Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-06, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

Thanks Jen, I believe that is the article BTW, Nice avitar!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 12:33
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Arachidonic Acid (AA) - that's my word of the day. I'm beginning to suspect that I have a sensitivity to it. AA is an omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid found in animal foods, especially egg yolks and red meat/fat. Too much of it in sensitive people can cause inflammation and can contribute to high blood pressure, among other things. I don't understand the scientific specifics, but I think that basically, the body produces prostaglandins (and other substances) as a result of AA metabolism, and these substances are inflammatory and contribute to constriction.

I'm beginning to wonder if working to improve the Omega 3: Omega 6 fatty acid profile in the diet would substantially reduce the amount of AA. I'm going to do an experiment where I'm only going to eat fat, meat, and eggs from grass-fed, free-range sources, as well as partake of plenty of fish (salmon, tuna, macherel), fish oil, flax, hemp, walnut/olive oil, and anything else I can come up with to lower Omega 6 and boost Omega 3.

I have chronic, long-term muscle & joint pain, fatigue, and high blood pressure that have not much improved since I started faithful LCing over 7 months ago. I've discovered my candida overgrowth and am addressing that. Now I've recently got a hunch that too much AA in my diet may be the missing part of the puzzle that will help me realize a more noticeable improvement in these conditions.

Does anyone else have any experience or helpful input with any of this??
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

I don't have any experience with that Jen, but I sure hope you figure it out and feel better!
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 07:45
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Well, I switched over to only grass-fed meat and free range eggs two days ago. I took my blood pressure yesterday and it was 125/75! I can live with that! It hasn't been that low since I did a 9-day water fast last summer. That is an amazing turn around from the 143/82 reading that I got after eating grain-fed roast beef and bacon on Friday.

It seems as though the decrease in arachidonic acid (AA) did the trick, after all these months of wondering why my blood pressure wouldn't go down! This seems to have lessened my pain level a little as well. It's amazing to me that such a simple change could be the magic button! But it looks like that's the case with me. I'm one of those persons the Eades (Protein Power) refer to as having nature throw them a curve ball with a sensitivity to AA! "Arachidonic Acid: Nature Throws Us a Curve"
http://www.opinions3.com/arachidonic_acid.htm

I'm finding out that this Omega essential fatty acid balance is a more complicated issue than I thought. There are more than one type of Omega-3 EFA. There's EPA & DHA, which comes from coldwater fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel), fish oils, and fresh seaweed. Then there's ALA, which comes from flax, hemp, green leafy vegetables, plant oils (olive and walnut oils are best). And then there's GLA, that comes from borage oil, black currant oil, and evening primrose oil. "GLA: The Missing Link" http://www.fatsforhealth.com/librar...issing_link.php

I'm currently using (1) Carlson's fish oil and eating fish for EPA & DHA, (2) flaxseeds, hemp protein powder, and olive and walnut oils for ALA, and (3) evening primrose oil for GLA. With my decrease of Omega-6 (and thus AA) by eating only grass-fed meat/eggs, I think I've finally got all the bases covered and my sensitivity addressed!! (I have followed the recommendations of Dr. Mercola on choosing Carlson's fish oil and evening primrose oil. I tend to value his opinion. www.mercola.com)

Enough talk of technicalities. Over the weekend, I made pemmican for the first time ever, out of grass-fed bison fat and grass-fed beef eye of round roast. I marinated the beef using my jerky recipe so it is nice and spicy, dried it really well, and pulverized it in the food processor. I rendered the fat for hours in the oven, and the cracklins were delicious and plentiful, so I froze them in 1-cup increments, hoping to come up with some way to use them up over time.

I mixed 2 parts meat to 1 part fat. I didn't use any dried berries or anything. The pemmican turned out fantastic! And I had fat left over, which I froze for another future batch. I've got my lunches ready-made now for a good week or two!

Also over the weekend, I tried a blender "eggnog." I have been wanting to incorporate raw eggs into my diet. Here's an article I thought was good about raw eggs: http://www.regenerativenutrition.com/content.asp?id=268. With 3 eggs, I blended a heaping spoon of coconut cream, a little cold water, some nutmeg, stevia, and some ice. It was delightfully tasty and frosty. And very filling. The satisfaction from all the fat lasted for a good three hours. I think I've got myself a new favorite breakfast. And the nutmeg has some nice health benefits as well.

Well, that's enough "fat talk" for one morning. Does anybody have any ideas how to use cracklins from fat rendering? (besides just eating them 'as is' )
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 10:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
It took me about a year to get over the "fear of fat" thing. When I first started Atkins, I remember thinking, "ok if this doesn't work, I am going to gain 50 lbs in no time." I was not worried about calories, and eating about 70% fat. Well, the weight immediately started falling off, so I felt pretty good. I was still a little uneasy about the high fat, though. Then, after doing Atkins for about 14 months I had a complete physical. Theh Dr. said everything was great, and my cholesterol numbers were excellent. At that point I was convinced that this was the proper way to eat. I have been at it for over 3 years now and have never felt better.

I could have written this!
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 19:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopgirl28
...........I like the "sorry I'm busy injecting bacon fat" comment I read earlier..........

I still laugh when I read that....

Otherwise, great thread! Fat does not worry or scare me in the least. I don't think I have ever once worried about fat since starting Atkins. Honestly, I worry more about hormones, irradiation and pesticides than fat.

Also, I am moving more and more towards organic foods as the budget allows. I had not given much thought to the AA content of beef, though have to admit, it does not seem to trouble me.

However, as was pointed out here, once you eat organic, grass fed, hormone free beef you will want to go throw any beef from the supermarket in the bin!
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 07:55

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Does anybody have any ideas how to use cracklins from fat rendering?

In Little House in the Big Woods Laura Ingalls refers to her mother saving cracklings to use in baking.

I bet you could make some truely excellent 'cornbread' using almond flour and crackling!
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 08:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
In Little House in the Big Woods Laura Ingalls refers to her mother saving cracklings to use in baking.

I bet you could make some truely excellent 'cornbread' using almond flour and crackling!

Crumble/Crunch them up into scrambled eggs and spinnach..a little white (Mozerella, Brick, Monterey Jack...) cheese on top and........ yum!
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 08:28

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
However, as was pointed out here, once you eat organic, grass fed, hormone free beef you will want to go throw any beef from the supermarket in the bin!

I bought some local, grass-fed, hormone free rib-eye steaks a couple of weekends ago for our anniversary. They were unbelieveably good. Normally, in a rib-eye, I would end up cutting out most of the chunks of fat, because it was chewy and not that good. The fat in these was almost creamy and was wonderful. Seriously the best steak I have ever had.
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 15:14

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I read somewhere today that Walmart's is going to open up organic food sections in their stores but darn if I can remember where I read it. Maybe organic produce and meat will be more affordable, although I don't know if this includes Canadian stores. Our walmarts are so huge they build them in areas that are hard to access by bus. So us poor folks who cannot afford cars can't shop there anyway. Ironic comes to mind.

edit: Mary Dan Eades website is where I read about it
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 06:55
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Essential Fatty Acid Balance

I think the article linked below is a pretty comprehensive explanation of the different fatty acids, their sources, and the importance of a certain balance in the diet. I didn't know there was so much complexity to this EFA thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid

The more I read, the more it becomes clear to me that the advent of grain in the "civilized" diet, and then the introduction of grain-fed livestock, poultry, and fish (farm-raised), has served to totally upset the EFA balance in many cultures around the world. The resulting widespread illness is the result.

I thought that removing grain from my diet and using supplementation took care of the EFA imbalance. Recently, I've found there's more to the equation, especially for someone like me who is sensitive to AA.

Eating only grass-fed meat has narrowed my food choices even more than they already were. Sometimes, I wish I didn't have to eat at all. It would make things so much simpler.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-06, 10:36
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Yep, I have had to up my fat content on induction due to exercise and the problem of waking in the night hungry. I have added more butter and pecans to my diet and its helping. I am still in ketosis.
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 08:29
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Steffanson, who studied the Eskimos and Indians of the far north, reports that when lean caribou was the only meat available, anxiety set in. These natives knew that a month or more on such meat, without the addition of marine animals or fatty fish, would make them sick and prone to disease. The ancient tribes of the American West would not eat female bison in the Spring because nursing and pregnant bison cows burned off their fat reserves during the winter months. In fact, most bison hunts occurred in the late Summer and Fall when the bison were naturally fattened on the ripe grain of prairie grasses.

Anthropologist Leon Abrams reports that the Aborigine will throw away a kangaroo he has killed if he discovers that its carcass does not contain sufficient fat. Members of Randolph Marcy's 1856 expedition to Wyoming grew weak and sick consuming a politically correct low-fat regime of six pounds of lean horse and mule meat per day; Dr. Wolfgang Lutz reports that a very efficient way of eliminating jailed political prisoners in South and Central America is to feed them a diet composed exclusively of lean meat. They soon develop severe diarrhea and succumb. The explanation is that fats contain nutrients like vitamin A that the body needs to utilize the amino acids and minerals in flesh foods; without fat in the diet, the body rapidly uses up its own stores of fat soluble vitamins. When these vital nutrients are depleted, the human organism can no longer fight off disease. http://www.mercola.com/article/Diet/caveman_cuisine.htm

I want to add that I believe a focus on grass-fed meat/fat is very important. The Omega EFA imbalance in grain-fed products is unhealthy. I recently discovered that arachidonic acid (an Omega 6 fatty acid) is high in grain-fed meat/fat, some people are sensitive to this acid, and it can cause inflammation and constriction in the body. I'm one of those sensitive people. My troublesome blood pressure (previously 140s/80s) was lowered immediately (108/63, as of today) by lowering arachidonic acid by a switch to solely grass-fed food sources.
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Jen, out of curiosity can you give some examples of symptoms you experience? I'm interested in this. I THINK my butcher is grassfed/organic, but as they get their meats from different local farmers I can't be sure all the time. Even if I were not sensitive I would want to eat grassfed anyway.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 14:24
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

I have chronic musculoskeletal pain (inflammation) and chronic fatigue. And I had high blood pressure (constriction). Arachodonic acid can actually aggravate or cause any inflammation or constriction problem, like asthma, which is inflammation of the airways.

My pain and fatigue are less these days, and I'm hoping over time they'll disappear completely. The blood pressure corrected itself virtually overnight. I've got sciatica, and I think I'm going to try some acupuncture for that.