Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 20:01
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
I was looking for pate a choux recipes and stumbled across a page of sorbet recipes from celebrity chef Charlie Trotter. These are some pretty funky combinations so I thought they'd be right up your alley:

http://labellecuisine.com/archives/...ly%20Sorbet.htm

All of the sorbets there sound actually fairly normal and pretty good, until I got to the last one.

Pink Grapefruit-Chile-Tequila Sorbet

Yield: 1 quart

2 large pears, peeled, cored and chopped
3/4 cup Simple Syrup
1 jalapeņo, stemmed, halved, and seeded
2 pink grapefruits, skin and pith removed, quartered,
and any juice reserved
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup tequila

I can't even picture it
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 21:17
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
All of the sorbets there sound actually fairly normal and pretty good, until I got to the last one.
Pink Grapefruit-Chile-Tequila Sorbet
I can't even picture it

Oh I can!!! I bet the chile gives it a hot spicy finish. You would have to use a really good tequila--like a Heradura--gold!! Oh Yeah!!! I can imagine that!!

Scott--now I have to find that thread on how to make a simple syrup--what was that made out of--PolyD???

Lisa
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 12:17
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

That sounds really good but wouldnt there be a freezing issue with the tequilla? I know when I add alcohol to ice cream it prevents it from getting rock hard but with this much tequilla it sounds like it would never get hard in the first place unless the alcohol was cooked off or something.

I make a polyd syrup that is 1.5:1 (I add some shugr for sweetness too and I use it instead of corn syrup)
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 14:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/239.5/160 Female 68 inches
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 45%

this week-end is the local homeshow/fair.. they have a machine called a vita-mix.. i didnt get one last year,, but if you have never heard of it.. it mixes so fast it chops/makes, and warms soup to eating boil... it mixes and freezes to soft ice cream stage.. it is kinda expensive.. but i think I am gonna get me one this week-end...

dianna

Last edited by dianna9234 : Wed, Apr-05-06 at 10:50.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 15:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My brother has one and he loves it. He says they make ice cream with it, I take it they put in a bunch of frozen ingredients and what comes out is like ice cream in texture.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 22:20

Plan: Low Carb Lifestye, Atkins
Stats: 515/474.5/180 Male 71 Inches
BF:Got Some
Progress: 12%

Sorbet looks amazing, thanks for sharing!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 08:16

Plan: Almost vegan,lowGI,lowfat
Stats: 270/236/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

dianna, did you get your Vita-mix? My dh used to own an espresso business, and when we sold the business, we kept one of our vita-mixes. We use it all the time. We still use it mainly to make ice blended drinks!

For anyone who is looking for them, hibiscus flowers can also be found at Mexican markets or in big grocery stores with the Mexican spices. Might also be called jamaica.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, May-13-06, 10:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/239.5/160 Female 68 inches
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 45%

oh yeah.. i LOVE it... it took a little over 3 weeks.. but worth the wait.. i find i get too many carbs now.. so i try not to use it all the time.. fresh fruit smoothies.. fresh veggies (soup).. alas.. i need some LC recipes so I can use it more!!

dianna
  #24   ^
Old Sun, May-14-06, 09:34

Plan: Almost vegan,lowGI,lowfat
Stats: 270/236/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

dianna, think of protein powder shakes - like ice blended mochas you would get at a coffee house. All it takes is protein powder, cocoa powder, some coffee (if you want it), cream, ice, and any sf syrup you might want (think raspberry, almond roca, black cherry, vanilla). We even buy clear cups - like the coffee house uses- and lids and straws from a warehouse or restaurant supply store. Here's the basic formula for a coffee house ice blended drink:

for a 16 oz cup:
5 oz liquid (marked on the side of your vitamix)(could be cream, some syrup, water, etc)
1 scoop powder (protein powder, or lc Big Train brand)
16 oz ice

Use the low speed on your vitamix. Start blending. Have some extra liquid on hand to pour through the top if your mix is too thick. Use the tamper that came with your vitamix to break up pockets of ice, and to help the blending. When you've got the right consistency, everything will turn over and make a "whirlpool", and the blender's sound will change to more of a whine. Then, you're done! Top with whipped cream, and enjoy!

With that above basic recipe, you could make:
Mocha freeze - add cocoa to the powder, and coffee
Variations on mocha freezes - Roca Mocha (with almond roca or toffee syrup), black cherry mocha, raspberry mocha
Vanilla freezes - vanilla freeze, raspberry-vanilla freeze, peach freeze
Orange Cream (like a creamsicle) - since we can't use oj, try some orange syrup or orange extract
Slushies - use the sf fruit syrups like watermelon, mango, strawberry. No powder, and you'll have to play with the liquid to get the consistency right.

I highly recommend that you DON'T use the Torani sf clear chocolate syrup. Gross!!!