Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 00:33
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen4621
1) Can I use my CKD keto phase parameters while lifting, but WITHOUT doing the weekly carb-ups? They're currently set at 122 g prot/88 g fat/20 g carbs per day (based on 10 cals/lb/day) or should I increase my carbs? (I tried doing a CKD but, unfortunately, I just cannot handle doing the lowfat thing, even for ONE day! I'm not a "Wendy Whiner", but )

Use 'em if you like 'em. Personally, I like about 65% of cals from fats, about 40 g carb, the rest from protein, and a pre-lifting "treat" - dextrose candies, half a banana, small orange, <coughdoughutcough>, but you may choose to leave this off until you are REALLY pushing on the lifting, and have plateaued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen4621
2) Could someone take a look at my current workout plan...any tips/suggestions? I'm following Joyce Vedral's "Weight Training Made Easy" (just starting it this week after "floundering" around w/ several other routines of my own making for the past month ) w/ the following schedule:

Mon: Upper (flat press, incline press, incline flye, cross-bench pullover, side lat raise, front lat raise, alternating shoulder press, bent lat raise, alternating curls, simultaneous curls, alternating hammer curl, concentration curl, overhead press, triceps kickback, one-arm overhead extension, cross-face extension, upright row, one-arm DB row, double-arm reverse row, & seated back lateral row)

Tues: Squat, side leg lift, leg curl, reverse lunge (bad knees), standing butt squeeze, standing back-leg extension, straight-leg kickup, bent-knee kickup, concentrated butt lift, crunch, ceiling lift, knee-raised crunch, seated straight-toe raise, seated angled-out-toe raise, standing straight-toe raise, and standing angled-in-toe raise)

Wed: Treadmill w/ HIIT for 20 min, every other week

Thurs: Repeat of Mon

Fri: Repeat of Tues

Sat: Treadmill w/ HIIT for 20 min

Sun: Off

I'm "re-starting" w/ 5# wts for the upper body...should I go heavier for lower body (I've already done squats w/ 15# wts before)? I just purchased an incline/decline/flat bench but am looking into a home gym set-up (when the budget allows).

I apologize for this being such a long post, but I really want to make sure I'm heading in the RIGHT direction! Thanks in advance for any advice/tips/suggestions!

Ellen

Okay, it looks to me like you're doing too many things, with too little weight.
I don't like side leg-lifts at all, because I don't want to build WIDTH in my legs - I want to build DEPTH. So I stick to direct quad and hamstring work.

If you're doing upper all in one day, why not just do two exercises at 3 sets of 8 per muscle group.

IE break it up into

Shoulders: side lat raise, military press (NOT alternating)
Chest: flat flyes, incline press
Triceps:Kickbacks, skull crushers
Biceps: seated alternating curls, standing barbell curls
Back: one-arm DB row (mid), seated back lateral row (sides-lats), shrugs (upper back-traps)

Do your shoulders first, when you've got the most energy and have a better chance of sticking to form. Shoulders are prone to injury, and you risk less injury this way.

Now, legs, the only stuff I recognize is:

squat (these are GREAT - I go ass to the grass)

reverse lunge (bad knees) these are fine for quads. Maybe don't alternate - do 8 on one side, then switch. Little easier on the knees:

Maybe do the quads first, then the hamstrings.

How about deadlifts for your hamstrings?

I like to start with the dumbbells on the floor, immediately over my feet. This prevents your back from being involved, and focuses the movement onto the hamstring. Stick your butt OUT when you do these. NOT the time for a pelvic tilt.
leg curl - this would be excellent after deadlifts, since the muscles have been stretched, and can now be pumped up with the curls.

Lift heavier with the squats if you can. It is reasonable to EVENTUALLY be able to squat with your weight, or near it, on a bar resting on the back of your neck doing these. Yes, I can squat the bar with a plate a side. But it took me over a year to get there. Go slow.

As for your other weights, play it by ear. If you can do 3 sets of 8 and not feel it the next day, increment slightly the next time you lift, drop it down to 3 sets of 6. Work it back up to 3 sets of 8, and repeat.

I AM NOT A TRAINER, okay? These are just my suggestions.

Have fun

- Built
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 09:26

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
Use 'em if you like 'em. Personally, I like about 65% of cals from fats, about 40 g carb, the rest from protein, and a pre-lifting "treat" - dextrose candies, half a banana, small orange, <coughdoughutcough>, but you may choose to leave this off until you are REALLY pushing on the lifting, and have plateaued.

Thanks, Built! I'll be doing some "tweaking" of my parameters and figure out what will work for me....just as long as I don't have to choke down (literally) any more LF garbage! *shudder*

Quote:
Okay, it looks to me like you're doing too many things, with too little weight.
I don't like side leg-lifts at all, because I don't want to build WIDTH in my legs - I want to build DEPTH. So I stick to direct quad and hamstring work.

I forgot to mention that these were all done as 3 sets of 10. I'm "restarting" w/ the lower wts right now but know I can bump them up quickly 'cuz I was already doing Arnie presses (3 sets of 8) w/ 10# - and "dying" by the end of the 3rd set! But, yeah, took me an hour to do all those upper body moves....will DEFINITELY be paring that down quite a bit!

As for the "side leg-lifts", these are for the INNER thighs only, not the standard-what-we-all-learned-back-in-gym-class ones. Sorry for the confusion on that one.

And, yes, I AM having fun w/ this!

Thanks for your help/tips/suggestions!

Ellen

Last edited by ellen4621 : Tue, May-25-04 at 09:27. Reason: typo!
  #93   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 13:54
Registered Member

BF:

I haven't found I ever got all that much out of inner thigh stuff - and again, I don't want to develop width there, so I don't do the outer or inner sides (recall that spot reduction is a myth).

If you do your squats wide and deep, you'll find you'll feel it in your inner thigh the next day anyway. But if you like 'em, do 'em. Every body is set up differently - you might get more out of them than I do.

Cheers!

- Built
  #94   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 21:59

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

Quote:
If you do your squats wide and deep, you'll find you'll feel it in your inner thigh the next day anyway. - Built

WhooHoo! One LESS move/exercise is okay by me...especially regarding the 'ol time factor!

Thanks!

Ellen
  #95   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 23:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 277/258/200 Male 76
BF:27%/25%/18%
Progress: 25%

nice usefull information
  #96   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 05:00

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
If you do your squats wide and deep, you'll find you'll feel it in your inner thigh the next day anyway.

Ohhhhhhhh yeah you will. More than you've felt anything from the abductor/adductor machines.

Good post Built.
  #97   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:34
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainerdan
Ohhhhhhhh yeah you will. More than you've felt anything from the abductor/adductor machines.

Good post Built.

Thanks Dan.

I always figured I must not be doing the abductor/adductor thing right - it never seemed to do anything but give me a weird pain in the inside of my hip.

Deep squats are the bomb, though - I do 'em wide and narrow, regular and split - hits different insertions and makes for one HECK of a leg-day.
  #98   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:44

I like narrow and parallel stance on the smith machine ... after I have bombed them on regular squats.

It's all about the Glutes baby!!
  #99   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:57
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Just while we're talking about squats I'll but in

I've just started doing squats (well I used to do them years ago when I was like 16 trying to work out in my bedroom )

The one "fear" that I have is failure during squats.... I'm doing BFL lifting so I do like 5 sets of squats then something else, normally leg extensions because that's a safe fail exercise if you know what I mean.

When I was doing my 5th set the other day, I got to 9 out of the 12 I was supposed to do and I knew I wasn't 100% sure I could make it back up another time.... I think I could but I fear the failure!

Anyone got any pointers on graceful ways to rectify things if you really do fail on squats?

I use a squat rack at the gym that has a sort of ledge either side, which I guess is so that if you fail you can sort of lean forward and let the bar fall onto that, but wouldn't really like to try it and I'm just trying to think exactly how you'd do it as I normally go down as far as possible and I'm still a good few inches higher than that....
  #100   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 10:11

Use a spotter.

Or a Smith Machine (if you have to) ... that way when you fail, ou just flip your bar and lock in.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 10:16
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Squats just aren't really natural on Smith machine, though, as bar doesn't really travel straight up and down in regular squats, does it?

Anyway, I've had to dump the bar in squat rack before and isn't that bad. Maybe you should practice doing that just a bit with some light weights so you'll have a handle on it when you're going heavy and fail.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 10:47

No, I don't like Smith squats ... but the subject was safety.

Using a spotter is a must. Borrow someone if you don't have a workout partner. It's a common gym courtesy.

"Yo, could you spot me real quick? I'm going for 6."
  #103   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 10:53
Southern Gentleman

Hey Dan, never spotted/been spotted doing squats, how do you? Do you just pull up on bar from behind just enough so the person can get it up?
  #104   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 10:57

Nope. Bear hug style is the right way ... never from the bar. Spot from the waist on squats.

You will see people spotting from the bar though. That's not the right way.

When asked to spot on squats, I do ask "from the bar or the body?" ... You can see why some people might not be comfortable with a "close spot" on squats.

Last edited by Trainerdan : Wed, May-26-04 at 11:04.
  #105   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 11:01
Southern Gentleman

Thanks, may start asking as really don't like dumping the bar, besides takes too much time to unload weight, raise bar and re-load weight!