Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-06, 08:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%
Unhappy My annual 3 month update.....

Wow, it has been 3 months since I updated my Gym log....

I am back at the total gym on a more regular basis again. I was doing well with a few workouts a week. But over the last month or more I have been going at it more like 4 or 5 times a week.

I still stand by the early posts where I was working out everyday, sometimes 2x a day. But that pace is frantic and fast. And the thing about going really fast? When you have a mishap, it is a high speed train wreck instead of a flat tire...you know?

I am now going at it at a more moderate pace and shorter length of time. By keeping my workouts to 10 - 15 minutes I am able to fit them all in. If I miss a workout it is only because I was not home or chose not to work out. (read that - lazy) I am seeing good results and feeling great.

I am still sticking to the moderate workout chart I have posted. It is segmented into days 1&3 and 2&4 so you work specific muscle groups and not overwork any one group. I have also kept the level low to just help the weight loss and maintain muscle mass. One can also do cardio on the thing!

I am also looking at changing up the routine to keep it fresh. I am playing with segmenting the workout by muscle groups and over 4 days, or an every other day thing. I don't know though. I have this system now down pat and could probably perform it in my sleep!

Occasionally, my take on Vince Gironda's 10/10 workout is still performed. I can now do the full 10 reps of 10. That means I will up the resistance soon and start out doing as many reps of 10 as I can and slowly working back upto the full 10 of 10.

Also important to note, generally this workout is done on a Saturday Morning, then the rest of the weekend is workout free. If I do this any other day the rest of that day and the next are off days.

Gotta give this old body time to heal, I'm not 22 anymore....(in case you wonder, add 20 to that...)

My total Gym is now the only piece of fitness equipment I own. I'll never sell it, unless a new one replaces it. I am not replacing this one till I kill it..so far, it is indestructable! But I want a newer, nicer one.....

I had stopped using the Gazelle when walking and bike riding came back into my life. It sat there, in the corner all spring and summer. Then my co worker Bill told me his wife really wanted the 100 dollar model at the local store. I told him I had the 200 dollar model in my basement...we struck a deal..he got it for a song, and I got a little "mad money!"

So, ProfGumby's Mad Man Bargain basement Fitness Equipment Blowout Sale is done....

Don't get me wrong, the Gazelle is a good machine, and I would heartily reccomend it. But I got really bored with it, and my bike was calling me....

There is also another interesting developement involving the total Gym, but it is a little premature to talk about it right now...we'll see over the next few weeks if it profgresses or not....and if it does or not, I'll clue ya all in when there is really enough info to write.....

I am also going to join the local YMCA soon so I have a pool at my disposal for swimming laps all year round. They have quite the fitness room and weight room as well, and I intend to take full use of the statioary bikes there too! However the main reason to join up is mostly for the pool for laps and teaching my boys how to swim.

Well, this entry has wound itself down and it is workout time! So, off to the total Gym I go! (1&3workout today!)

Last edited by ProfGumby : Mon, Sep-11-06 at 09:35.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-06, 09:33

Default It's me again!

I'm back!

Well, last Month (August) I averaged a workout every other day.Not too shabby in my book, but I am shooting for better!

My goal for September is to have 20 days, minimum, with a workout in it. I am sticking to the 1&3 / 2&4 system and also doing a cardio workout of sorts. Total Gym has a few cardio type excercises, but I have also found that if you do certain things, as fast as you can without jumping the cables or creating slack, it is really a cardio workout.

I am also riding my bike and Mall walking on off (read that crappy weather) days.

Recent events in my weight loss plan have hampered my success in weight loss, but have not effected my workouts much. In fact, my desire to work out more has returned but I am not going to overdo any muscles or muscle groups. Going backwards is not good.

I am still debating getting a dumbell set for those weekends when I travel and a hotel exercise room is not available, or in working condition.

Otherwise, I am still plugging along.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 19:32

Well,

I went and upped the resistance level to the 4th setting yesterday and today. Such a simple change, such drastic effects....or should it be called an aftermath?

My triceps are threatening a revolt! And there is a general stiffness from todays exercise. (I didn't stretch enough). I know, pretty stupid move. But then at 42 do you think I'd have learned by know?

Don't hold your breath...

I did one set of 10 reps at 4 and one set of 10 at 3 following. I will continue this practice till it is all 4 all the time.

I am starting to see some real changes in my muscles....ie: I am actually able to see them emerging from their formerly mushy fat guy appearance....I am going to include a pic or two as an "early on" type deal starting from this point.

Being a hairy ape and a barrel chested one at that, it doesn't look like much right now, but I can see it. I may never have arms like Arnold had, but it is a damn shot better than looking like a hairy blob of silly putty!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 08:23

I'mmmm baaaaack!
Currently I am alternating between the 3rd and 4th setting. Some of the exercises at level 4 were killer. And I mean killer in that I pulled some muscles and had to bag off for 3 days.....

Anyway, as mentioned in my last post, I have a pic up showing some progress...
http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...54547#post54547

I am not totally thrilled with the way I look and maybe should have had a shirt on, but as they say, sometimes the naked truth is what's needed to motivate one's self....I hope my naked truth is not too offensive to your eyes...

Okay, not naked, but the phrase, "shirt off truth" or Topless truth" doesn't quite drive the point home...
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-06, 21:57

Default Hello, it's me...the central scruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutinizer!

Yup, I'm still here!

But with a fairly good report!

I am now solidly on level 4 with my whole routine! It is tough, but hey, no pain - no gain!

Which is drastically different from no pain - no brain!

One is increasing the resistance (or weight if you use machines or free weights) gradually so you feel a good burn at the end of your set. The other is overdoing it and not being able to move half your body due to too many sets or too much weight....or my common foible, not stretching!

I am getting better at all of it. I stretch regularly, take a day or two off if I push it and do pushups and cardio daily, unless I have to bag off due to the whole, no brain thing...

The good news (other than level 4) is I got in something like 17 days last month

I am shooting for 20 this month.

So other tha that, not much to report...gotta go do my push ups and hit the sack!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 08:44

Default Scooooooooooooore!

Last week I was driving along in my work van when I spotted two exercise machines by the side of the road. There was a sign on them, free! So I nabbed em both!

Both are by DP and both are in usable condition. Ya, I know DP is not exactly state of the art, but for free? One was a stationary bike that had some bubba backlyard mechanic repairs made to it and one was this eliptical meets stair climber type thing.

The bike was fixed up by me for about 8 dollars and works fine. It is a little awkward until you find just the right seat adjustment, but you still feel like you are reaching forward too much when you use the hand grips for the upper body work out.

The stair eliptcal thing is just plain awkward. The foot rests are cheap and flex so much you feel as if they are going to break and the range of motion must not have been intended for a human being.

So, I will use the bike through this winter to replace my regular bike. I don't ride in the snow, too dangerous. But this bike will do for now.

The other machine I have so when my boys come downstairs there are 2 open machines forthem to goof off on while I am either on the Total Gym or the bike. (Less fighting that way)

I am still on track to hit 20 sessions this month on my Total Gym, though I may miss that due to business traveling, but the hotel has a weight/exercise room and I always pack my dumbells and walking clothes, so I will do at least 20 days this month.

I have also added cardio with the stationary bike in the evening or right after my Total Gym. But I don't count that seperately if done at night, one day is one day, no matter if I do the bike or not.

I also have been pretty sporadic with my pushups, but generaly do manage 20 a day when I do em...

Gotta hit the shower and get to the darn J.O.B. (JOB stands for Just Over Broke)
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-06, 08:44

Default Flat tire!

I will miss my goal of 20 days, but not by much, I think 3 days.

I hurt my right tricep musscle and had to back off for a couple days, and I have been working a lot so time on the Stationary bike has suffered.

However, I am traveling this weekend and will have a good workout tomorrow morning before leaving and am taking my dumbbells with me, so I will have time to do two more at the hotel.

I am also really delving into making sure I am using proper form and not overdoing it on the Total Gym. I found out that I was really pushing it too hard and that is why the excessive strain on certain muscles.

No pain no brain again....

Live, learn, fail, learn more, forward, live, learn......the way of the world.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-06, 08:52

Default One week and counting

It as been about a week since I last worked out. Pulled a tricep muscle and was traveling, though I did take my dumbbells and work my biceps, shoulders and chest one day...

Back into the saddle tomorrow morning....

Last edited by ProfGumby : Fri, Nov-03-06 at 15:17.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-06, 22:04

I'm still standing!

Today I added a neat routine that I will do once a week.

It is a biceps blast called the 21's.

Basically you take a lightly weighted dumbbell or flat bar. Stand up like doing a standard bar curl. Raise the weight to your waist and pause a moment, then lower it back down, really take your time lowering it. Then repeat six more times. Now on the seventh time you get to your waist, pause and then raise the bar up to your chest, as if you are douing a regular curl. Pause and then slowly lower back to your waist, not all the way down. Do this again six times. Now on the seventh time back down to your waist, follow on through and go all the way down as if you finished a standard curl. The next seven times do a standard curl, but slowly up and very slowly down.

You will have it right when your arms are feeling the burn, but you are still able to complete all 3 reps of seven. This basically makes 3 exercises of 7 reps into one controlled exercise of 21 reps. Increase the weight as time goes by.

I can do this on my total gym from the lying on my back curls I already do. I am going to do the 21's once a week. I am also looking into a similar situation for my triceps...

But I tell you what, it has been about 12 hours and my biceps still feel that exercise!!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-06, 20:30

As a Steve Martin, SNL character used to say, "What the hell's that?"

The wheels came off.

I have only worked out a few times this month. But that is about to change again. I just had a very busy, hectic span of time where exercising was not a sensible option with my time.

But I have the SB working well enough, though the hand grips for the upper body are a little too far away to be used as comforatbly as some better made machines...

Sorry BP, this older stuff was low end, bargain machinery, and I wouldn't have bought it. But since it was free......

I still haven't signed the family up for a YMCA membership as time has been so short, and with year end, so has cash. And knowing full well the boys would not be going unless I took them.....

A Y membership is in the plans for mid spring....

I may also join a local place that has 24/7 access. It would bea membership for me, and I could go whenever I had the time...but then if I get the new total gym....I won't be needing that one.

I am strongly considering a new total gym. The one I have is a retail model and while a good machine, and being a machine that is holding up faily well to the frequent use I give it, Itis starting to get to the point where some parts will need replacing.

Don't get me wrong, the machine performs well, but it is several years old now and there are some issues that will require replacement parts in the next year or so...

Plus, and this is probably a real big part of the decision to replace the current one, the newer models are a wee bit better. And the higher end models blow this one away! A friend has one of the new XL's and it is sweeeet!

So, now I look at old faithful, and am getting the bug to upgrade. And a better padded glyde board would be nice.... (I know I can re pad the old one myself, but then it would not be a new one, would it?)

Recently when I went to Lansing for the weekend (see a post above) I used my dumbbells to work out. It was the first time I used free weights in years.

Man I miss that! There is just something muy macho about sweating it out and grunting under the weight of a bar and some steel plates....

I am probably going to add a free weight routine to my schedule just to keep things lively.

But then, I dunno....that may go the way of the local gym membership too...a good idea in theory...

Did I say I liked working out on my total gym? I am sure I have, but there I said it again. So, I will probably only drag out the dumbbells for when I travel as taking along the total gym is not always possible. I do take it when I go back home to Milwaukee for extended visits, but for overnighters...
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-06, 16:42

Jeez...

The schedule this month has really....well...let's just say I am embarrased to say how many times I have worked out.

I am sure it is just me, andmany people are happy with a schedule that I have kept...but it is no where near my target goal.

So, Plan, check, adjust...right?

I am starting induction tomorrow for 2 weeks and also getting right back on plan with my exercise routine.

I have to work tomorrow..ug...but I will have plenty of time to do my Total Gym workout and an easy hour riding the bike around town or a good half hour on the SB in case of foul weather.

It is kind of funny too, I have proved by example that it is extremely easy to slowly slip out of your routine. You miss one here, then one there, then a trip gets in the way. You oversleep once or twice and before you know it...

I tell you, as soon as I can afford it, I'm hiring a personal trainer or someone to come round and kick me square in the tush to keep me on track.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Dec-21-06, 23:03

Well December is pretty much in the crapper!

It is amazing how easy it is to slide out of a routine and then in no time at all there never seems to be enough time to fit a workout in.....

I am removing a lot of obstacles to my workout this month and going back into it full bore as soon as we retun from the Christmas visits...
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-26-06, 21:19

Back from a joyus Christmas trip, and a disasterous Christmas trip, WOE wise...

So, tomorrow morning, 1st thing, I hit the gym...

Back into the fray....
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-07, 09:23

Wow,

I keep forgetting I have this gym log and then I post when I do remember....

So, no exercise routines/results to post.

But that is mostly due to my hurting my back (again) about 2 weeks ago. No work out time for me when that happens. It happens fairly often too ( I have Spina Bifida) and when it is a good one like this I am generally down for 2 weeks or more.

So, as soon as this back of mine gets better, I will have something to post....
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 12:56

Hi peeps!

I am finally starting a workout routine again...will be posting here soon!