Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-07, 18:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/183.8/130 Female 5'01"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takh_Prime
I've been on exactly one week. Went from 328 to 310.8. Which is 17.2 pounds. I've cheated a little bit, ate some mixed nuts and a bunch of buffalo wings over the weekend. My weight also varies alot due to the large amount of water I've been converting.

ok......what's wrong with buffalo wings? hot sauce is only vinegar and chile peppers. wings are wings. and fat is fat. well, it's hot hydrogenated and probably GMO, but other than that, it shouldn't be off program.....is it? if so, how come?

i haven't posted mine cause i'm still in my first 2 weeks. i have till wednesday, but as of now i'm 5.2lbs down.

Maiasaura
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-07, 18:25

Plan: Atkins (Induction)
Stats: 352.2/332.6/230 Male 74 inches
BF:43%/40%/10%
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura
ok......what's wrong with buffalo wings? hot sauce is only vinegar and chile peppers. wings are wings. and fat is fat. well, it's hot hydrogenated and probably GMO, but other than that, it shouldn't be off program.....is it? if so, how come?

i haven't posted mine cause i'm still in my first 2 weeks. i have till wednesday, but as of now i'm 5.2lbs down.

Maiasaura

They had some carbs in them. I assume there was sugar in the sauce they made.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 04:14

Stats: 217/196/168 Female 5ft 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I usually loose about 9lbs in first week then don't loose in 2nd week.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 05:47

Stats: 189.5/146/140 Female 5ft 3inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I lost 10 lbs the first 2 weeks. Feels great. Gives me motivation to keep eating the yucky eggs for breakfast. Good luck.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 05:52
Registered Member

Stats: 147.4/138.8/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I lost 5.6 pounds during induction. I honestly thought I would just lose one or two pounds in the beginning, so I am very pleased!

Rani
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 08:34
Registered Member

Stats: 244/227/155 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdharper
20lbs. Very repeatible. 7lbs of water, plus weight after that. Then a plateau. Then about 1lb per week.

I was much busier in those days.

How did you know it was 7 lbs. of water? just curious as I would love to know if any of my loss thusfar is not water weight?
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 11:14

Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

I was like Foxgluvs. I did a clean induction, but only lost two lbs. in the first two weeks. Very discouraging. After a month on induction, though, the weight started to come off at a more normal rate.

As others have pointed out, everyone's body is different. Some are lucky, some of us just have to slog it out.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 12:04

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 211/200/140 Female 5 feet three inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I lost 10 pounds in the 1st two weeks. Now I am on the beginning of my 4th week, and haven't lost a pound since the end of week 2.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 13:53

Plan: Atkins/Paleo/IF/IB(72/12)
Stats: 270/217.4/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3grlsmom
How did you know it was 7 lbs. of water? just curious as I would love to know if any of my loss thusfar is not water weight?

The loss for the first 4 days was 7 lbs, 10 lbs in the first week. That sharp drop at the begining has to be water, since I know the rate at which I lost once that original drop took place. I would graph these losses, so I could easily see the rate of change.

Also note, that while playing serioius raquetball for say 1.5 hrs, I can lose that same 7lbs of water.

Also note that Ketosis changes salt balance (at least I think that is what is happening), for most people, such that you do not retain water the same way.

Oh, and note if you come out of Ketosis, or go off the diet for a few days, that same water loss is put back on, which will be VERY discouraging if you don't know what is happening.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 14:19
elephant diesel

Stats: 292/275/220 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymom
I was just wondering if some of you would mind posting how many pounds you lost during your first 2 weeks of atkins induction. I think it would help motivate us all. And if it is already posted here somewhere forgive me for bringing it up again however this place is so big I sometimes get lost here and there is no way I can read it all and I am sure to miss or overlook something. You guys are great!

Gwen

However much water weight everyone is holding, probably. Maybe a good honest pound or two of fat, maybe.

I've been drinking at least a gallon of water a day before I started this whole LC thing, so didn't see any change really, other than maybe retaining more water due to the cheese and bacon.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 17:54
Registered Member

Stats: 203/183.8/130 Female 5'01"
BF:
Progress: 26%

well, oops, i cheated today a little bit. so i'm human.

anyway i went to Ryan's (buffet similar to Western Sizzlin' or Golden Corral) and i had a bunch of chicken, mostly wings, with a little broccoli with butter. well, it was probably margarine of some sort.
i had *intended* to have a small bit of sugar free whipped cream, but then i put a couple tablespoons of sugar free chocolate pudding-- knowing it had carbs but it really was only 1/4c at the most. but then i put...you know those rosettes of icing they put on the center of the cakes? i snaked about 3 of them....oh well.

and you know what? they didn't even taste that good. it wasn't even worth it. i should have just gone and had ice cream if i was going to cheat.

so.....i got to my lowest weight this morning. i wonder if that'll make me go up? ya think? and for how long? i weigh every day. i'm sure it'll probably show a gain, if not tomorrow then the next day. what can i do to make up for it? just get back on track? i wonder how long it'll take to show a loss again?

i have not been counting carbs but i am pretty sure i've been clean and not eating too many up till this. i have not checked for ketones.
how long does it take to go into ketosis anyway, from the onset of induction? if one is keeping clean? and if i was actually in ketosis, how long would it take to get back there because of this lapse?

thanks,
Maiasaura
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-08, 12:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.5/205/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Induction Weight

Ive been doing induction for one week now, and ive lost 8 pounds so far. We will see next week. I don't cheat, because for some oddball reason sugar and grains are just untasty to me right now.

I have three children and they eat a normal USDA diet, so what I did to decrease the urge to cheat was I bought all of their meal items in small sizes, and I only cook enough for them. That way....no leftovers staring at me.

My children love spagetti, so what I did was look for small cans of sauce, and I found some that have exactly three servings in them. So I use one can o' sauce, 1/2 of a roll of hamburger meat, and exactly three servings of spag. noodles.
THis has worked great so far. No waste, and nothing to cheat on for me.

Also, the hardest part for me was cutting out coffee. Coffee doesnt list the carb content, but if you look it up it has 2.8 carbs per cup. I was a pot or two a day person, and ive had none in a week Thats ok though cause im losing weight very well again. Its worth the coffee give up.

Valerie
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-08, 12:35

Stats: 188/178/153 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 29%

Valerie, I'm not sure what kind of coffee you're drinking but coffee doesn't have any carbs in it, the reason we are discouraged from drinking it is because of the caffeine content, the caffeine sometimes stalls peoples weight loss if they are suseptible to it, if you drink decaff and use heavy cream instead of milk you'll be fine.

Sam
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-08, 13:12
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%

Valerie,

I'm not a coffee person but my husband did and he drank decaf with real cream. He really just drinks water now. I miss my diet coke but I gave up all drinks for weight. Just water. something like 40 days of water. If I put tons of ice in it and drink it out of my favorite 32 oz container with a big straw I can deal with it. Not too much the first week. That was the hard week but it really gets easier. I keep drinking it thinking that's the ticket to me losing weight and getting healthier. Way to go with the spagetti sauces. I don't have kids but I don't know how I could make like cookies or cup cakes for school or whatever and not eat it. I can walk through the baker section of my grocery store, but I don't sit and chat with the bakers. LOL That was my big downfall, ice cream and cake. I would eat ice cream all the time. You are doing really good if you are on week one with 8 lbs. I lost 10 total for induction. I'm sure you will do better than me. Good luck!!

#30   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-12, 18:10

Stats: 160/155/130 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

on my 7th day and have lost 6 pounds so far =)...24 pounds to go