Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 18:36
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey Nancy! They must be some special Wasa crackers you have there because they do contain carbohydrates.

We had a discussion on Wasa Light here, so as you can see, they are not that high in fiber.

I think spinach would be a better choice. One cup of cooked spinach contains 6.75 g of carbohydrates and 4.32 g of fiber. So, the effective carbs would be 2.43 g. In fact, many low-carb leafy greens are higher in fiber than Wasa crackers.

I personally don't eat anything with grain - I'm a paleo wannabe - but there are a few people who do with no problems.

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 16:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/215/175
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Question about Lable Reading

Hi!

I need a little bit of clarification.

I just read through the Label Reading thread, and I have a question. How can a food have sugar and be carb free? Also, Hotdogs have nitrates, but the ones I saw at the store have less that 2% nitrates. Would those be ok or shoud I totally avoid ANYTHING with nitrates?

I know the book says stay away from sugar, but it emphasizes counting carbs. So if a salad dressing has no carbs but a little bit of sugar is it ok?

Also, I have one final question: If I count the carbs of something with low carbs for example a "one or two" carb salad dressing and count them in my total carbs, and one of the ingreedents is sugar is it ok to have?

~K
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 17:28

Plan: 60 grams or less a day
Stats: 178/148/135
BF:
Progress: 70%

Wow - a lot of great information, thanks!!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 17:49
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
I just read through the Label Reading thread, and I have a question. How can a food have sugar and be carb free?

It can't, but it can state that it's carb free because it has less than 1 gram of carbohydrates per serving.

For the rest of your questions, it depends on how "pure" you want to be. Some take that approach, and some don't. It's what you feel comfortable with and how cleanly you want to eat.

Karen
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 19:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/165/165 Female 170
BF:
Default newbie

I have been doing Atkins for about 6 weeks. I have lost 7 kgs 15.4lbs.

Am wondering about my fibre intake, reading above it sounds like psyllium or metamucil are fairly popular.

What about Atkins for my overweight 13 year old son?

any ideas?

Great forum

Thanks, Rose
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 22:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

A woman called into the Larry King show yesterday with a question about her 13-yr-old daughter. Dr. Atkins was all for the child being put on the plan. On here, most people suggest beginning at maintenance level for kids. Since it's almost impossible to regulate everything they put in their mouths, I go a bit stricter when I do have control, like for lunches or at home, but I ease up for social occasions.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 23:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/165/165 Female 170
BF:

thanks for that info, he has been doing it for about 10 days. He is very good, packed his lunch today as he was going to a friend's place - salad, hard boiled egg, cheese and a can of diet coke - all without me mentioning it.

He is starting to see results so it is easy for him to keep keen I guess.

Rose
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 09:27
Registered Member

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 290/290/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default fat protein

hi just read this stuff and was confused about the fat protein thing. maybe i dont eat enought fat. i have olive oil on my salad as a dressing and then fry with it for a stir fry at dinner. is this ok. also read about the suger stuff. should i avoid all food that has suger as part of its carb count???
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 17:23

Stats: 205/190.5/180
BF:
Progress: 58%
Smile Malitol

I have recently started the Atkins version of LC and wanted to know how to handle the claims that Malitol counts as basically zero carbs. Many of the candy bars and other "sweet" offerings have this as a main ingredient - and I am not sure if I really should be counting the total number of carbs - or only the "remainder" (usually 1-2 as they indicate on their packaging).

Please help - I am still in the induction phase and would prefer not to prolong the process of getting my body "into gear".

THANKS!
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 02:52
Forum Founder

BF:

leegeddy, if you click on Low Carb Tips at the top of the page, you'll find an article on sugar alcohols that explains the whole mystery.

Karen
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 16:38
Registered Member

Stats: 241/196/157 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%
Question Carb minus fibre

Hello,

I have a question that is confusing me at the moment. I am on Atkins and I know that I can deduct the fibre content from the carbs on the back of the packet to get my digestable carb count. I have been quite happily doing that until today when I found some brazil nuts which had a higher fibre count than carb count. Does that make it 0g of carb, (which I find hard to believe), or am I just looking at this wrong.

Thanks,

Foxy
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 17:33
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Does that make it 0g of carb, (which I find hard to believe), or am I just looking at this wrong.

It's not you, it's the labelling. When you run across a "miracle product, it's usually because the fiber has been pre-subtracted from the carb count.

Have a look at the Hidden Carbs Inspector in Low Carb Tools at the top of the page. It will set those Brazil nuts straight!

Karen
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 12:56

Stats: 240/226/199
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi Karen,

I first began my venture with Atkins diet 2 years ago, lost 30 llbs in 8 weeks, it was awesome but unfortunately I gained it all back. My 3 young kids finally got me eating their food again darn ! Well I started back on the diet 4 weeks ago and have done well, have lost 14 llbs. When I was on the diet a couple of years ago I lost alot of muscle which can be normal but this time I began lifting weights to prevent muscle loss. I have found a whey protein supplement powder to drink before my workouts it contains 2g carbs per shake not including the 1 oz of heavy wiped cream I add. Do you think this will hurt my weightloss? I would love to be able to build muscle and still be able to lose the fat if its possible! I have been using it for about a week and it has slown me down some but I am still at a moderate level on the ketostix. Thanks for your Help!!!
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 11:05

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question Counting Carb bars on FitDay

Hi, how do I count the carbs and fiber for an Atkins advantage bar on FitDay? Doing it the usual way gives me 21 carbs a bar, I know that's not right!!
Thanks.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 03:11

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default does this look like im on the right track

besides the caffiene?? doe

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 2210