Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 23:54
Registered Member

Plan: Nondieting/Moderation
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hi ArticCat

I was thinking about that, too. If I were in her place, I really wouldn't want to endorse another board - one that was not on her website or one she could not oversee directly or pay someone to administrate.

I hope I wasn't being too hard on her. That was not my intention, really.

I think I was just SO frustrated with trying to find an SP message board.

The Atkins website did once have a great message board, but after the death of Dr. Atkins, everything changed. The new board is practially usesless. Atkins, as a company, was divided into two sections - Atkins Foundation and Atkins Nutritionals. Atkins Foundation supported all of the studies. Atkins Nutritionals supported the message board website. They were combined as one company before his death, but Atkins Nutrtionals was sold in July by his widow.

The previous board was very in-depth and detailed according to the different levels and phases of the Atkins program. It had personal journal pages that can no longer even be accessed. How frustrating is that? It was very informational, and it is sad to see it just go away.

There are good Atkins websites, however, that still exist and are rather easy to find.

I didn't mean to sound so harsh. Dr. S. isn't here to defend her position on whether or not she will ever have her own website. She certainly owes me no explanation! I don't have a clue as to how much one would cost or what it would take to run one.

It's just that when I share the SP books with others, they invariably come back with a question about a website. I guess that's just to be expected in our day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 10:33

Plan: Schwarzbien principle
Stats: 157/154/140 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi ya'll-
yes, I'm from Texas - actually near PLANO. I'm a newbie and started on SP March 16. For reasons why see my other posts on threads on this board. It's right after my period and I'm feeling good - but then that should be no surprise to me - it's the two weeks before and during that I have had problems. I'm glad I found this board. Support brings hope. I'll be checking in often.
Anela
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 03:11

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm very new too, so it is comforting to see Artic Cat and M1 hanging about to offer wisdom. Thanks for that!

Nice you don't just take off because you reached goal....

Hello, Teena, Anela, Mom3.

I actually had lost this thread, I got wrapped up in one that I think I need to take a break from for a while. It was confusing me. I don't believe all carbs are bad.

I believe that a well rounded approach is ideal, if it works for you. That's why Schwarzbein appeals to me. It's not extremist, it doesn't peddle fear. I'm tired of being afraid of food groups--know what I mean?

I agree with Teena that a cool Schwarzbein website would be great! Fat Flush had one, but then again they were always peddling things--expensive things like rare supplements and weight loss cruises. I really get tired of being pitched to.

I did call Schwarzbein's office once, and they referred me to a doctor who had studied her method, because Schwarzbein was not accepting new patients. I called the second doctor. First of numerous visits would be $350.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 03:22

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Question to Artic and m1:

The only tool I am using on this site is this one--advice and communication.

I see that one could spend hours a day inputting stats, menus, exercise logs.
a)I don't know how to do that, and
b)I wonder how essential that is to success.
P.S.
c) How come I have a light bulb that is bright yellow next to my name thingy while everyone else has a pale blue light bulb?
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 07:23

Plan: Schwarzbein Principal
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Hello to this thread -- I've posted on a few others in the past few days, so I won't repeat any of that (re "Glucofast" esp.). Happy to see some action here. ActicCat and M1 -- you both have successfully lost weight on SP, whereas the going is SO SLOW for some others of us. Can you describe what you would eat in the course of a day or two during the losing period? Have you changed anything about it for maintenance?
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 07:24

Plan: Schwarzbein Principal
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

PS to ArcticCat and M1 -- Also, how much exercise in the course of a week?
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 21:48
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 198/183.5/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%

Teena-
Thanks soooo much for posting this message board on your Amazon review--that's how I got here
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 21:52
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 198/183.5/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%

I would LOVE to see a response to LessMom from those "losers" here I know that everyone is different, but it is nice to get a general sense of what others eat since there are so many different ways you can go with TSP (low-fat, no gluten etc...) I just don't know which to follow and don't want to go too strict (like no gluten) if I don't have to. I think it would make it much harder for me to make it a way of life if I had to cut out major stuff like that (but I will if I need to!).
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 01:05
Registered Member

BF:

Nicole -
You are very welcome. I posted this link because I had been so desperate to find a SP message board and was hoping to help others find the way.

I have always found, with any program, that I have to take a try and see attitude. The downside to that approach is that there's no quick answer. I'm just at the place where I can no longer look at what I eat today as set in concrete. If what I am doing doesn't prove to work out in the long run, then I will have to change my eating plans. By "work out," I mean increase my energy level and sense of well-being....improve my overall health - and hopefully lose weight.

I am questioning as to whether or not I should cut gluten out also. It's kind of funny how I have these "gut" instincts, but have a hard time following them through.

I think when it is all said and done for me, I will most likely have to cut both dairy and gluten out of the diet. That still leaves me with a great way to eat. I do eat high fat, because I know that I need to. Without the fat (and carbs) depression sets in for me big time.

Still pondering these issues, as you can tell. I tend to try something for a period of about 10 to 12 days. It's not a BIG commitment. If after that short period of time, I see no improvement, then I "tweak" it again.

Eventually, I will get there!

I wish you all the best.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 01:09
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Anela -

I'm actually from Plano, IL - did you know there was such a place?

It's funny. I ordered mail-order flower bulbs one time. I kept waiting and kept waiting - seems they mailed them to Plano, TX! Too funny. I eventually got them, and my husband and daughter and I found ourselves planting 2000 flower bulbs in November - in Chicago! I'll NEVER forget it! LOL!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 05:53

Plan: Schwarzbien principle
Stats: 157/154/140 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Teena-
Didn't know Plano was in Ill. I bet your yard is beautiful in the spring. Hey, it's now spring! hooray!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 18:59
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Sorry I didn't answer quickly. I'm in and out of here. My weight loss actually came in fits and starts. Nothing on a regular basis. I didn't really chart anything at that time. And with her program you need to figure out how much protein you need, and how many carbs. Follow one of her menus in the book if you need an idea of what it all looks like. I eat more carbs now than I did then because I'm maintaining now. When I drop to low I lose more weight.

3 times a week for 30 minutes is a good place to start. I work in a fitness center now so I'm intermittently off and on equipment all day so I don't have a set schedule. Any one who wants a specific question answered can tap my shoulder in my journal to get my attention. And if you want boring data info it's all the beginning of my journal, complete with supplements lists and menus. Enjoy.

I personally eat no gluten and watch where my fat comes from, but by no means am low-fat. Makes you all dried up. EWWW. I eat leaner meats mostly, but olive and canola oil almost daily in one way or another. Lower saturated fats you could say.

Last edited by m1whowaits : Tue, Mar-21-06 at 20:15.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 20:12
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Teena and everyone else new... you should start a personal journal. There you could list menus nad vent if off topic from something here. It's a great way to communicate.

Teena, just pulled a map to remind me where things are and got a blast from my past. I moved from Joliet in 1981 and have only been back once in 1988. I still have friends in Channahon, Plainfield and in Lockport.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 00:18
Registered Member

BF:

Hi M1whowaits -

We moved from southern IN to up here in the Chicago area back in 1979. It's "home" to us now. It sure is crowded up here, though!

I know I should start a journal, but I'm so "gabby" and I love to write. That equals WAY too much time spent on the computer!

Running away to read some journals.....

You've been very helpful, and I thank you for that. I'm having such a bad day...

I'll let you know if I have any questions. Thanks a bunch!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 20:34
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/my own
Stats: 215/220/140 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: -7%

Howdy all I am new here too, I came to this quite accidently about a week ago, I was browing the book store for a vegetarian cookbook, and as I was wandering I picked up her book, I got it and started reading, it caught my attention because I have been struggling for over 10 years, since I was diagnosed borderline diabetic, at that time I weight over 300, the doc sent me to a dietician and I did lose, but then started gaining and I have been on a cycle of losing and gaining, during the past year I did LA weightloss, and lost 30 lbs, then stopped losing, so they cut me back and cut me back until I felt like I was going to starve to death :-P The book really struck me in that she says you have to first get healthy then you will be able to lose weight, so I started working on changing my eating, which was already fairly healthy, aside from a few headaches from cutting back on caffeine it is going well, I think I might still be eating a few too many carbs, but I am working on it, also I live in a place with not a lot of resources for organic foods, so that will be interesting, and I lost 5 lbs this week but it really feels mostly like water, I was so poofy, look forward to many great conversations!
Tazzie