Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 15:52
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I din't really have a breaking point, cause I dieted all my life what happened is that I tried Atkins at last and it worked ! that never happened to me before!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 17:29

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

It wasn't a number or a size for me either. I was sitting at my desk, fuzzy-minded, out of breath, tired, thinking "It's always this way", and realizing that it doesn't have to be.

Meg
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 15:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

245.....need I say more???
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 17:17
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

My "breaking point" took the form of many different weights. It was the excuses that I used for "not right now" that got me at my heaviest weight.

It was a lifestyle I was leading that was a breaking point.

Lisa
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-08, 00:54

Stats: 217/210/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 7%

For me it wasen't a size or weight. I just got sick and tired of being sick and tired. I had no energy, I couldn't wear what I wanted to wear, my skin kept breaking out, I was a mess. I had pain in my legs so bad I had to limp to the bathroom in the morning. I remember thinking, "If I look and feel like this at 26, how's it gonna be when I'm 40?" So I decided to make some changes. I got some great recipies and tips from this website called SugarFreeShelia.com and the rest is history.
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-08, 16:00
For Real This Time

Plan: SB (Sorta Beachy)
Stats: 272/260/165 Female 68 inches (5'8")
BF:
Progress: 11%

I've started and stopped "dieting" so many times before, it's not even funny.

But this time, it's different.

I wasn't motivated by a number on the scale or a clothing size, or even a bad photograph. This time around it's all about how I feel.

I've been carrying somewhere around 80-100 extra pounds for a long time now. But even though I knew I didn't look good, I still felt pretty healthy. I'm not athletic by any means, but I do a lot of walking on trips and outings with my family, and it has never bothered me. I could always keep up, and spend a whole day walking, without feeling any distress whatsoever.

Earlier this year, I stopped paying attention to my weight for a while, and quickly gained about 15 pounds over the summer. I didn't realize I had gained that much because my summer clothes are very "forgiving". But towards the end of the summer, I started to FEEL the extra weight. We went to the zoo and walked around all day - and for the first time I had a problem with it. My feet hurt. My knees hurt. I was getting winded more easily. I didn't like it. Next morning I stepped on the scale just to see if I had gained a few pounds, and lo and behold, the scale was reading 15 pounds heavier.

Between that, and seeing some horrible effects of diabetes in members of my family, I decided that I had to do something to get rid of all this extra weight once and for all.
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-08, 19:26

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

360+ pounds and developing my own gravitation field was a big motivator for me....

#68   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-08, 11:47

Plan: atkins, celiac
Stats: 302/190/130 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 65%

for me......it was when I stopped weighing myself at 280 and then realized I gained about 3 more dress sizes then I was like OMG....also I left an abusive relationship. My son's first day of school was my first day at the gym...
I'm now still working on my weight daily and I'm happily engaged :-D
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-08, 11:57

Stats: 260/181/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 66%

Mine was 260 pds. I just felt like I was sick of being in pain everyday. I am on my feet all day at work and I found it hard to do my job so it was certainly time...

Good luck everyone...
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-08, 18:40
Registered Member

Stats: 172/173/110 Female 5'1
BF:32.5
Progress: -2%

Years ago I had stopped weighing at 200 pounds. Some classmates told my daughter I had a huge behind. She just kind of said it but not meaning to be mean... it was a wakeup call. I went to 125 at the time and have raised up to 182.. the highest but oh how I would love to see 125 again!
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 01:24

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I would watch the scales steadily climb toward 300, with almost a sense of grim satisfaction. It didnt make sense, but it was almost as if I had to reach that "magic number" before I could ever attempt to face yet another diet that wouldnt work.

In the mean time, I was steadily gaining more and more physical ailments to go along with the escalating weight.

One night we were going out to dinner, and I couldnt find a single pair of shoes that my swollen feet would fit into. THAT was the breaking point for me.

I started researching.. and thank heavens I found Dr. Atkins and Low Carb. I'm down 51.5 lbs as of today. Dunno if I'll ever make goal or not, but this has sure been an improvement and I'll never stop trying to lose all this excess flab.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-09, 15:45

Stats: 290/243/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

For me it's been a few things; one of the big realizations was that my DH doesn't have to go along with my diet, he's responsible for his own health. (A long story).

I'm tired of sitting on airplanes for 10 hours in huge discomfort, with trays that won't come all the way down because of my stomach. I'm tired of feeling like crap. I'm tired of limping because of sore back...sore knees, etc. I want to wear shoes that aren't slip-on, I want to be able to try on lace-up runners in a store without risking toppling over like a damned weeble.

Voo, your first sentence about watching the scale go up was amazing to read....I did the same thing. It was weird, and I still don't quite understand why I felt that way. I lost about 50 lbs about a year and a half ago, and I'm shocked that I've only regained about 8. I've been lucky, because I've not been careful at all.

Now, at 50+, I have the feeling of running out of good luck. I've turned a corner mentally, time to smarten up. For good.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-09, 21:22
Registered Member

Plan: VLC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:
Progress: 55%

My husband told me that I would stop breathing at night. I knew I had developed sleep apnea. I'm a believer in changing what caused the problem, if possible. Sure wasn't about to sleep with some loud uncomfortable machine, not when I could do something about it. Also, I knew that an enlarged heart, among other things....domino effect..... would develop. There were other discouraging factors, too, but nothing more motivating than sleep apnea. I turned it around and haven't looked back.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-09, 22:46

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

"I'm tired of sitting on airplanes for 10 hours in huge discomfort, with trays that won't come all the way down because of my stomach. "

Ooh, that's a good one. I will be flying for the first time since I was 50 pounds heavier. Thanks for reminding me to look forward to the tray coming all the way down.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-09, 23:37
Registered Member

Stats: 188/145/145 Female 60in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

In 2003 I started Atkins and lost over 40lbs. Little by little I gained it all back. I just got tired of having to watch everything I eat even though I'd said I'd never be that big again. Stupid.
This past June I attended a church camp with my kids and I was miserable. It was so hot and there was no A/C. I saw pics of myself there and I was just disgusted at what I had done to myself. I'd really like to go back this year but I told my SIL that if I didn't lose about 50lbs I wouldn't go back again. I started Atkins again in Aug. and so far I have lost around 33 lbs. I feel so much better and I fully intend to keep it up and go back to camp in June.