Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 16:51
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 195/131/120
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Horseback riding

TrainerDan:
I'm just restarting this exercise thing after being on, off, on, off. A question - we have a horse ranch. I don't have time to ride often (maybe 2x a week, 45 mins at a time). How does this qualify? It's definately not cardio (I wouldn't think). I am working to incorporate weight resistance and cardio into my lifestyle, but I HAVE to ride for the health of the horses. Is this doing me any good????

Please, please say yes, and that I need to ride more often. Unfortunately, I don't "feel" like it's doing me much good. My rear gets sore from the saddle, but not much else does!!

Thanx, Anna
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 18:40

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default hmmm

In all honesty, I can't see how riding an animal would qualify as cardiovascular work ... but then again, I am not one to ride horses (I am too heavy to ride my parent's horses )
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 18:44

Default tried ...

I tried looking up the calorie burn for horse riding .... found nothing.

However, horse grooming at your weight will burn 100 calories per 20 mins.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 12:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 115/110/105
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Beginner

I just started the low carb diet/exercising thing this week. I am not overweight, I just need to tone and eat healthier.

My husband is helping me get started, but I wanted to get some opinions as to whether my regime will work.

20 minutes of cardio three times a week (alternating days)

Weight training six days a week, except working different muscles each day. For example, I'll work chest and Triceps on Monday, biceps on Tuesday and legs and abs on Wednesday, then repeat. Right now, I'm doing three sets of ten reps. I also do 10 minutes of some type of cardio before doing weights. It doesn't seem as high impact when you alternate the muscles you work. It seems to give my muscles time to heal.

I welcome any comments!!
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 12:03

Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default DAN

I know there are varied opinions on this subject posted in this thread. I am going with the cardio/weights on the same day as it is not possible for me to go to the gym 6 days a week {e.g. BFL routine}.

Anyway Dan.... do you think that 20 mins hard cardio is a good amount BEFORE doing weights?

Also, do you think that UBWO day 1, LBWO day 3, and Upper & LBWO day 5 is a good idea? {combined with 20 mins cardio} Thats what the instructior at the gym I go to has suggested. I want to build muscle, but fat loss is my first goal.

No doubt I would also do bike rides {with the kids} and walking so its not like I would be sitting around on days 2,4, 6 & 7. In the past I have only done cardio.... aerobics, step, cross trainer, treadmill etc etc for hours on end!! So I am enjoying doing the weights as a change of pace

Akiwican
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 22:47

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
As long as you take in sufficient protein (at least 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per day, per lb. of bodyweight that you have), and take in protein every 2 - 3 hours

Hi there Trainerdan.....

I've been doing some research on protein quantities and wondered if you can point me to any resources that mention the 1-1.5g/pound? Are there any studies or research papers that you know of on the net?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Marlaine
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 11:27

Plan: Basic low carb, modified body rx
Stats: 198.5/165/155
BF:?/25%/20%
Progress: 77%
Default Re: Horseback riding

Quote:
Originally posted by momsbroke1
TrainerDan:
I'm just restarting this exercise thing after being on, off, on, off. A question - we have a horse ranch. I don't have time to ride often (maybe 2x a week, 45 mins at a time). How does this qualify? It's definately not cardio (I wouldn't think). I am working to incorporate weight resistance and cardio into my lifestyle, but I HAVE to ride for the health of the horses. Is this doing me any good????

Please, please say yes, and that I need to ride more often. Unfortunately, I don't "feel" like it's doing me much good. My rear gets sore from the saddle, but not much else does!!

Thanx, Anna

Anna-
You probably wont get cardio from horseback but speaking from experience with my own 4 critters If you ride bareback and use your legs continuosly you will have great thighs and legs. It really helps tone those inner thighs.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 17:32

Default references

Quote:
I've been doing some research on protein quantities and wondered if you can point me to any resources that mention the 1-1.5g/pound? Are there any studies or research papers that you know of on the net?

References

Nelson ME, Fisher EC, Catsos P, et al: Diet and bone status in amenorrheic runners. Am J Clin Nutr 1986;43(6): 910-916

Lemon PW, Tarnopolsky MA, MacDougall JD, et al: Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders. J Appl Physiol 1992;73(2):767-775

Lemon PW, Mullin JP: Effect of initial muscle glycogen levels on protein catabolism during exercise. J Appl Physiol 1980;48(4):624-629

Anderson JW, Johnstone BM, Cook-Newell ME: Meta-analysis of the effects of soy protein intake on serum lipids. New Engl J Med 1995;333(5): 276-282

Mäkelä S, Poutanen M, Lehtimäki J, et al: Estrogen-specific 17beta-hydroxysteroid oxidoreductase type 1 as a possible target for the action of phytoestrogens. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1995;208:51-57

And ... here is some info taken from Nancy Clark's guide to sports nutrition ...

RDA for sedentary adult:0.4 grams of protein per lb. BW/day

Adult recreational exerciser: 0.5-0.75 grams of protein per lb. BW/day

Adult competitive athlete: 0.6-0.9 grams of protein per lb. BW/day

Adult building muscle mass: 0.7-0.9 grams of protein per lb. BW/day

Dieting athlete: 0.7-1.0 grams of protein per lb. BW/day

Growing teenage athlete: 0.9-1.0 grams of protein per lb. BW/day

Again, as I said before, I like to go high on the scale and go closer to 1.0 - 1.5 grams, especially when I am on LC/CKD since some of the aminos are being used for fuel.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-02, 15:13

Plan: Atkins Now/ Candidias Control 2003
Stats: 210/203/140
BF:47%
Progress: 10%
Default Explain please

Hi TrainerDan, thanks for your encouragement. I need all I can get since I am just starting to exercise. My question to you is.... what is a "Chest Press" "Barbell Squat" "Seated Row" etc etc.

I do not have access to a gym ( I have my own equipment that was used and came without instructions) I live in the sticks, so I don't have any trainers available..just you!

I have just ordered your book, does it have that kind of information in it?

I definately would like to know how to do these exercises, I need to go beyond the treadmill as that just does my legs (I am guessing) So some help would totally be appreciated.

Thanks, you are an inspiration!!
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 11:06

Plan: ckd
Stats: 182/163/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Question new to this

Ok well this is only my second post...I am trying to stay on track between school and work i do not have much time...i would like to go the gym more, we'll see..anyway my questions are this
1. should i wait to start lifting weights if i am trying to lose weight...if so how do i start
2.should you work out with a headache, yesterday i went on he elliptical and within 5minutes i was so sick..i went and worked on weight machines and came back and was fine.
sorry so long
thanks
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 13:07

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Default Re: Explain please

Quote:
Originally posted by alice 2002
My question to you is.... what is a "Chest Press" "Barbell Squat" "Seated Row" etc etc.

Hey Alice!
Here is a website that gives you lots of information on these exercises and more:
Exercises
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 21:11

Plan: ckd
Stats: 182/163/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Talking help help

please please help i am so lost w/ lifting, i do not want "muscles" just nice arms...new to this whole thing!!!!

Lee
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 00:21
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I've met some of those people that frequent gyms and they are some of the most self-absorbed people I've ever met. I'm not stereotyping anyone, I just prefer to skip that scene, at least for the time being.

Hey, it's not easy look good. Who you gonna love?
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 13:01

Stats: 226/210/195
BF:
Default Got a question on my routine...

I've got a question about my routine...I was wondering if it's too much and if it sounds like it would be effective for weight loss and for developing a fit and tight body.

I lift weigts M-W-F at lunchtime. I'm focusing more on my chest than other parts, so I do two different chest exercises using dumbells, doing 3 sets with each exercise, then I do another chest exercise using one of the machines, I also to 3 sets, from there I use one of the machines where you rotate the weights and do curls and I do 5 sets of that, and then another 5 sets on a machine for the triceps. With each exercise, I try to do the same number of reps for each exercise 15-12-8.

The weight lifting I do at lunchtime, then in the evenings on M-T-W-Th I take a martial arts class, 2 hours a night on M-W and 1 hour a night on T-Th. The first hour of the M-W class is fairly intensive, particularly on the legs, but since I don't work the legs while lifting I figure it's okay. The T-Th class is also fairly intensive, but more so on the arms via throwing a lot of punches. One thing I was wondering was if muscles are getting the proper rest inbetween lifting days when I'm doing all those punches in the T-Th martial arts class.

Thanx for your input.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 15:19

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Dan,

Are you serious, 1 gram of protein for every pound ? That's about 455 grams for me ! Seriously ? Someone pinch me, lol

Cheers,
Lux