Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#46   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 15:02

Plan: atkins/
Stats: 155/145/128
BF:??/27/22
Progress: 37%
Default question about induction

Karen,

I have started induction today, but have a question. Dr. Atkins says you can have 2 cups of salad greens and 1 cup of other vegetables totaling 20 carbs. I went through the book and that is WAY less than 20 carbs when you count the digestible carbs. So can I have more than that? for example 6 cups of lettuce and 2 cups of veggies. Even when I count eggs and cheese it seems to be less. Am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 15:20
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Sasha,

I'm not Karen ... but since she's away for a few weeks, hope you don't mind if I offer my 2¢.

Yes, you are right. You may choose whatever combination of low-carb, high-fiber veggies (from the allowed foods list) will net you 20g carbs ... be sure to include the incidental carbs in things like cheese, eggs, coffee (if you drink it), cream and artificial sweetener though.

The recommendation for 2 cups salad + 1 cup cooked veg. is just a guideline. And do remember that "salad" isn't just lettuce .. if you look at the list of suggested veg. it includes mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers, raw spinach, cucumbers etc etc.

hth,

Doreen
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 16:06

Plan: atkins/
Stats: 155/145/128
BF:??/27/22
Progress: 37%

Thanks Doreen!
I am sure I will be back here with more questions later.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 12:11

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%
Lightbulb Can it be true?

Are you kidding me, Doreen T? I have been racking my brain to figure out how to get up to 20 carbs a day without eating huge amounts of dairy. I thought I was only allowed to eat two cups of salad vegs and 1 cup of other veg a day on induction. I would love to be eating a big pile of spinach instead of those "staller" bars to increase my counts. Please, say it's true......

Jones
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 21:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/220/180
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default 20g of C

Hi all,

OK, I have read the book and gone over the induction section numerous times. I consider myself a fairly quick study but I was a bit foggy on the counting carbs deal. Dr. Atkins suggests that you eat "liberally" of the meats/fish/eggs, 3-4 oz (around 100g?) of cheese and 3 cups of leafy greens or only 2 cups in you have a cup of the "other" vegetables. He also mentions olives and avocados. Then there is the 20g of carbs a day part. Hmmmm? So from reading Doreen's post I am now understand that this 20g of carbs are to be considered even when following the liberal meats/3cups leafy greens/other veggie menu. Do I have it now?

Also, any tips on recognising the weight/volume of foods? I look at a bunch of cauliflower and I have no idea if it's a cup, half a cup, or 2 cups. Don't get me started on ounces!

I started this diet on Monday and it seems to be going well. 5lbs down and not hungry yet.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 03:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkin
Stats: 61/59/49
BF:
Progress: 17%
Question advice needed!!!1

Hi,

I understand from some websites about this Atkins diet and wanted to try it out.. understand that there are books on how to go about it. While doing a search in Kinokuniya, it shows quite a number of books under Dr Atkins... Wonder which would be most helpful for a beginner like me. Can any of you advice me???

Quote:
A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out"
  #52   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 11:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello all!

This thread has been closed. To ask questions pertaining to this thread, use the Newbies Questions Forum.

Karen
Closed Thread