Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 06:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/175/120 Female 5 feet 3/4 inches
BF:42%
Progress: 25%

Ok girls, I THINK this is how you tell what size frame you have. Grab one wrist with the other hand. If your fingers meet, you are medium frame, if they don't you are big boned, and if your fingers overlap, you are small framed. Anyway, according to mine, I am medium framed. Let me know if I am wrong about this.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 08:05
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hello! I have been lurking around this thread! I want to join in. I am only 5'1''. I always thought I was at least 5'3'' until my last doctor's appointment, I was a new patient and I was asked how tall I was and I wasn't really sure so she measured me and I was only 5'1''. I was a little shocked! I had been kidding myself the whole time!

Glad, you started this thread...it is hard to be so short and try and lose weight!
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 10:57

Hi klc145! Thanks for joining in. You are only 1/4 inch taller than me. I was looking at your stats and am curious (not criticising just curious). You have 145 as your goal. Is that a first goal or is that where you look healthy? I am having a hard time choosing a goal. My doctor says anywhere between 95 and 123 for me. I got bold today and changed my signature from 120 to 100 as goal. I believe what my doctor says but somewhere inside me, the sick fat lady says there is no way I will ever make it. Honestly, I think I can definitely make 120.

Anyway, back to my question to you. I know that some folks set their goals in steps and change them as they get there. I have my first "mini" goal as 170. Is 145 "mini" or final?

Just curious. I love this short people thread since I am having trouble setting my goal. It is nice to have all these short people posting at once and I can easily scan their stats.

Thanks for letting me ask you this. Feel free to not answer if you think I am being too intrusive....and anyone else chime in if you have words of wisdom about setting goal weights.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 10:59

And another thing. I really am not obsessing about my goal....mainly dreaming...sigh. I am going to keep on lo carbing and enjoy getting wherever my goal is. I wonder what I will look like when I reach 150............
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 11:16

Stats: 205/123/120 Female 5'2
BF:26
Progress: 96%

Well in regards to the other post about bone size. If that was true and I always thought I was medium boned, but by putting my fingers around my wrist than I am small boned, because they do overlap. I have my first mini goal at losing 30 by my 30th which is December 16th. That will put me at 165. I have my main goal at 120 but I still felt fat at 120 because unfortunately for us shorties we have big booties. If you know what I mean. But once I get closer to my bigger goal I will re-evaluate my goal, I just feel that putting 100 or 110 is just so far away so I keep it at 120.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 11:45
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr8Fan
Ok girls, I THINK this is how you tell what size frame you have. Grab one wrist with the other hand. If your fingers meet, you are medium frame, if they don't you are big boned, and if your fingers overlap, you are small framed. Anyway, according to mine, I am medium framed. Let me know if I am wrong about this.

hmmmm. Somehow I don't think this is it. It might show whether you have long fingers or short fingers though. When I was very very thin there was a lot of overlap when I grasped my wrist, now there is barely any. I DO think you have it right though that it is the wrist bone that is often used to determine frame size. What that measurement is, I don't know.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 11:54
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Just had a memory flash and it's the SHOULDER measurement that determines frame size (well at least the way we did it) A couple of years ago when Wanda was still here we were all measuring our shoulders - there was some other calculation involved. It's a bit tricky to measure this part of yourself, it was below the collar bone and above the deltoid, very tricky to measure such a sloping area without help. The formula might be somewhere on the exercise forum.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 17:03
feels like today

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr8Fan
Hi klc145! Thanks for joining in. You are only 1/4 inch taller than me. I was looking at your stats and am curious (not criticising just curious). You have 145 as your goal. Is that a first goal or is that where you look healthy? I am having a hard time choosing a goal. My doctor says anywhere between 95 and 123 for me. I got bold today and changed my signature from 120 to 100 as goal. I believe what my doctor says but somewhere inside me, the sick fat lady says there is no way I will ever make it. Honestly, I think I can definitely make 120.

Anyway, back to my question to you. I know that some folks set their goals in steps and change them as they get there. I have my first "mini" goal as 170. Is 145 "mini" or final?

Just curious. I love this short people thread since I am having trouble setting my goal. It is nice to have all these short people posting at once and I can easily scan their stats.

Thanks for letting me ask you this. Feel free to not answer if you think I am being too intrusive....and anyone else chime in if you have words of wisdom about setting goal weights.

No...no, not intrusive at all. I have really been struggling with this myslef. The lowest I have EVER been is 115 and I looked sickly!

I initially put 145 because that is where I was about 3-4 years ago and looking back at pictures I looked pretty good and healthy. I have been thinking of moving it down though maybe to 130-135 range.

I really feel at this point that it is dreaming too! It is hard to imagine being that weight again but....it is hard to imagine being nearly 30 pounds heavier than I am now! I guess it is all relative.

I really like this thread too because it is easy to scan stats. It isn't this easy in other threads!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 19:36

Hey I'm going to ask yall if you have ever had those low carb tortillas. I had 2 tacos tonight for dinner. They have 3 net carb per tortilla. Also, do you all pick the cheese and pepperoni off pizza? I wonder if that small amount of tomato sauce will screw me up. What do you all think?
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 05:55

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

Klc145,
I thought the same thing until one day I was at DPS. And they asked me my height I said I'm not sure about 5'2 & they had me remove my shoes & turned out I was 5 ft. But everyone says I look taller, I think it's the long legs & shoes.

I never heard of the shoulder measurments & bone structure but my fingers do overlap on my wrist. I'm not sure if I have long fingers because my hands are small & thin but thier not stubbby.

Tracie, I love the LC tortillas, they have alot of fiber. I also eat the pizza toppings but if I don't want to be messy I'll get thin & crispy & eat just one, but that takes discipline & I won't eat the crust. I think it's better to stick w/ just the toppings.

Y'all have a great day.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 06:40

klc145,
I know EXACTLY what you mean when I pick a goal then think I am just "dreaming" when I think I can weigh that again! We are definitely of like minds and like struggles. I struggle with experiencing a sense of disbelief that this will work....even though I know that is a ridiculous and unfounded worry. I find myself thinking that I will "settle" for weighing 150 again. (Don't get me wrong...I will be thrilled when I get there again!) But, I am trying to believe that I can and will get healthy again. I do NOT want to settle for being overweight.....slightly, moderately, or any other ....ly. I want to be at a healthy weight.

Anyway, now I am rambling, but I really needed to see this thinking in print. Guess I need to reread parts of Dr. Phil's book and get my head straight!!
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 09:46
Registered Member

Stats: 146/143.5/105 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Know the feeling

I'm only 5'2" and have friends that are around 5'7" and they can weigh 50 pounds more than me, easily. I read somewhere that for every inch on your frame add 10 pounds. So, if you're suppose to weigh 110lbs at 5'2" then at 5'3", you should weigh 120lbs. I have been overweight since my teenage years and I am sick of it. Everyone in my family is tall and skinny except me and I want to be the one at Christmas this year that doesn't feel so out of place.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 11:16

I wanted to share my good news with you guys. I just finished my quarter finals today and now I just have to wait for my grade. I am so glad this quarter is over. I get 10 days off now and start again on Nov 7th. We'll be starting pediatric & labor and delivery and Mental Health. Looking forward to clinicals in the pediatric ward, but dreading the clinical for Mental Health which will be at the state hospital. Half-way done and then I start again. Wish me luck on my grade, I only need a 55 to pass the course so I think I'm okay.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 11:49
feels like today

BF:

UCShopgirl...good luck!! I am a college student and just had midterms. My philosophy one didn't go to well...we'll see next week what I ended up with. Are you in Nursing School? That is what it sounds like! My mom is a nurse and that was my first major but I switched after I couldn't go through with the Anatomy course.

Jr8Fan, I don't want to settle either! According to Fitday's little weight chart if I get to about 130 I will be in the healthy weight range. It is horrible looking at where I fall NOW though. Ugh! But, I really just keep telling myself that I didn't gain all this weight in a week and it certainly will not leave me in a week!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 11:55

Hey! Let me see what Fitday says about me!

Be right back!