmammy of all ice creams, and really important. I have to say (again, sorry) I'm really happy with my base and its mix of 'sugar' replacers and flavours. I use the best vanilla extract or occasionally splash out on some lovely vanilla bean, and add sweetener, and it's excellent if I do say so myself!

I've never heard of the vacuum sealer thing, and I can't understand how that would work, seeing as it's the freezing point and emulsification of the various ingredients that makes ice cream what it is, not air contact...my experience to get that scoopability is a combination of the freezing point depressors (PDX, Erythritol, Glycerol, veg gums) and emulsifiers and gelling agents (veg gums, butterfat, egg yolk, lecithin). Trial and error. Hope this helps?

Works for me! Think I'll go scoop me a spoon or two of the remaining Quadruple Chocolate...and think about making some more vanilla base, or maybe I'll get to that Lemon Curd tonight......mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Reply With Quote
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 10:02
magnamater magnamater is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 163
 
Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%
Location: Houston,Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Hey, bigmomma, are you looking for help with BettyR's premium scream? I'm not sure what you're saying. Have you actually made this one yet with the not/Sugar and without so much PDX? Not per the ingredient list you're posting...

I DO note that you've got about 950ml (~ 4 C) of dairystuff in that recipe with all that PDX, a full Cup!...my recipe works fine with a lot less PDX, and some glycerine, plenty scoopable. The "base" is pretty much it, what I use for vanilla ice cream (before adding all that chocolate stuff, just increase the sweetener a bit and the vanilla) and it's over a liter of dairystuff with only about max 4 Tbsp of the PDX in the 'syrup' I keep to hand and use in the recipe. You cold use that base with either the glycerine or the not/Sugar, and I'm pretty sure it would turn out happyhappy! I use this base for just about everything...




You're the first to get the "big momma" reference to my on-line name, although I hope that now it refers more to a "great" momma Roman goddess kind of like "mother nature." Guess you can tell what I do for a living! Yep, I'm a Latin teacher!

Yes, I have been making versions of BettyR's scream. I have been using 1/2 c. PDX and a T. of Not Sugar. . .and it is good, but not as screamingly good as the full cup which unfortunately is NOT acceptable to my constitution or neighborly at all.

My ice cream experiments need to be weekend ones like yours. . .and after I reinduct again! Although I am gathering info for that time!

I will order the glycerine if I don't find it at my local candy making section of the craft store. . .

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 10:09
magnamater magnamater is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 163
 
Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%
Location: Houston,Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Oooooh, I hear you on the lemon, I just adore lemon (and lime and grapefruit and all sorts of citrus)!

Hmmmmmm. Well, the acidity of the Torani Lemon was an easy bonus -- especially the 0-carb sweetening power -- in the Lemon Sorbet recipe I posted, but truly it can just be replaced with Lemon Juice and equivalent sweetener...

I haven't yet got to the protein boosted Lemon Sorbet, but that's because I haven't yet cracked that new big container of LemonAid flavour Protein Powder, one of those new "juice" transparent powders out there right now. The guy in the supplement store (a bodybuilder, but hey, I'll talk to anybody about food ) promises me it's very tart and lemon-y, and even told me about HIS chef friend who whipped up a sugarfree sorbet with the stuff when I told him what I wanted to do. Party-pooper.

I've also taken the lemon and the butter in and out of the fridge for days, meaning to get to a side by side of the LC LowCal Lemon Curd vs. merely LC Lemon Curd...but still working at the timing. But on that note, my first reaction is no, don't use a Lemon Curd (a custard as you rightly point out) as a base for a sorbet, though I think it would make a FAB swirl through a Lemon Zested scream, yum-O! I always think of sorbets (or is it sherbets?) as dairy-free, closer to a Granita...but I could be wrong. Why not whirl up a small batch in the ice cream gizmo and see? You just may have something there and I could be all wrong. Experimenting and pushing the boundaries is way fun...

You sound spot on about the definitions of sorbets. . .don't know what I was thinking. . .just know I was thinking with my taste buds. . .

I have NOT made dairy free sugar free. . .don't know the science about that. . .

The swirl idea does sound just about perfect. . .lemon zested scream. . .now I gotta dig that out of the thread. . .and wait 13 days !

Aside: Why does it have to be so hard to stay "healthy?" I work at this WOL, but although it works, it "ain't" easy! Beats the alternative, though!
Janie
Reply With Quote
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 10:29
magnamater magnamater is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 163
 
Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%
Location: Houston,Texas
Default

Jude, I found your recipe for sorbet, and I now get it!!!! It's the simple syrup recipe with PDX!

This sounds relatively "healthy!"

Now I need to decide whether to purchase the Nello ice cream maker! Neither my Cuisinart electric nor my old Donvier are freezing my attempts completely, even though I keep the tubs constantly in the freezer. . .and although I can pour the semi frozen scream into another container and freeze that. . .well, a girl can be impatient, can't she, while waiting for something you had to chill/season, then freeze. . .

Does the Nello freeze your treats completely?
Reply With Quote
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 02:12
IslandGirl's Avatar
IslandGirl IslandGirl is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 4,908
 
Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater
Jude, I found your recipe for sorbet, and I now get it!!!! It's the simple syrup recipe with PDX!

This sounds relatively "healthy!"

Now I need to decide whether to purchase the Nello ice cream maker! Neither my Cuisinart electric nor my old Donvier are freezing my attempts completely, even though I keep the tubs constantly in the freezer. . .and although I can pour the semi frozen scream into another container and freeze that. . .well, a girl can be impatient, can't she, while waiting for something you had to chill/season, then freeze. . .

Does the Nello freeze your treats completely?


Was that you dithering (oops, I meant enquiring ) about the Nello/Lello automatic (self-refrigerating) ice cream machine, I think back in Kitchen Talk some months ago?? Yeah, go for it. I loved it then and I love it now.

There's a Cuisinart full automatic, too, and it has a shiny Stainless exterior and a more Jeep-like (id est, "square cornered" ) shape, but I ended up the Lello because of price point and free shipping. And yes, it does freeze hard enough to make a lovely scoop, just have to let it keep going...until it doesn't. Then time for some fast spoonwork!

I have done that with the old Deni (freezer canister) but only when I wrapped an insulating towel all around with only a little peek opening around the top. Poor baby, it's on my garage sale list now.



total non-sequitur (and my favourite and stolen and very probably bad bit of latin): quandro omni flunkus moritati


Last edited by IslandGirl : Mon, Apr-16-07 at 11:57.
Reply With Quote
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 11:00
magnamater magnamater is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 163
 
Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%
Location: Houston,Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Was that you dithering (oops, I meant enquiring :devil about the Nello/Lello automatic (self-refrigerating) ice cream machine, I think back in Kitchen Talk some months ago?? Yeah, go for it. I loved it then and I love it now.

There's a Cuisinart full automatic, too, and it has a shiny Stainless exterior and a more Jeep-like (id est, "square cornered" ) shape, but I ended up the Lello because of price point and free shipping. And yes, it does freeze hard enough to make a lovely scoop, just have to let it keep going...until it doesn't. Then time for some fast spoonwork!

I have done that with the old Deni (freezer canister) but only when I wrapped an insulating towel all around with only a little peek opening around the top. Poor baby, it's on my garage sale list now.




total non-sequitur (and my favourite and stolen and very probably bad bit of latin): quandro omni flunkus moritati



Hey, I like the phrase!

That wasn't me talking about the ice cream machine. . .but I was lurking and salivating!

I currently do long term sub for regular (not sub) pay, teaching Latin--I am retired, sort of, and I just got called this a.m., so the $$'s might be there for 'scream! Let's not count my chickens, just have an interview!

Thanks for the help!
Janie
Reply With Quote
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 18:35
magnamater magnamater is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 163
 
Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%
Location: Houston,Texas
Default

Jude, I am now employed out of retirement and have already ordered that Nello 'sceamer!

I hope to report all sorts of good results, in good time!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00.


Copyright © 2000-2018 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.