Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 11:52

Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%

Looking back through the thread, it's only been about 4 days really.

Wow.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 11:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
During the summer I follow low carb. From Thanksgiving to spring it's more high carb.

I just can't believe how much more in control of my ailments I am. My blood pressure was a little high last time so I want that to be better but I was just sitting and observing yesterday at work and I actually just felt good. It's been a long time since that has happened.
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 18:26
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm so pleased for you!!!
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 08:07

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%
Thumbs up 2,000IU Vitamin D softgel

Carlson makes a 'very tiny' softgel Vitamin D 2000IU.
I buy it online because I can't find it in stores.
Cheap also... 120 Softgels for $5.28

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/....jsp?id=CL-1819

When I first started taking Vitamin D (Thanks to Zuleikaa ) I took 12,000 IU per day at 1,000IU each pill. The pills were a large solid type pill and I found it hard to swallow so I searched and now never use anything else but the Carlson softgels 2000IU.

Now my search is on for the same 'tiny' softgel form of a calcium/ magnesium supplement? I did find a high dose of combined calcium/ magnesium in only 2 pills but again those pills are large solid type and hard to swallow.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 11:31
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNikki
Carlson makes a 'very tiny' softgel Vitamin D 2000IU.
I buy it online because I can't find it in stores.
Cheap also... 120 Softgels for $5.28

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/....jsp?id=CL-1819

When I first started taking Vitamin D (Thanks to Zuleikaa ) I took 12,000 IU per day at 1,000IU each pill. The pills were a large solid type pill and I found it hard to swallow so I searched and now never use anything else but the Carlson softgels 2000IU.

Now my search is on for the same 'tiny' softgel form of a calcium/ magnesium supplement? I did find a high dose of combined calcium/ magnesium in only 2 pills but again those pills are large solid type and hard to swallow.
A different option, the Bio D Forte liquid is 2,000 IU per drop. They come in the 1 ounce size which contains 720 drops for $18.00 from dcnutrition.com
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 14:30

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Thanks but I don't mind the Carlson Vitamin's since I still take a lot of other supplements daily. The tiny softgel makes it so much easier to take.

Actually, I cut my Vitamin D intake in half for the summer because I spend alot of time outdoors and every weekend at the ocean. It's only June and I am extremely dark & tanned as if I was in the Tropics. People don't believe me when I say I got this color from NY beaches, lol. I was always the first to tan the darkest as a young girl and today I'm still the same- nothing feels better to me then the hot sun. I've taken extra good care of my skin and now at age 40-something - my skin is still in pretty good condition (thanks to my mom and her family genes). I do have some sun spots appearing from years of sunning but overall nothing worse then that.

The Sun's vitamin D feels so much better then any supplement form! I'm going to enjoy every bit of it for as long as the sun shines! Winter months I'll get it in pill form but will stick with the Carlson Vitamin D.

Last edited by NYNikki : Mon, Jun-26-06 at 15:47.
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 03:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
A different option, the Bio D Forte liquid is 2,000 IU per drop. They come in the 1 ounce size which contains 720 drops for $18.00 from dcnutrition.com

I got the drops but I still had some soft gels left so I haven't taken them yet. How do you take the drops? Do you put them in something like food or a drink?

I'm still feeling good with the vitamin D. Work is still hell but I am handling it better.
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 08:31
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesGG
I got the drops but I still had some soft gels left so I haven't taken them yet. How do you take the drops? Do you put them in something like food or a drink?

I'm still feeling good with the vitamin D. Work is still hell but I am handling it better.
Actually you can just drop them in your mouth. I drop them on my forefinger and lick them off.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 13:05
Finding the Pieces

BF:

***Update***
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 20:15

Plan: protein power
Stats: 245/236/175 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I found this thread EXTREMELY interesting and I am ready to try this supplement therapy for DH. He is 6', 250 lbs, diabetes, HBP, high cholesterol.

Are these the appropriate amounts?

Chromium 200 twice daily
gymnema 500 twice daily
Vit D ~ 4000 twice daily
Cinnamon 500 twice daily
Cider Vinegar 1000 twice daily

He already takes (and will continue):

Cal/Mag 300/150 twice daily
Vit C 500 once daily in summer/ twice daily in winter
Potassium 99 1 in AM/ 2 in PM

The Vit D I ordered did not say "chdecalciferol" but was the gel caps recommended above...so I assume they are OK?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Deb

Last edited by Flintstone : Fri, Jul-21-06 at 20:21.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 06:20
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone
I found this thread EXTREMELY interesting and I am ready to try this supplement therapy for DH. He is 6', 250 lbs, diabetes, HBP, high cholesterol.

Are these the appropriate amounts?

Chromium 200 twice daily
gymnema 500 twice daily
Vit D ~ 4000 twice daily
Cinnamon 500 twice daily
Cider Vinegar 1000 twice daily

He already takes (and will continue):

Cal/Mag 300/150 twice daily
Vit C 500 once daily in summer/ twice daily in winter
Potassium 99 1 in AM/ 2 in PM

The Vit D I ordered did not say "chdecalciferol" but was the gel caps recommended above...so I assume they are OK?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Deb
That's right. You should increase the C to 2,000 mg/day, 3,000 mg in winter.

The apple cider vinegar is best taken as a liquid mixed with water.

Nikki discovered that if you have dawn effect (sugar high in the morning) it can be lowered by taking an additional 2 cinnamon capsules at bedtime the night before.

The Carlson's gels are fine.

This regimen will also help hpb. For high cholesterol, he should take 2,000-4,000 mg fish oil per day.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 07:02

BF:

Thanks so much Zul!!
I can't wait for my order to arrive so we can give this a shot! I'm to assume that Dh should remain on all his meds. Will plan on 3 month check-up, if you think this is often enough.

Its very frustrating to have dr throwing pills at you left and right! (DH is on 11 of them). I sat down one night and did research on everything he was taking...and almost every one of them caused a complication of another condition...many raise bs..raise bp, etc. So they write another script! When I presented the dr with my findings...he said..."oh well, its better than not taking it!!" GRRRRR!

DH has dropped 25 lbs since March and is 1/3 of the way to his goal..so I know that will help tremendously! And when I explained all this to him...he's on-board with trying it!

I was up til about 1am reading thru the "Experiment" thread...and I'm AMAZED at the amount of research that you have put into this!!

I should propably post this question over there....but I'll try it here and hope you see it!

A dear friend of my is battling a condition called hemochromatosis, which is excess iron in the blood. BY the time it was diagnosed....damaged has already occured in the liver and spleen. Do you know of any vitamin therapy that may help with this!

Zul...I soooo appreciate you help with this and will check back with results and more questions if you don't mind!! I will try to get thru the rest of the "Experiment" thread and perhaps join in there.

You are the best!!!

Deb
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 10:21
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Thanks so much Zul!!
I can't wait for my order to arrive so we can give this a shot! I'm to assume that Dh should remain on all his meds. Will plan on 3 month check-up, if you think this is often enough.
This protocol will lower bs and bp. He should check both frequently as a reduction in meds will probably be called for after a while. I would hate to have him over medicate.

Quote:
Its very frustrating to have dr throwing pills at you left and right! (DH is on 11 of them). I sat down one night and did research on everything he was taking...and almost every one of them caused a complication of another condition...many raise bs..raise bp, etc. So they write another script! When I presented the dr with my findings...he said..."oh well, its better than not taking it!!" GRRRRR!
I think doctors are only good for mechanics, i.e., injuries. They know bumpkiss about nutrition and drug side effects.

Quote:
A dear friend of my is battling a condition called hemochromatosis, which is excess iron in the blood. BY the time it was diagnosed....damaged has already occured in the liver and spleen. Do you know of any vitamin therapy that may help with this!

Twice a day for at least 8 weeks
2 Vitamin A from fish liver, 10,000 IU
4 Vitamin D, 1,000 IU (more in winter or if you have vitamin D deficiency related problem.
Calcium with magnesium combo totaling 1,800-2,400 mg calcium and 900-1,200 mg magnesium
4 Oregano oil, 150 mg
3 Omega oils (contains borage, flax and fish oils)
400-500 mg milk thistle
400-500 mg dandelion
300-600 mg alpha lipoic acid

The above will detox and heal, the liver can regenerate if supported.

Deb[/QUOTE]
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 16:07

BF:

Zul...again thank you! Don't know if my friend will go for this...but I've e-mailed it all to her husband. She has a medical background and may scoff at this type of therapy! Heck the blood-letting is doing absolutely NOTHING for her and her condition is advancing. I say its worth a try and I am grateful for your input! Will let you know what she decides!!!

I've finished the "Experiment" thread and have a question. Like I said, DH is on-board with trying this; however, he is a truck-driver and I was reading about the explosive diahrea side effect that some have incurred. Is this someting that would continue throughout the day, continuously, or just during a normal BM? Does it occur in everyone? (I know there are no absolutes). Also, how long would one expect this to continue? This may be one downfall to the program that he just won't be able to work around given his circumstances.
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 18:50
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Zul...again thank you! Don't know if my friend will go for this...but I've e-mailed it all to her husband. She has a medical background and may scoff at this type of therapy! Heck the blood-letting is doing absolutely NOTHING for her and her condition is advancing. I say its worth a try and I am grateful for your input! Will let you know what she decides!!!

I've finished the "Experiment" thread and have a question. Like I said, DH is on-board with trying this; however, he is a truck-driver and I was reading about the explosive diahrea side effect that some have incurred. Is this someting that would continue throughout the day, continuously, or just during a normal BM? Does it occur in everyone? (I know there are no absolutes). Also, how long would one expect this to continue? This may be one downfall to the program that he just won't be able to work around given his circumstances.
Usually the explosive diarrhea happens when you have to "go". It comes out explosively when you sit on the toilet. Some can hold it for a while. Some cannot. It's not like real diarrhea when you don't know it's coming and can't be far from a toilet, but you do have more frequent BMs.

The symptoms can last for a few days as your body is cleaning out. The more wrong, the more cleaning.

It doesn't happen to everyone.