Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-05, 11:29

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Question on BFFM and Cardio

I've been stuck for a while. What I'm doing is simply not working for me, so it's time to try a different approach. Today I'm re-re-reading "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto. For endomorphs like me, he recommends 4 to 5 cardio sessions a week, each lasting 30 to 45 minutes, at my target heart rate of 140 beats per minute.

My question is, does that 30 to 45 minutes INCLUDE the warm-up and cool-down, or are they IN ADDITION to the 30 to 45 minutes?

So, if I assume a 5-minute warm-up, a 5-minute cool-down, and a duration of 45 minutes, which is it:
  • 5 minutes to warm up, 45 minutes working at 140, and 5 minutes to cool down. Total of 55 minutes.
  • 5 minutes to warm up, 35 minutes working at 140, and 5 minutes to cool down. Total of 45 minutes.
Also, is 5 minutes enough to warm up and cool down? Or should I just cool down until I reach a "normal" pulse rate again?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-05, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 206/183/170 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/22%/18%
Progress: 64%

Bawdy,

Based on comments I've read in Tom Venuto's e-zine and blog, I interpret him to mean 30-45 minutes at one's target heart rate. Warmup and cool-down for me is whatever feels right that day....anywhere from 2 to 10 min on both sides! Also, please consider including the HIIT protocol in your cardio exercise repertoire. And assuming you exercise at a gym, use as many different machines as you can....variety is the spice of life and in the exercise world much better for your body parts. ;-)

Andy
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-05, 14:11

BF:

Hey, Andy! Everyone has been telling me that I'm overtraining lately, and not to do HIIT too much, if at all for a while. I had been doing it 2 to 3 times a week for a couple months. I'll add it back in when needed (that is, I hit a plateau). Heck, I'm just looking forward to losing a pound or two instead of gaining!

I work out at home, usually at 4:00 am! For cardio equipment, I have a treadmill, a standard (non-electric) stationary bike, and a Nordic-Trak. We're planning on buying a recumbent bike (with levels and programs) as soon as it goes on sale -- probably just a little closer to Christmas.

For lifting, I have a Bowflex, a Total Gym, a standard weight bench (for the long bar), and a "free" bench I use with dumbbells.

Today I did 5 minutes of warmup, 20 minutes at target, and 5 minutes cooldown on the treadmill. Tomorrow I'm taking off, and then Tuesday and Thursday I'll do 5/30/5. Next weekend I'll maybe bump it up again.

I'm taking this week off lifting. Need to figure out a strategy of lifting and cardio that fits in with my schedule. I have a 70-minute drive to work (90 minutes when DH is out of town, since I have to take the dog to Day Care), which really cuts into the day.

Thanks for the advice!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-05, 16:01
Registered Member

Well Bawdy....I'm impressed with your 'gym'. Absolutely no reason you shouldn't be in tip top shape. I also exercise at home but not at 4:00AM! I applaude your fortitude.

I read in one of your posts that you are currently strength training 4 days a week. Is this a full body workout each time or are you doing split routines? You also indicated that you have gone to a protocol using fewer reps with increased weight. That shouldn't be a problem if you are allowing for sufficient recovery time between workouts. For me this means waiting until muscle soreness is gone.

A major indicator of over training is not making progress......unable to increase reps and/or weight from one session to the next. In any case the suggestion to take a one or two week respite is good advice. Hopefully your not overly addicted to exercise! I take a week or two off at least every three months.

And lastly, I think it is very important to plan and log one's exercise activity. It's the only way to know that you are making progress. If you're not making progress then you're not going to optimize fat burning.....and I assume that's what you want to do!

Andy
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-05, 16:57

BF:

I know. With my gym I have no excuse but to be in top shape. Alas, human nature.

I was doing upper body in one workout, and lower body in the next (a couple days apart). I was lifting all I could lift, but didn't have much residual muscle soreness. It seemed like I couldn't do any more . . .

I had just started (one UB workout and one LB workout) doing the 6 reps at as high a poundage as I could muster.

And, I do log every workout, just not online. I keep track at home.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm currently in transition. I'll keep everything posted in my journal. (At least, I'll try!)
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-05, 18:24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench

I was doing upper body in one workout, and lower body in the next (a couple days apart). I was lifting all I could lift, but didn't have much residual muscle soreness. It seemed like I couldn't do any more . . .

Am curious about your protocol(s). What is your rep speed...how many seconds for up and for down? Do you go to failure on each exercise? How do you determine progress? Hope you don't mind the inquisition!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 00:04
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Hi Bawdy,

I wonder what your problem is, post a picture because your face looks not fat at all.

The HIIT research show 3 times a week 15 min is enough, so why do so much??
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 04:20

BF:

Hi, all. Have no time to post at the moment. I'll be back tonight. Thanks, though, for taking the time to help! It's greatly appreciated!!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

If you raise the incline on your treadmill, the calorie burn goes up exponentially. My treadmill says I'm burning 130 cals per mile at a level grade. At 6% grade I'm burning 300 cals per mile. At 12% grade I'm theoretically burning 900 cals per mile. At 12% grade, 6mph, I can only do a dozen one-minute sprints with 30 second rest periods. The theory is when you are reaching your cardiac limits you are stimulating Growth Hormone surges.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 18:12

BF:

Geezum crow! 8:10 pm and I still don't have time to post. Let's shoot for tomorrow night.

Watcher and Alpdriver, I really do appreciate your concern and advice. I just have no time tonight. Let's shoot for tomorrow, ok? I'd respond at work, but they don't allow access to bulletin boards there.

Talk with you soon!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 17:17

BF:

Wow! Thanks for all the responses.

Watcher, I know about the HIIT. I've been doing it for quite a while, but someone on another board said I might be overtraining and that HIIT is hard on your body. Who knows. I'm trying to follow the Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle program, and he has you start out doing straight cardio until you plateau. Then increase your duration and/or exertion, and then add HIIT later on.

My problem is that I get advice from so many people, and they're probably all right in their own ways. It's just not a good idea to mix plans, to my way of thinking. I think it's best when trying a new approach to fall head over heels into that approach -- no tweaking for a good long time, at least until things are not working.

So for now, it's steady-state cardio. I'll add HIIT soon.

Andy, you asked about my protocols. I try to lift slowly, at least 2 beats to go "up" and 2 to come "down." I know it could be slower. If I can do 12 reps, then at a specific weight, then I try the next weight up. Usually I can only do 4 to 6, but I do those each time and pretty soon its 6 to 8, then 8 to 10, then 10 to 12, and then I bump it up again. Always trying to do more.

Oh, about my face not looking "fat." My avatar was taken when I was about 10 pound less than I am now. Not a huge amount, but my cheeks tell it all! I'm now around 165, but still wearing my size 10s (at least the more generous ones), which is not bad in my book.

Kay, I currently do the treadmill at incline of 1. That's not much. I read somewhere that 1 is closer to "real world" walking than is 0. Whatever.

Again, I'll stick to what I'm doing until I don't see progress, and then I'll bump up the effort -- duration, speed, incline, whatever I can manipulate.

So, have I answered all the questions from "The Spanish Inquisition"?

#12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-05, 04:20
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Bawdy, to answer your original question about warmup/cooldown times, why not go to the source? Tom is very good about answering questions from his customers.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-05, 10:35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Wow! Thanks for all the responses.......
Andy, you asked about my protocols. I try to lift slowly, at least 2 beats to go "up" and 2 to come "down." I know it could be slower. If I can do 12 reps, then at a specific weight, then I try the next weight up. Usually I can only do 4 to 6, but I do those each time and pretty soon its 6 to 8, then 8 to 10, then 10 to 12, and then I bump it up again. Always trying to do more.....
So, have I answered all the questions from "The Spanish Inquisition"?

Bawdy, your rep times are fine as long as you keep 'momentum' out of the process. I like to go a little slower when I'm doing volume training.....usually 3 to 5 seconds, both "up" and "down". Then sometimes I mix it up...one set 5 sec "up", 3 sec "down" and the next set just the opposite. Also, as a part of my overall rotation I do H.I.T. protocols (super slow) using 10 sec both "up" and 'down".

Just in case you need some more reading material here's a fitness guru's site with some interesting info:
http://www.ageless-athletes.com/index.shtml

Andy

P.S. You did a great job handling the Inquisition!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-05, 16:08

BF:

Hey, Andy! Thanks for even more reading material (I think!). I definitely keep momentum out of the picture. I'm very careful about isolating muscles and not using, for example, my quads with my crunches and situps.

Gotta run. Be back later!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-05, 01:40
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Hi Bawdy,

You are right about the information overload. It's hard to follow any advice if there is so much and often different approaches to a problem. Just good luck with your private design!