Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 10:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%

Quote:
On's Double Rich Chocolate" instantized whey protein blended with heavy cream, ice and a shot of sugar free Kahlua syrup. Tastes just like a Mudslide! And with approximately 3g of carbs and 23g of protein, sheesh! How do you go wrong? __________________

Oh man I am all over that! I have the Carmel Chocolate do you think it would be good with that?

Saturday I put the Whey in my coffee he he, and added sugar free french vanilla is was sooooo good it was the cream did not add much flavor just some creamyness and a little more sweetness!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 14:49
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

Jig - you obviously are a pro with 90 pounds gone! Great!! I think it's a good idea for a shake fast to jump start you. Why not? I've had these shakes, Atkins, EAS, Slim Fast Low Carb and I really think the Slim Fast low carb is the best!! Do what's right for you.....I'd love to know your results if you do it! I've been stalled for quite a while now and have just added in some exercise (as of 2 days ago It's very frustrating. Seems as though we have many "experts" around here and sometimes I find some of their responses a little, well, insulting.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 15:59

Plan: Aspiring Paleo
Stats: 144/136/127 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I have never tried any of the shakes or fasting with them, but I wish you good luck. Maybe you can be our guniea pig? If you try it, let us know how it works!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 10:25

Stats: 177/162/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 56%

Would love to hear your results?
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 11:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179/158/148 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Okay, Jiggy. Sorry if I sounded abrupt. You're obviously an experienced low-carber, not some nutcase looking for a shortcut.

I haven't tried a Shake fast, but I could imagine it for three or four days to, as you say, shake things up.

My stall-breaker when I re-upped on Atkins a year ago was fiber. I added at least 20 gms/day, usually in the form of ground flaxseed mixed with wheat bran in a breakfast cereal. I still try to get at least that much fiber into my daily menu, and I swear by it.

Best wishes. Let us know what you decide to do.

how did u make this cereal? i could do with some help in the fibre department..
thanks
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 11:31

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nille
If you don't mind me asking, - why do you want to do a shake fast ?? I mean, they don't even taste good.........

Well said!!!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 11:52
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Jiggy last year my friend did a religious fast for a whole month. She drank several of the shakes throughout the day per hunger and then had a tuna or chicken salad. She lost a noticeable amount of weight. She gained it all back pretty fast when she went back to regular LC.

I'm curious how this will go for you. The atkins shakes make me gain weight, to me they are very sweet and I tend to be hungrier when I have them. The protein shakes mixes don't do that to me. I would think eating meat and egg would get a faster result since they are not sweet at all, but everyones body is different.

Maybe your body is taking a rest after losing such a large amount of weight?
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 12:34

Plan: Atkins, M&E
Stats: 297/289/199 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Have you ever tried the fat fast that Atkins recomends in his book? I used it once, after I had tried cutting out dairy, caffeine, sweeteners, etc to break a stall. The fat fast is hard to stick with but it did get a few pounds off and get me on track. Its also what taught me that I need to watch my calories.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 12:34

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

I had a freind who lost a boatload of weight over a year on a doctor monitored liquid diet. she gained all of it back-and thensome. really sad stuff. Not recommended.

When I need to shake stuff up, I ADD in carbs. Have some more veggies. I think when your bod slows down it thinks its starving.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 23:17

Plan: Ketogenic/85-90%Carnivore
Stats: 298/206/168 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna I.
Have you ever tried the fat fast that Atkins recomends in his book? I used it once, after I had tried cutting out dairy, caffeine, sweeteners, etc to break a stall. The fat fast is hard to stick with but it did get a few pounds off and get me on track. Its also what taught me that I need to watch my calories.

I have tossed this idea around a bit.
I have done meat & egg a few times with small results.
I just might come up with a modified short term plan to test this shake thing out. I will let you know what I decide and follow through with the tracking for you guys.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 05:37
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScareBuff
but use "On's Double Rich Chocolate" instantized whey protein blended with heavy cream, ice and a shot of sugar free Kahlua syrup.

Wow! Sugar-free Kahlua Syrup exists???? I'm going to have to find someone that'll post to Australia! I LOVE Kahlua!!

e
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 08:25

Stats: 385/338/225 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have a bunch of the premade ones because they were given to my wife for free, and I like the strawberry powder mix as well. I use the strawberry mix with heavy cream for a carb friendly desert.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 06:57

BF:

I really do enjoy the taste of the Atkins premade shakes. I don't care for the dry mixes. The premade ones are a little pricey though.
I read on the back of the can that it has 20g of protein thats more than the Designer Whey brand with only 18g per serving.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 09:23
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I like making my own shakes. Cheaper, and you know exactly what's in them. I use coconut milk as a base instead of any dairy. I use pure almond butter for protein/fat. I've even added ground flaxseeds for fiber. (The nut butter and flax make the shake a little chewy, but I like that!) I add cinnamon (great metabolism booster), some vanilla for flavor, and some stevia plus for sweet. Then I add frozen fruit (berries are lowest in carbs) to thicken it up.

On the coconut milk, there's a 13-oz can at the HFS from Thai Kitchen. So creamy and smoothe! It's 8 carbs for the whole can. I use 1/2 cup per shake. It's a very healthy choice and provides good fat, plus there's no lactose or casein involved.

There's not a lot of protein in almond butter, but most people use whey powder.

Last edited by Jen B : Sun, Jan-15-06 at 09:50.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 10:52

BF:

OK this is my proposed plan:

I plan on trying a modified Shake-Fat Fast.

Here is the breakdown from fitday:

Total calorie- 1512

Total fat- 106g

Total carbs- 39g

Total fiber- 23g

Net carbs- 16g

Total protein- 111g

That is 65% FAT , 4% CARB , 30% PROTEIN

This is my proposed menu:

Breakfast: shake and HB egg (1)

Pre lunch: 3T. flaxmeal mixed with 1pkg. splenda, 1/2 t.cinnamon, 2T. cream (mirco 1-2 minutes)

Lunch: shake, 4 slices of bacon, 6 olives

Pre dinner: 1 oz of macadamia nuts ~ 10-11 nuts

Dinner: Shake, 1/2 c. diced chicken breast w/ 1T. mayo wrapped in 5 lettuce leaves.

Bedtime: HB egg

Drink 8oz of water before and after each meal and snack ( except bedtime snack, then only drink (1) 8oz with the egg)

Total water intake ~ 88oz ( or 1/2 your weight in ounces if you are under 180 lbs.) ( example if you weigh 150 your water total for the day would be only ~ 75 oz.)

note I should drink 100 oz per day so my goal is to slowly build up from the 88 to 100.)

Drink diet drink (splenda sweetened only) if desired but must get in water total.

( I included nutritional info on everything including splenda and cinnamon)

I will be the ginney pig on this one,but if anyone wants to try it with me, I would love to have the company. I am going to do this for 4 days starting today. Then thursday ,( My birthday) will go out for dinner for steak and salad. ( I will keep the rest of the day shake-fat fast) Then back on again for 3-4 more days. I will post results as I see them. And evaluate this plan around that time.

Wish me luck!