Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 16:17
~strange as angels~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

Don't most fast food places sell bottles of water nowadays? Or is that just in the utopian bubble of Northern California?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 21:22
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_guy
Another thing that I thought was funny about the movie. Notice the guy who was addicted to, I believe, big macs. He went in all of the time and ate a sandwich. He didn't get the drinks or the fries but he would go in and constantly get a burger. That guy seemed to one of the thinest people in the entire movie. Made you wonder if the fries and the soda were worse than the burgers.

I agree fries and soda are much worse than big macs, if for no other reason than big macs offer satiation and some nutrition (meat) whereas soda and fries typically do not. But I doubt it had much to do with the mans thinness. Didn't he like walk a long distance to get the big mac or something like that?

BTW that's how subway's jarred lost his weight. He only ate sandwiches, sure... but he walked a LOT to get to the subway to buy them. Obesity would vanish overnight if people started walking to the restaurants far away every time they had a craving.

I am against exercise because in my opinion exercise is like dieting - almost no one keeps the routine for life. They dont keep it because it's unnatural and unpleasant.
On the other hand, making a conscious choice to unconsciously be more active in your life IS sustainable and permanent. Walking everywhere is one of those things like using sugar substitutes & drinking DC: it's a no brainer easy way to permanently change your lifestyle that will yeild amazing results for your weight. I credit walking for a lot of my weight (and metabolic control). When I stopped my walks it got much more difficult to control weight and I was hungrier more often (sign of worse sugar control as far as I'm concerned). Wear a pedometer one day and you really see how even short trips (a couple of blocks and back) add a lot of activity - and improve energy out/metabolic functioning - to your day. We focus a lot on carbs, but activity is just as important for keeping away the insulin resistance problems.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 02:19
Registered Member

Plan: protein powerhouse!
Stats: 326/310/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust
Don't most fast food places sell bottles of water nowadays? Or is that just in the utopian bubble of Northern California?

Yeah, I thought the same thing while I was watching this movie. they have them here in new jersey!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 02:22

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

I saw the movie; yet who could eat at McDonalds for every meal, one a day would even be too much, even if I got it for free, lol
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 10:40
BIG Loser

Plan: IF - Jason Fung
Stats: 260/253/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
mrstmitch, great analysis - thanks. I haven't seen the film, I should watch it sometime.

Note that several people have done rebuttal experiments:

There are links for all these on the Wikipedia page I linked to if you want to read more about 'em.

I agree - an LC-Size-Me! rebuttal would be great.

Thanks for this info and link, ysabella~~ interesting!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 11:40

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

From the Wiki link, I saw this -

http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/1599380/

#22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low

Quote:
time, however, I found myself arguing with the 'expert' opinions of why Spurlock's bloodwork numbers were out of control. They blamed saturated fat, while I was thinking it was the sugary soda, shakes, desserts, white buns and fries.

Read this article I posted here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=282111

Saturated fat is evil
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 10:33

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 195/185/140 Female 5'3"
BF:Well-marbled
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisbabe
From the Wiki link, I saw this -
http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/1599380/

ROFLMAO
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 11:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/129.5/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 101%

When I first saw this movie, I was also doing some on-line research for foie gras. Foie gras is fattened duck or goose liver. What they do is force feed ducks and geese large amounts of calories and the livers become enlarged (and very unhealthy for the ducks!).

I think this guy's health problems may have just come from the enormous amounts of calories he was eating, along with, as Woo said, lack of any exercise. Of course the unhealthy combination of sugars, carbs, and frankly, the nasty old oil they use to fry with at McD's just made things worse, but I wonder if in the end, he just ate too much for his body to handle.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 11:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/140/125 Female 5 ft 1 in
BF:41%/33.2%/20
Progress: 75%

I really dont think Supersize me is a push for vegetarian becuase he ate his gf food for his detox period and then he went back to eating meat. HE was never vegan as his gf was. he tried tho.
By the way I spoke on the phone with his girlfriend last year and asked her soem questions. It was interesting talking with her for sure-which is how I know he went back to eating meat.

Supersize me is what caused me to open my eyes to myself-in all seriousness I :bow: before it *lol*
That movie is what triggered me to begin excercising...whihc I began seeing that my weight woudl not come off jsut excrcising and cutting out all the meals on the road.
I saw a picture of andreabash and she told me about lo carb and about this forum.

I was opposed to lo carb for years becuase I beleived in the grains as a foundation type of diet...I still struggle getting past that, really.
But I am so greatful for the encouragement and the direction I have received here and the weight loss adn health benefits I have recieved since lo carbing.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-06, 08:38

Stats: 260/255/195 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Not all fast food makes you fat!

I spent 4 months doing Atkins last year and my menu started each day with 2x's sausage and egg McMuffins, without the Muffin.

About 4 times a week I also ate at Macs for either lunch or dinner. I had a couple of quarters with cheese or a Big Tasty (UK product I think), hold the bun, tomato and/or sugary sauce. I substituted fries for a side salad with no dressing and drank diet cola.

I lost 40lbs!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 04:42
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low

thats a good way to go about unhealthy weight loss =/
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 04:59

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobalbob
Not all fast food makes you fat!

I spent 4 months doing Atkins last year and my menu started each day with 2x's sausage and egg McMuffins, without the Muffin.

About 4 times a week I also ate at Macs for either lunch or dinner. I had a couple of quarters with cheese or a Big Tasty (UK product I think), hold the bun, tomato and/or sugary sauce. I substituted fries for a side salad with no dressing and drank diet cola.

I lost 40lbs!

awesome, you should write a low carb undersize me movie

that is cool though, wow............now I'm hungry again
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 08:45

Stats: 260/255/195 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
thats a good way to go about unhealthy weight loss =/

If that was in reference to my post then that is such a naive comment.

If you look at the nutritional content of Mcdonalds 'meat' products, rather than their sugary buns, sauces and drinks, you will find they are exactly the same as eating a good rural steak.

Before I started eating these products I checked with McDonalds by calling their information line and asked to see a full ingredient list and 'chill chain' report for their products. I discussed in detail with the person the exact content of their burger patties. I do not know it this is different here in the UK from the USA, but they contain no preservatives, flavourings, colours or fillers. They do have a small sprinkle of salt whilst cooking, which could be bad if you eat too much salt. The meat is taken from lean 'flank' of the animal and is minced and frozen within 15 minutes without any additional salt or water filler. This is a lot healthier than most of the meat you find in a supermarket which has been farmed in excatly the same way as McDonalds meet but is then injected with up to 30% water and food dye's to make it glow red under the lights of supermarket chillers - believe me I know as I used to be in the industry.

I do agree that it is the sauces, buns, drinks and fries you need to stay well clear of in McDonalds as these contain obscene levels of refined carbs and do not resemble any real 'foodstuff' what so ever.

/rant

Last edited by blobalbob : Thu, Feb-02-06 at 08:51.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 09:32
BIG Loser

Plan: IF - Jason Fung
Stats: 260/253/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hey, Bob! Good show!

Your experience is proof that the low carb WOE is the way to go! I'd be willing to bet that your cholesterol blood count went down in addition to your weight!