Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 13:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Well!

Today is the day!

I am begining my regimen again, but a wee more sanely this time. Tonight is the day 1 workout, tomorrow or the next day is day 2. I am not going to go every day as that seems to be too hard on me and I end up injuring myself. I will do the stationary bike daily though, 1/2 hour at a whack...longer if I have the time. I have rided 20 - 30 miles in one day on my regular bike, this time on the stationary is no big deal physically for me.

I have also made some changes at work and there are certain things I will not do, that always end up hurting my back. They have to deal with that....

So, I am losing weight again, exercising again and lovin it!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 20:38

Me? Doin Dandy!

Monday was Day 1 on my workout chart along with about 20 minutes on the bike....my youngest son had a personal tragedy that took me off the bike early. he's 7 and he tripped and stubbed his toe.......

Wednesday was the day 2 on my workout chart....and 1/2 hour on the stationary bike.

The hotel this weekend has a pool and an exercise room...so swimming and whatever else I can work in! WOO HOO!
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-07, 17:59

Hi, remember me?

I don't know why, but I just stopped working out all of a sudden like. Can't keep doing that. You know how it goes, you miss one day then 2 and so on....

Anyway, today sees 1/2 hour or so on the stationary bike along with a good couple of hours of raking leaves, pulling dead plants and sheet composting my garden. So I got plenty of exercise today. Tomorrow will be tough with an early meeting and a late workday...but I will get in at least my half hour on the bike.

More later.....
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-07, 22:01

I'm baaaaaaaaaack!

Been doin well. I have started working certain body groups once or twice a week only. Time is hectic and I have still managed to work time in. I am also doing 1/2 hour almost daily on the stationary bike.

The real test will be if I can maintain this level or even step it up some, through the Thanksgiving holiday and on through Christmas.

Just a quick blurb, off to update my journal....

Till next time, gooombye!
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-08, 20:17

On New Years Day, I signed up for Family membership at the Local YMCA. No, it was/is not a New Years Resolution! I don't make those...never really have. Anyway I went for my initial consultation and was shown around the weight equipment. I went through a whole circuit to see where the machines are set up, what my settings are and get my initial starting weights etc from the trainer.

I told him I'd be around in a few weeks and was going to do two workouts a week and more cardio if I had the time. But that I wasn't going to start right away due to the high volume of New Years Resolutioners that were milling about...I did the same thing when I was a Bally's member, I almost never went during the month of January unless I could go during the week day.

Well, I ran into the guy that gave me the orientation/initial consultation at the YMCA on New Years Day. He asked how my workouts have been going as he had not seen me there at all.

I told him, the New Years Resolution crowd should be about done, and now that there would be fewer people wasting time/cluttering up the machines, I would be in at least 2 times a week....

In the absence of working out at the Y I have been doing cardio and the Total Gym. Cardio 3 - 4 times a week and the total gym 2 times a week.

Lot's of time to work in around the hectic life schedule, but I am adamant about losing 10 pounds by my St Louis trip.....Just a little while to go, something like 11 days, 22 hours, 43minutes and 32...31....30....29 seconds, but who's counting.........

Last edited by ProfGumby : Sun, Feb-10-08 at 20:25.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 22:36

Ug..........

I feel like I bench pressed a BUS from the first workout.......and tomorrow I go and do it again. Well not exactly, tomorrow is abs and lower body. So Friday I get to feel like the bus backed up and made sure it got me.....

Oh well, no pain, no brain.....right?

Actually it is not as bad as all that. But with someone standing over you encouraging you to do more....well....they push you. Thankfully, this one I will be on my own.

I am still pondering a trainer full time to keep me going......I dunno though. My car is starting to be a money eating, rolling pile of junk......a car payment now would be most uncool and definitely take away from the trainer fund.....

Nite all...
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-08, 21:44

Howdy!

Well, Friday wasn't so bad...

I am gonna see about going tomorrow, after Church and put in some cardio time...I want to do so everyday this week up until Friday. Close to my goal to have lost 10 pounds, wanna make it....I leave Friday morning for St Louis......
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-08, 20:17

Default Worn out....

Wow.

I went to the Y yesterday, in the midst of a good ol fashioned heavy snow storm. So what does a guy from the Upper Peninsula do during a blizzard? Why he goes to work out then swimming with his kids!

Really all was well, the boys had a blast in the pool! They went in right away and I joined them after a workout.

Then home to shovel for 2 1/2 hours!

The this afternoon, at work, I had to shovel out the entrances to two warehouses!!! I have spent so much time behind a snowblower and swinging a shovel that I never want to see a snowflake again!

But it is all good, as snow shoveling is like weight lifting, strength training and cardio all in one!

Tonight though, a nice hot shower sounds like the ticket.......

Tomorrow night, more cardio and another upper body workout.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 01:37
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Ooooh well that answers my question in your Journal. You can ignore that one then ehehehe.

LOL well snow shovelling DOES give you a good workout You can't deny that. I bet you wake up the next morning feeling all sore too hehehe

e
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 22:08

Went and worked out tonight.....

15 min on the recumbent bike followed by upper body circuit machines, upped all weights by one plate tonight and instituted a staggered weight approach. ie: start at 75 lbs, do one set of 10 - move weight to 85 lbs, do one set of 10, drop weight to 65lbs do one set of 12.

Seems to be working out and I average the middle weight (or thereabouts) in the stack, but I don't seem to ache as much doing the lightest weights at the end of each machine session.....recommended to me by a long timer there and he has the build to backup the theory....

Then I did 25 minutes on the treadmill at a fair clip.....

Gonna hit the shower soon....

Later!
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-08, 00:47
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hey Prof,

Great work! Sounds like a great plan, the whole staggering thing. I've never heard of it before, but it makes good sense to keep your body adjusting to changes all the time. Was yesterday the first time you have tried this method?

e
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-08, 22:25

Okay, are you following me or am I following you?

I have done the staggered type workout weights off and on for a very long time. I think I read about it once, or an old trainer told me of it...I can't remember. I do it mostly to mix things up a bit and also gradually increase weights while building muscle. Like I said I have no science etc behind it.....but it keeps me from getting bored at the very least.

I am working out about once every 5 to 7 days. Basically go to the Y, do my weights and cardio...then when my muscles no longer feel tight or ache...I go do it again. I am doing cardio more often and am trying for at least every other day. I will get there......

I am going to go tomorrow after Church. I went last Sunday and was going to go Friday night, but my sis in law is here and we have been busy. She is leaving tomorrow at noon and I will be off to the Y to work out after that.

See ya!
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 21:05

Howdy!

Well, my body is once again craving the workout experience! I have also upped the weights across the board by putting the 2.5 pound weight on the peg to compliment my current weight settings. After 2 weeks or so of this, I will swap that out for the 5 lb weight. Then I will ratchet the whole thing up to the next weight level on all exercises and so on....

I am going about every 5 days or so and working my upper body. I have added lower back and abs to my routine. I go every 5 days or so and do the upper body and cardio, the other days I go and do the abs and back and cardio as well as calf raises. This separates upper and lower body and gives me an excuse to get i extra cardio workouts. I am now up to one of these every 3 days or so.

I am really enjoying my YMCA membership and do occasionally take in some pool time with my sons. Though I am getting the lap swimming bug, so my sons have to hurry up and learn how to swim so I can do this. The pool, rules are that non swimmer youths must have a parent present at all times....that means in the pool, with them. I don't mind,but would love to ad lap swimming for cardio and all the other benefits!

Also I have updated the status on my new bicycle(s) over yonder in my Journal....

Later!
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-08, 17:58

well, now that it almost a month since my last entry..........

I have missed the last 2 workouts(weight lifting) and I am going nutty! I am going tomorrow night so I will be back on an even keel soon.

But I have not missed them for foolish reasons. I have been putting in 60 + hour weeks and been really active helping the Scout Troop and Scout Pack my sons are in. Most recently we had a Goodwill Clothing Drive and yesterday was the pickup for that. Got a lot of exercise doing that.

Yesterday I also picked up my new City/Street bike. I got the Giant Sedona. I actually picked the bike up on Thursday, but it had a bad rear tire so the shop replaced it and I picked it up after the Goodwill Drive.

So where is this leading in my Exercise Journal? It is leading to a 5 mile shakedown ride yesterday. Then some minor tweaking to the bike's set up and a 7 1/2 mile ride today that included a trip to the Grocery Store for a few last minute things. 12 miles of riding in 2 days!

I plan to start riding to and from work this week too! Also, the Local Bike Shop is hosting Thursday Night Rides all season long and the first one is this coming week. They have 6 mile and 12 mile courses for the riders to use. My sons and I are going to ride as many of them as we can! Maybe even my DW may join us! Maybe...

Tomorrow night in my next weight lifting session so I am stoked! Gonna ride the bike to and from that as well!

Until next time!
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 20:53

Okay, missed my last scheduled workout too....I'm gettin pretty steamed about that...

But, the work load has slowed down. I will work out before the end of the day Saturday!

I am riding my bike just about every day to work and my son and I made a grocery run on Sunday with out bikes.

So all is not lost, and the cardio is where I need the most work anyway.