Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-05, 05:50

Plan: low fat, low calorie
Stats: 283/283/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Really Old Metabolism

SoThis is really directed to those who are really having a hard time with their LC weight loss. It seems like it use to just melt off, but now, it is going at a snails pace with no cheating.
Does anyone have any jump start secrets?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-05, 10:16

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

It may be directed to me but I don't have an answer. I have been trying induction for over a week and have lost just 2 pounds.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-05, 10:19

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Kywoman2,

There is nothing wrong with losing weight at a snail's pace. It may take a little longer to get to your goal, but you'll get there anyhow. I averaged only 0.6 pounds a week loss, but I made it to my goal and have been there for two and a half years.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-05, 16:29

BF:

You know I may have found the answer to my own question, it seems as I was surfing through some of the older threads the conversation of the meat and egg fast came up. I am really wondering if that would be advisable to do before the induction diet...it is a thought
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 09:06

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

HI, there. I'm kind of new to this forum, but not this site. Here's my two cents--in agreement with Dodger.

It's better to avoid extreme measures like fasts and gimmicks. What's the rush? When you take your time and learn to eat a healthy low-carb way, your body will find its natural happy place. That might not agree with your "ideal goal weight" but it will be sustainable.

Yep, I'd like to weigh 120. But at 135, my body seems to be doing fine. So I call it maintenance and go about my little low-carb routine with a smile on my face.

Just one question: are you exercising regularly? If not, then....
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 09:12
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I agree with bkloots!!

I'm 55 yrs old and started my pan when I was 54. It took me 20 months to get to my goal and I was never in a rush......One day at a time.....

I never deviated from my plan, South Beach, I did not do any fasts or other gimmicks...just followed my food plan.

I do walk alot each day, about 4-5 hours. But just 1/2 hour will be good enough to help your body start losing!!

Hope this helps!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 09:38

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

kywoman2
i agree with the others,

i say--patience and perserverance, follow your plan as it is written, exercise--some kind, any kind for at least 30 mins a day.

i don't think there are any shortcuts

hth
jes
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 09:50

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I noticed those who are looking for quick weight loss seem to bounce around so much looking for a speedier way to lose that they seldom succeed in reaching their goal. And if they do they don't stay their very long.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 06:01

BF:

Thanks, I guess you are right, I guess I get really frustrated since I have been trying to do this successfully all of my life, and I am entering what they call the GOLDEN YEARS??
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 07:13

BF:

Ky, the year I turned fifty--at almost 200 lbs.--I said enough is enough. I used a low-fat/low-cal plan to trim down to my fighting weight, and maintained that for about 5 years, until the Weight Creep caught up with me. That's when I turned to Atkins.

This year, I turn 60, and I think I've finally found the key to good health and weight maintenance for the rest of my life. Check back with me in five years.

P. S. Exercise is a big part of my life. It's never too late.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 12:15

Plan: VLC
Stats: 240/145/150 Female 69 inches
BF: 21%, HT: 69"
Progress: 106%

At fifty, I was under weight at 138 Lbs. It took me 8 years, during a very stressful time in my life to gain a whopping 90+ lbs. I am going to be 59 in 2 weeks and have about 20 lbs to go to goal weight. My life is now on an even keel, so this is it for me and I really feel wonderful, both mentally and physically.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 05:17

BF:

Well this July i will be 62 and it is terrible at this age to still be so dissatisfied with ones self. I know time passes and that there is no miracle and even the people with the gastric bipasses gain weight again. So I am committed to seeing what I can do with my weight before I collect social security! ha ha I have done Atkins for years on and off, the first time, really stuck to it strictly and lost nearly 60 lbs in 3 months, but that was 20 years ago. I know the diet works and I know that my body feels better without the carbs. It has been great finding this website, it really is nice knowing you are not the only one struggling and to hear the success strories, is really a boost...Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Ky, the year I turned fifty--at almost 200 lbs.--I said enough is enough. I used a low-fat/low-cal plan to trim down to my fighting weight, and maintained that for about 5 years, until the Weight Creep caught up with me. That's when I turned to Atkins.

This year, I turn 60, and I think I've finally found the key to good health and weight maintenance for the rest of my life. Check back with me in five years.

P. S. Exercise is a big part of my life. It's never too late.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 235.5/181/135 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kywoman2
Well this July i will be 62 and it is terrible at this age to still be so dissatisfied with ones self. I know time passes and that there is no miracle and even the people with the gastric bipasses gain weight again. So I am committed to seeing what I can do with my weight before I collect social security! ha ha I have done Atkins for years on and off, the first time, really stuck to it strictly and lost nearly 60 lbs in 3 months, but that was 20 years ago. I know the diet works and I know that my body feels better without the carbs. It has been great finding this website, it really is nice knowing you are not the only one struggling and to hear the success strories, is really a boost...Thanks

I know what you mean, KYwoman. I'll be 60 soon and I can't believe I've been struggling with the weight issue for so many years. Including, as you, off and on Atkins... enough to know I feel so much better with less carbs. I'm also glad to have found this website, it's a great support. And soooo many great successes here!

I know my metabolism is not what it was 20 or 30 years ago, but I think exercising will help that. One thing good... in the week I've been back on strict low-carb, the painful arthritis in my knee has improved about 70%! What a surprise! I had cut way back on exercise since that started last summer, with resulting gain of 20 or so pounds. Living proof of how important exercise is at our age. So far I walked a bunch at the mall, without pain. And did an aerobics tape, with problems only on the pivots (will need to stick to Leslie Sansone who doesn't *do* pivots).

Anyway, it's become very clear that excess weight and excess carbs, are incompatible with healthy aging, and that I *must* do something about that.

Karen
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 05:46

BF:

Good job Karen, I know all about knees, I had a replacement about 4 years ago. It worked real well, but what you have to go through, of course no more pain. I am trying to conserve the other one, ha ha...not looking forward to whats down the road for that one. YOu know I have this thing about weighing every day, I dont! But this am after being back on the Atkins for 5 days I find I am down 4 lbs. I thought that was an excellent start~ So we just have to hang in there!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 08:35

BF:

The only arthritis I'm aware of is in my big toes. Several years ago, I had bunions removed from big toe joints on both feet, which helped a lot. Somehow I had learned to live with the pain--but I prefer not having it. Now I can wear shoes comfortably, not to mention ice skates.

(My foot doc says ice skates are the worst--but wanting to skate was actually the reason I went for the surgery.)

Anyway, I take Triple Strength Glucosamine/Chondroitin twice a day. I can't tell if it helps anything, but I've had no further pain from arthritis anywhere, and I'm hoping the supplement is helping, along with the exercise and good eating.