Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 10:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNikki
Hi Nancy,

I don't mean to butt in here but I wanted to suggest to you for intestinal healing -look into SLIPPERY ELM BARK POWDER.

I had to take medication (for years) before eating so not to irratated my intestines and now I'm OFF the medication.

I use it as a tea and it has done wonders for healing.

Be Well,
Nikki

Interesting! I will give it a try.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 10:23

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Thanks Kevin,

Sadly, BOTH places are OUT OF STOCK at the moment. Just my luck

But I will keep an eye on it.

Nikki
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 10:42
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNikki
Thanks Kevin,

Sadly, BOTH places are OUT OF STOCK at the moment. Just my luck

But I will keep an eye on it.

Nikki

when I get some time, my plans are to order some bulk coconut and mill it in my food processer very fine and try that as opposed to the flour and note the comparisons.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 03:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
when I get some time, my plans are to order some bulk coconut and mill it in my food processer very fine and try that as opposed to the flour and note the comparisons.

Just a quick note on the fly, Kevin; I've milled the dessicated regular coconut (87% fat per the USDA etc.) and it will quickly turn to a paste, because of that high fat content. Might try carefully pulsing it, but I suspect the same will occur.

ps: finally got the process specifics out of Wilderness Family Naturals, it is defatted to some extent as evidenced by the Nutrition Facts, will post more details tomorrow, I hope... got to get some zzzzz...sssss.
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 03:40
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Just a quick note on the fly, Kevin; I've milled the dessicated regular coconut (87% fat per the USDA etc.) and it will quickly turn to a paste, because of that high fat content. Might try carefully pulsing it, but I suspect the same will occur.

ps: finally got the process specifics out of Wilderness Family Naturals, it is defatted to some extent as evidenced by the Nutrition Facts, will post more details tomorrow, I hope... got to get some zzzzz...sssss.

wonder if that goes for the dehydrated also?
  #96   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 13:09
Registered Member

Quote:
wonder if that goes for the dehydrated also?

Eh? referring to the dessicated (regular) or the Coconut 'Flour'?

FYI, dessicated is the same as dehydrated. And it's supposed to be unaltered except for the drying, so it'll still be the high fat natural product...
  #97   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 15:16
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Eh? referring to the dessicated (regular) or the Coconut 'Flour'?

FYI, dessicated is the same as dehydrated. And it's supposed to be unaltered except for the drying, so it'll still be the high fat natural product...

The unsweetened dehydrated coconut flakes from Wilderness Family Naturals says 18g. total fat and that sound like less than what you had said.

it says on package our raw coconut flakes are never heated. Unlike dessicated cocnut which is dried in ovens, these flakes are dehydratedat low tempertures (98 degrees F)
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 12:29

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

I mill my dessicated coconut without any real difficulty - it is inclined to gum up a wee bit and clump occasionally, but it still gets fine enough for me. I'm not sure what the fat content is and the pack I buy is wholesale, so I can't check until I buy it again. But I'll post the info when I get a chance to check it out.
Babs
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 03:25
Registered Member

Quote:
The unsweetened dehydrated coconut flakes from Wilderness Family Naturals says 18g. total fat and that sound like less than what you had said.

it says on package our raw coconut flakes are never heated. Unlike dessicated cocnut which is dried in ovens, these flakes are dehydratedat low tempertures (98 degrees F)

sounds a bit like semantics to me... dehydrated means water removed, dessicated means water removed...whether they apply heat or not (which sounds like a good thing, don't get me wrong) is a definite bonus and marketing angle. As for the fat content, 18g of fat per what serving size? If it's the 1 ounce serving size, that's only 28g, and 18/28g is ... um.... 65%. I can see some variation, I'm just going with the pretty reliable USDA numbers.

Meanwhile, here's the text of an email I finally got back from Wilderness re the Coconut Flour (NOT the dehydrated raw coconut flakes), remember we were trying to sort out the differences between Coconut Flour and raw unaltered (except for drying) coconut:

Dear Jude:

It is a raw dehydrated flour that is moslty fiber about 58% fiber, the coconut oil has been pressed out leaving only about 14% Coconut oil. Please read the link providied for you: http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals...conut_flour.htm

Thank-you for your interest,

Roxana Lopez - VP. of Sales & Marketing
roxana~wildernessfamilynaturals.com
1-800-945-3801 or 1-218-226-3985
www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com

"
It is made from fresh coconut meat."

So. Simply Coconut and Wilderness Family Naturals both use a 'flour' meal product to make Coconut Flour, after much of the Coconut Oil has been removed. Nuts4U does not, they are selling regular dried coconut, somewhat finely ground but not as finely as the others, as Coconut Flour...but it ain't. Much higher relative fat and lower relative fiber content.

Be cautious folks, that good price at Nuts4U is NOT the 58% fiber etc. product.
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 15:14

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 244/202/160 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 50%

Coincedence! Today I made the no sugar coconut muffins from the recipe found on page 58 of the Bruce Fife recipe book.

They are very good, but not quite like a traditional flour muffin - they are more dense, more moist, almost like a brownie - but delicious!

I've been reading this thread and can't quite figure out the difference between the various "coconut flours" except for fat and fiber content, am I right?

I used the coconut flour from Wilderness Naturals. It has a nice smooth texture and mild coconut flavor - not spongey like other low carb baked goods. (I cannot stand that spongey texture)

From a carb count perspective - which of these coconut flours would be lowest in carbs?

...and what I gather is that you are trying to determine whether an advertised coconut flour is simply ground coconut meat, or ground coconut meat that has had some of the oil pressed and removed from it?

Is that it?

Thanks! Barefoot
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 16:28
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
So. Simply Coconut and Wilderness Family Naturals both use a 'flour' meal product to make Coconut Flour, after much of the Coconut Oil has been removed. Nuts4U does not, they are selling regular dried coconut, somewhat finely ground but not as finely as the others, as Coconut Flour...but it ain't. Much higher relative fat and lower relative fiber content.

Be cautious folks, that good price at Nuts4U is NOT the 58% fiber etc. product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot1
I've been reading this thread and can't quite figure out the difference between the various "coconut flours" except for fat and fiber content, am I right?

Yes.
The Simply Coconut and Wilderness Family Naturals are the lower net carbs.......Nuts4U has much less fiber thus higher net carbs.

Quote:
I gather is that you are trying to determine whether an advertised coconut flour is simply ground coconut meat, or ground coconut meat that has had some of the oil pressed and removed from it?

Is that it?

yes.
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 16:59

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 244/202/160 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks Kevin. Have you tried both types from Wilderness and Simply Coconut?

I wonder how they compare in taste and texture.

Also, buyer beware with Wilderness, I had a shipping problem with an order from there that took a long while to get resolved.

Thanks, Barefoot
  #103   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 18:01
Kitchen Experimenter

no Wilderness is the only I have tried but I didnt have any shipping problem as a matter of fact I had my order in 3 days.
  #104   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

Kevin gotta laugh at your cute pup. Our dog eats low carb too (Innova EVO)
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 02:25
Registered Member

Quote:
From a carb count perspective - which of these coconut flours would be lowest in carbs?

...and what I gather is that you are trying to determine whether an advertised coconut flour is simply ground coconut meat, or ground coconut meat that has had some of the oil pressed and removed from it?

Barefoot

Barefoot, that was me trying to determine whether an advertised coconut flour IS simply ground dried Coconut meat (which is STILL low in net carbs, but much higher in fat and lower in fiber by weight) or Coconut "Flour".

As for which of the two that actually ARE Coconut Flour, here's the Nutrition Facts panel provided by Kevin (earlier in this thread) for Wilderness Family Naturals, and the one I lifted from the web for Simply Coconut...you can judge for yourself which you want...

Wilderness Family Naturals High Fiber Coconut Flour (3 net per 50g rounded)

Simply Coconut High Fiber Coconut Flour (1 net per 14g rounded)

Makes it a LITTLE tough to compare, eh? ... the different "serving sizes".

Last edited by IslandGirl : Mon, Jan-16-06 at 02:32.