Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 12:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't think there's any real answer out there yet. Probably part is in might play into insulin issues. Part is that it seems to have a very strong addictive effect. When I ate wheat, I had a hard time putting the brakes on that sort of eating. Something like 30% of the people are overweight. Also, since gluten sensitivity is associated with thyroid diseases, it might also be triggering hypothyroid autoimmune disease in people.

Many people have 0 sx of anything, yet they'll have the intestinal damage, so yes. Others have neurological problems, others have lots of autoimmune diseases.

If you can, try to get tested by Enterolab.com. That and read "Dangerous Grains". That might put your denial to rest.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 12:27
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerchic
I was wondering about fructose. Because on Eade's PSMF plan, the shake mix calls for fructose specifically (BTW, I'm not on it). How does fructose differ from regular sugar? And why is it metabolized differently?

Fructose is a monosacchride and can be completely digested by you. Sucrose is a diasacchride and has to be broken up in the gut, feed the bacteria there. Some of which might be bad guys.

I can't describe the fructose metabolic pathway, I just know it doesn't cause much, if any, release of insulin.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 12:39

Plan: Moderate low-carb
Stats: 186/140/135 Female 5"5
BF:OnebigAB
Progress: 90%

Well I'm deffinitely purchasing "Dangerous Grains," Because this has been recommended to me so many times by other users, so there must be merit to it. Nothing like a good book to get the brain juices flowing. I'll look up Interolabs, and getting tested is going to depend on the cost. In the meanwhile, I am going to try the gluten-free diet, and do some food allergy testing. but damn, I really hate to give up the cream in my coffee, and if I do allergy testing, I will probably have to give up the coffee too.. But that's apart of discovery, sacrifice. I want to learn more about fructose though, maybe do some of my own research and post it here.

Thanks for the input, this is much appreciated.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 12:43

Plan: Moderate low-carb
Stats: 186/140/135 Female 5"5
BF:OnebigAB
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetheana
Oh and by the way, i find the same thing with me and semi-sweet chocolate. i dont get bloating or any problems like that, can lose weight the next day even eating a bunch of it and no blood sugar rollercoaster. right now, its my sweet of choice!

So cool. I know other people have problems with it, but for me, when I get that junk crave which is getting rarer with each passing day I'm low-carbing, it's a lifesaver.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 12:54
Experimenter

BF:

This might be a good thread for you to read, Aetheana:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/inde...topic=13856&hl=
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 14:56

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thanks nancy.

a bit on the scary side, but sobering.

i think the fact that my mom has so many problems is enough for me to say i have it without getting the positive blood tests... the enterolab is out of the question for right now due to money. maybe i'll still get the blood results from my doc, but again, i think im going to say i have it even without support of the blood tests.

thankfully ive been doing low carb off and on for ... 3ish years that no gluten shouldn't be too hard. yay for fruit! thats all i gotta say.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 15:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 355.6/323/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 16%

HI
I am over weight and celiac, its more commen the other way around, thats why it took so long to get a DX.
Yes you can be gluten sentsitive with little or no S+S.
I was told most chocolate has gluten in it.
Read this site, its very good
http://www.celiac.com/index.html
sandi
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 08:10

BF:

I had a really good gluten free weekend.

feeling pretty good today. though a little water retainy.

my vegetarian dear husband has decided he wants to watch his gluten intake as well. apparently after hearing all my issues he's been paying closer attention to what he eats and how he feels after eating certain things. he's finding he has an increase in flatulence after eating gluten. he also went low carb for awhile (basically he called it his all egg diet, it wasnt all eggs, but thats what he relied on for protein) and he lost 20 pounds. he hasnt been low carb since then, put all the weight back on, but i think he's giving gluten free a chance. the main problem is that a lot of the meatless meat-type products are chock full of gluten... textured vegetable protein is pure gluten. but man do those fake sausage patties taste good!

he might give up vegetarianism if he feels better on gluten free! he's vegetarian because he believes it isn't right to kill animals because animals can feel pain. i respect his decision to be veggie. he said he might just eat meat a couple times a week.

im so excited by this!
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 11:41

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Aetheana, I understand how your DH feels. Ideally, I'd like to be a vegetarian, but my body has never allowed it. I just get too hungry for meat right away, and weak without it. What really helped me is moving to this farming community and getting to know farmers. Good farmers want their animals to enjoy their lives and not even know they've died. You should hear the comments go around if someone butchering an animal causes suffering. So my suggestion is to find a local source for your meat. Go and personally meet the farmer and inspect the farm and animals, and then get a big freezer, because you'll be buying a whole or half cow at a time. Just don't name the animal you're going to eat, that's taking it a little too far. ~Gail
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 12:42

BF:

So...

I have been drinking milk and having no problem with that, using heavy cream, no problem with that, having some shredded cheese on eggs or taco meat (really only a little bit), no problem with that.

but i recently picked up an 8 oz block of cheddar, have been having like an ounce a day, and im starving even after i eat it... like just now i had ground meat with sour cream, broccoli, pears in jello, and a piece of cheese. i should be stuffed, but im wanting to eat more and more and more.

how does casein intolerance work again?
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 13:56
Experimenter

BF:

Same way as gluten intolerance basically. Although with me it tended to cause constipation rather than diarrhea, but actually I had both. There isn't much research on casein intolerance yet, I suppose you could have different symptoms from one another. Hmmm... don't really know!
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 16:43
Experimenter

BF:

These guys have a good talk show. Their show on Gluten Intolerance is very good: http://www.biohealthinfo.com/html/r...s/airwaves.html
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 07:17

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

I have a question.
Does anybody have food intolerances that manifest as eczema?
I have eczema on my hands. I have been LC-ing since December 2005. There is some improvement. When I started it was really bad, oozing sores and infections. However, the progress have stopped a few weeks ago. I still have itchy rashes that clear up in a few days but new eruptions, too.
I went on the SCD a few weeks ago (maybe 3) and have been eating the 24-hr yogurt. I still see no change. One of the forum members had success with SCD to get rid off their eczema in 2-3 weeks and it inspired me to try the SCD. The diet addresses gluten intol, lactose intol., candida and other bacterial, parazitical problems as it eliminates complex carbs except vegetables, fruits and honey. So no milk, no grains, no sugars are allowed plus you eat the proboitic yogurt. I also stay away from nuts because I know after eating nuts and chocolate/cocoa the rash gets worse.
before I started the SCD I was doing an Atkins-Candida combination, so I didn't eat honey and cheeses but it made no difference. I don't think I have a problem with cheese and casein in general. So I have no idea what else can be the problem. Any thoughts on this? Should I jsut wait a few more weeks? I know it's been only like 3 weeks on SCD but there should be SOME change, right?
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 07:53

BF:

Do you have any symptoms of die off? Any other problems you might be having appear to be getting better (brain fog, fatigue, etc?)

I dont know much about eczema, but I would think there would be a change by now if youre doing everything right and are being really careful to not get glutened by accident (ie reading labels and whatnot) and being careful of cross contamination. I know that dermatitis h... something or other is a gluten problem, but not sure on the eczema.

I hope it gets better!

As for me, OH MAN AM I STUPID! i gave in to dear husband yesterday and ate pizza. i had freaking gluten free pizza crusts in the freezer, but marks pizzeria was calling our names! I thought to myself, oh this cant be so bad, youve only been gluten free for a week and a half, dont worry about it, maybe you arent really gluten intolerant...

Holy Crappola! The D, the flatulance, the nausea!!! The three pound water weight gain! I STINK because of the gas!!! I STINK! Blech Blech Blech! it wasnt too bad yesterday, but today, with a vengance! Also, my eyes are running like madness and I've been sneezing. I know that is typical with allergies... do you think its typical for a wheat allergy? my coworker asked how i was doing and i said i had runny eyes and she asked if i was allergic to something. Really interesting i think!

Let that be a lesson to you all! every person is good for something, even if it is to be a bad example!

Last edited by Aetheana : Mon, Feb-27-06 at 08:27.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 08:27

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

I don't have any die-off right now. When I started LC-ing I had some: headache, fatigue, leg cramps and more rashes all over my neck and chest. I was taking garlic and was very low carb. That passed in about 2-3 weeks but my hands are the same.

Yes I know about dermatitis herpetiformis (one symptom of gluten intol.), it's supposed to be symmetrical on your body. My dermatitis is on 5 (2 on the left, 3 on the right) fingers only and not symmetrical. I use all natural soaps and detergents (Dr. Bronner and Trader Joes)

I don't have any gastric problems, no D, no constipation, no gas (thanks to LC), no vaginal yeast and my tongue is not really fuzzy and white, only in the back. So I can't say I have candida for sure. There are so many other microbes that can cause a problem, I think we're too quick to say candida overgrowth for everything.

I was thinking about parazites, too but I've been consuming a lot of coconut oil and garlic, I'm sure I would have seen something in the toilet.
So I think it's food intol...?

I'm clueless. Unfortunately I can't see a non-allopathic doctor for financial and family disbelief reasons.