Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 18:15

Plan: UltraGlycemix
Stats: 244/240/150
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default I'm going to HAVE to get the 2002 edition...

... the one from the library is 1999.

There are extra chapters in the newest one, right?

-m-
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 23:22
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There are a few more chapters as well as new information. I just wish he would have explained that there are withdrawal symptoms, to keep calories up and not freak if ketosticks show no more than trace. Oh, and keep off the scale too!

Karen
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 12:55

BF:
Cool I'm so bad....

I have a hard time staying away from the scale. So I have a rule - I can step on it as much as I want, but only the "official" weighing counts for _anything_.

So when I stepped on the scale on Wednesday morning first thing for the official weigh in it was 234.5 so I have to count my weight as that. The fact that it was 236 this morning is not allowed to count for anything and I don't get to tell people I weigh 236 (if for some reason I was telling my weight!)

In OA they would only let me weigh in on the first day of the month... I hope to get back to that kind of schedule for my "official" weighs.

Withdrawal is dreadful!!

I can't believe some times how far reaching it is. In OA we said 21-30 days for withdrawal, so I shouldn't be surprised that in the second low carb week I am having a harder time, but of course I thought it would be different this time!

I am doing well though - after saying I wasn't going to give up coffee yet I am actually on day 2 of no coffee... anything that interferes with this WOL is on its way out, I just have to be patient about it. Day at a Time...

I am enjoying my wonderful food plan immensely. The food itself it so good tasting... things like cabbage, which I hadn't eaten in years, are marvelous...

I'm definitely going to get the 2002 edition and do my homework. Getting to know what will work for me is going to help me to stick to this, then it will be MY plan... <g>

Thanks for being there....

-Misty

Onward and Downward!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, May-12-02, 16:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/238/180 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Drinking water

To SarahE11
Dringking enough water is one of the hardest things for me to do.
I started taking a natural firber laxative, you know the orange flavored one, and that really helps me start the dayoff with a good glass of water. I do this twice a day and have had know problem. I know that sounds funny but I need all the water I can get. Also I eat the carb bars and drink 20oz of water them all the time with them. I use to drink alot of coffee I mean alot and have cut it down over half because I know I need to drink my water.
Good luck
  #20   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 21:06

BF:
Smile How much water do you drink?

I'm still struggling... never get to where I should be but today I am having more water than usual...

-m-
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 03:09

Stats: 238/238/180 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Water

Mistybee, I never imagined that I would stop drinking coffee. I use to use cream but several years ago I tried it black because of another diet i was on and I liked it. Give me a good expresso anytime I'll say a prayer for you that God will give you the strength to keep you going this time in the right direction.
Keepup the good work
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 22:05

BF:
Default Re: Water

Quote:
Originally posted by wimpystl
I'll say a prayer for you that God will give you the strength to keep you going this time in the right direction.
Keepup the good work

Thanks, w!

A day at a time, I will try...

I have never liked black coffee but now when I crave a cuppa I am trying to have it decaf....

I gave up putting sugar in it several years ago so that is not an issue for me...love the cream tho!!

-m-
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 13:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/132/120
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default coffee water

Mistybe,

Try drinking your water at room temp. I know that sounds wierd, but it helps with those coffee cravings - you know, craving for something warm to drink. Also, I like Talking Rain water - it is bubbly and fun to drink and comes in 20 oz bottles, which is great for measuring consumption. If you have a costco by you they sell it by the case for about $10. Second, never drink more than 16 oz - 20 oz of water in an hour or you could overload your system - better to spread it out through out the day. Good luck!

j
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 16:43
Registered Member

Stats: 148/147/125 Female 5' 8
BF:
Wink

OK I was wondering .. you have all said that the low carb bar have stuff in them.. even the atkins ones? I dont think that he would put his name on something that would have a bunch of carbs in it ????

Last edited by aggieamy : Tue, May-28-02 at 21:29.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 11:57

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 220/176/175 Male 184
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default What is the rule of Thumb?

<b>What is the rule of Thumb?</b>

Am I correct in saying that I can eat or drink anything regardless of the ingredient as long as I stay under my carb count daily? Or are there good carbs and bad ones?

This ECC thing is new to me also. Does this mean that my portion of breakfast cereal may be 10 gms of carbs but also 8gms of fiber and effectively this means that I have only consumed 2 gms of carbs?

This is a lightening bolt for me.

I had no idea. Someone confirm this please.[B]
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 15:39
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Am I correct in saying that I can eat or drink anything regardless of the ingredient as long as I stay under my carb count daily? Or are there good carbs and bad ones?

No, there are good carbs and bad carbs.

In the Rules of the Induction Diet Atkins states: Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat nuts or seeds in the first few weeks. Foods that combine protein and carbohydrate such as chick peas, kidney beans and other legumes are not permitted at this time.

After induction, carbs are increased in 5 gram per week increments, but not increased with bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Vegetables are used and a few nuts if you do not have any problems with them.

Karen
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:36

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 317/309/160 Female 5 FT. 9 IN.
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default spreadsheets

Using a spreedsheet is a fantastic tool. Not only can you use it to track your carbs, but you can also use it to track your daily eating. You can set it to total up your protein, carbs and fluid intake per meal and a running total for the day. Great Idea Karen. Thanks!

Lark
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 22:23

Stats: 212/192/165
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Fibre - Phil C

Hi Phil,

I'm in Australia so this may not be helpful, but I looked through all of the fibre supplements to find the one lowest in carbs and here it is Benefiber. It's guar gum based and from memory 1g instead of 5g.

Also it tastes like nothing, smells like nothing and can be added to anything (including still water) without detection. The Claytons of Fibre supplements!!!

I would recommend it. Also I 'm on Atkins and having great results, so Good Luck!

Sam
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 16:31

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Cool on diet buddies

I can agree that a diet buddy can be like an exercise buddy.. EVer time I have tried that route .. UGGGHY!!!
But what you need to do is find a good support system. (anyone that is posting and reading here has started that!)
My sisters and I have all different metabolic types.
for one family.. we seem to run the gamut.
We can't buddy up. Even when I lived with Tanya. she did her exercise and I did mine.. but we cheered each other one.
THAT is what helps to find your way through nutritional mazes.
SO.. whoever said.. they didn't like the buddy system. I agree..I like the Network system!

Poofie!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wf738.jpg (10.0 KB, 35 views)
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 17:48

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Question fiber

Hi Karen, How are you? Would like to discuss Wasa bread with you. I seem to be the only one eating it. Actually, I've eaten it for 30 years as a bread substitute once and a while. On Atkins I've only had 1 slice this week and I miss it.

What I want to know is, since Wasa bread has more fibre than
carbs, would it be ok to eat it a little more often? I really need the fibre. (I've always eaten very high fibre). Wasa lite has 13g of fibre and only 6.6g of carbs. Am I in negative carbs? What do you think? Thanks, Nancy
Closed Thread