Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 09:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Tunkany, you're still consuming dairy though. Maybe it is the dairy? Can you give that up for a couple of weeks and see what happens?

Do you have DH? Was it biopsied? That's another way to get a celiac diagnosis.

I also get eczema, only very lightly nowadays, on my hands. I did have a flare-up after going GF but just before I went completely CF. Its pretty sporadic in me.

Eczema is an autoimmune disorder except you can have contact eczema, I think, which is more of an allergic response to something you touch. Are you using latex gloves? Lots of people get allergic to latex.

You might want to post about it on glutenfreeforum.com and see if anyone has recommendations or ideas.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 10:33

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

I only have skin issues, no Diarrhea. I wear PVC gloves, for dishwashing. I thought about latex, too a while ago. It's not contact allergy, as far as I know, I tried everything topically. Some foods seem to cause a flare-up. I do have nickel-allergy, but I'm already avoiding foods high in nickel: chocolate, legumes, nuts, oats. Maybe I should try to cut out coffee and tea, too? They are also in the medium-high nickel range. I hope it's not the casein. What am I gonna do if I can't have cheese and yogurt either? Probiotics don't do the trick without yogurt. How do you do it, Nancy? Besides the coconut yogurt.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 10:48

BF:

Oh sorry, you meant Dermatitis Herpetiformis. I have not had a biopsy, but I will look into it. I already made an appointment for my daughter who also has eczema, at an allergy-immunology place, hope they do it there. Hope the insurance covers most of it. I found the doctor on the insurance company's website. A biopsy is supposed to be sufficient to determinde DH wich is a manifestation of Celiac Disease. My daughter's Eczema is more symmetrical than mine and it is definitely affected by grains and milk. Mine is more of a mystery.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 11:35
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
How do you do it, Nancy? Besides the coconut yogurt.

I didn't know how I would get along without milk products either, but I'm doing just fine!

You can "yogurtify" almost anything. All you need is a medium to grow the culture in and some sugars for the culture to eat. That could be almond milk, cashews ground up with some water, veggies, fruit... whatever you can imagine. I think yogurtified cabbage is basically sourkraut.

DH and ezcema look entirely different. Have you seen pictures of DH? I think you can find them online.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 13:44

BF:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html
this website also has atopic dermatitis as a symptom of CD
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 11:25

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I have candida. confirmed by blood tests

this sucks.

wish me luck as i learn about yet a NEW type of intolerance.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 12:34

BF:

what were your symptoms?
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 13:09

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

brain fog, fatigue, inability to lose weight, fibromyalgia

apparently everything is connected... gluten intolerance and candida. also the bad diarhea and constipation i still attribute to gluten intolerance. other than that i really thought i didnt have candida. but, blood results cant be wrong! my doc, who is fantastic, ordered the tests based on hearing all my other symptoms.

who knows? maybe after i get rid of candida i won't have fibromyalgia? that would be a blessing as my damn back hurts all the time.

OH and can i just gripe again... IM ONLY 24!!!!! i hate feeling 900 years old. im young and shouldnt have these freaking problems.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 20:26
Experimenter

BF:

I just got a diagnosis of Akylosing Spondilitus from my Rhuemy. Add that to my growing list of bummers. :\
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 06:34

BF:

What is Akylosing Spondilitus?
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 06:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/218/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%

What Is Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a rheumatic disease that causes arthritis of the spine and sacroiliac joints and can cause inflammation of the eyes, lungs, and heart valves. It varies from intermittent episodes of back pain that occur throughout life to a severe chronic disease that attacks the spine, peripheral joints and other body organs, resulting in severe joint and back stiffness, loss of motion and deformity as life progresses.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 07:12

BF:

Thank you!
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 11:34
Experimenter

BF:

Anyway, boys and girls, if, as was posited in Dangerous Grains, untreated food intolerances can lead to a host of autoimmune conditions then this sort of thing should serve as an object lesson to those of you who are still young and relatively healthy. Don't be casual about food intolerances, don't ignore them. I just wish I had known 20 years ago!
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 02:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/200 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yeah, I have food intolerances, but they are REAL hard to pick up. I think maybe dairy, eggs. I also have autoimmune disease (hashimoto's) as a result of all of this, and a parasite infection. It's uncertain as to what came first. The parasites could have caused the leaky gut, or a sluggish liver could have caused the parasites, or the leaky gut could have cause gallstones, or the parasites could just have taken advantage of a weakened immune system. Who knows. I am going on pulse antibiotic therapy to kill the parasites. My doctor is quite a pro at this sort of treatment apparently and the only one who figured out the parasite link (everyone just told me I had Candida, but that wasn't my real problem, just a side-effect).

Anyway, I am curious about the SCD. I pretty much do the SCD already, by default, except no fruit. But I want to add fruit back in. I just don't understand why some things on the SCD are allowed, and some not. For example it really is possible for fruit to make it down to where bacteria can digest it, surely. And some legumes are allowed, but others not. And you can have ground flax, but should avoid FOS. I just don't understand all the choices. It does seem to have helped lots of people though.

Parasites, candida, gut and liver disorders (gallstones) are intimately linked and very often lead to either autoimmune disorders, or fibromylgia, arthritis etc. I seem to have the full set! But low carbing really helps like nothing else. I'm planning on starting to eat LOTS of sauerkraut and I'm hoping that'll help. Got no yoghurt starter, but I do have kefir grains. Can't tolerate kefir though! Except in small doses. Weird. I must try the coconut thing. Good luck to anyone else with gut problems. They SUCK!
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 07:26

BF:

well the allergy testing was a dissapointment... I took my 2-year-old daughter because she has eczema that seem to be affected with food. It gets worse when she eats grains and I suspect milk, too. Well she checked out negative for everything except for shellfish. They only test for allergies and don't care about food intolerance. My husband won't let me do an elimination diet for my toddler, so I'm never going to be able to figure out whether it's all in my head or not. I KNOW ceratin foods(grains for sure) make it worse, just like my eczema. I love the SCD but my family won't let me put my daughter on it.

As for why some beans are allowed and some are not, as well as other stuff, I trust Elaine Gotchall and Dr. Haas. She studied the chemical structure of different carbohydrates and their effect on the gut for 20 years. Some beans just have the wrong kind of carbs even after soaking. I think ground flax is illagal, too. FOS is indigestible by humans and feed the bad bugs, especially Kleibsella. You can find info on each of these foods on breakingtheviciouscycle.info under Knowledge base. Also, healingcrow.com has a section that deals with questions and Elaine's answers. You can learn a lot about chemistry and biology there and these sites will explain the "why" pretty well. And if not, sometimes it's just based on experience. Some foods are tolrated and some foods are not, so you gotta have faith in the "rules".