Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 14:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 270/208/195
BF:30/20/15
Progress: 83%
Default AWESOME

If anyone has ANY doubts about trying this..is was AWESOME! I stuck to the recipe exactly..was generous with the cinnamon and the texture, look, taste were wonderful!
Dont delay..get some SF syrup and whip up a batch!

J
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 10:53

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Thumbs up

Okay... these fell apart on me. But let me say... they were the best tasting mock french toast crumbles I've ever had!!!
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 04:50

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

I would like to try these but...
Can someone please inform me what pork rinds are?!?
The only thing i know of is the rind on your bacon which greasy and goes nice and crunchy if cooked long enough, not something you get in bag.
wonder if it maybe goes by another name I may recognise as I see it mentioned often at this site.
thanks
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 08:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279/235/190
BF:
Progress: 49%

Porkskins
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000927.jpg (45.0 KB, 159 views)
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 13:44

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

ahaa, I have seen those for sale in an Asian supermarkt, yes like really dried out pork crackling. Thought it looked very yuck but i will get some next time I try it in a recipe. If i hate it the dogs will no doubt eat it.
Thanks very much gc1
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 13:29

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up PRFT

I wuv 'em.

Donald
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 20:16

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up This recipe is amazing

Hi-

I decided to try this recipe this weekend, just because even though it sounded completely nasty, everybody raved about it.

Well, add me to the raver list. I was absolutely amazed that this tastes so good! I didn't have any syrup, nor anywhere close by to get some, so I made a strange concoction with butter, splenda and cream which was marginally ok. I'm going to try to find some LC syrup next weekend.

Thanks all! I'll be trolling about the recipe pages for a while.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 09:57
Registered Member

Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Flavouring Options

I thought I would add my modifications. I have been tinkering around with flavouring options.

What I do is make a kind of eggnog as a base. This involves 4parts cinnamon to 1 part ground ginger and 1 part allspice. I have a love/hate thing going on with nutmeg and am currently leaving it out.

We are going dairy free for a while and I have been making the base with unsweetened soy milk with very good results. I also add sweetener to the mix to taste.

For syrup I make my own with methylcellulose, water, sweetener and maple flavouring. It is turning out better than any bought ones. I can adjust any element that I want, though I find that the mix is better after giving it a days standing time.

Also I crush the rinds by snipping a corner of the bag and crushing it with a rolling pin. This gives me control over the texture and helps me hunt out the occaisional hard bits.

Hope this helps

Colin
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 10:00

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 192/167/145 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Wow!!!!!!!!! These are great. Even my
3 year old ate them... she couldn't tell the
difference from normal pancakes!

Thanks so much for posting this.

Kara
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 12:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/179/150
BF:45.1/43.3/??
Progress: 51%
Thumbs up

Hi
I just received my order of sugar free syrups from Da Vinci. they are terrific and are sweetened with splenda. I got the pancake syrup, hazelnut and vanilla syrups They are delicious and had the pancake flavored on my LC pancakes this morning. I couldn't tell the differnece from real syrup. Only took about 1 Tablespoons for the whole batch of pancakes.
I made the pancakes with 3 eggs, 2 Tablespoons heavy cream, 2 Tablespoons of water and some cinnamon and splenda to flavor and about 1/2 Cup of pork rinds. Very quick and easy. I keep ground pork rinds handy to use as fillings.
Haven't figured out the carbs yet, but can't be more than about 4 with the splenda and it made about 6 pancakes.

I ordered right from the DaVinci web site. They took about 4 days to get here. I'm sure I will order more as they have lots including chocolate flavor.
Bev
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 15:48
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

After months and months of resisting this recipe (PORK RIND PANCAKES???!?!??) I tried them this morning. Un-beeee-lievable!!! They taste just like the real thing!!!!!

I sent hubby out to buy 4 more bags of pork rinds.... I'll never be without them in my cupboard now!!

[Edit: DH brought home a different kind of pork rinds than what I bought, and when we made them again, they were TOO porky!! I deduced that the cheaper the pork rinds, the better.... he bought ones that were a bit more crunchy, mine were more fluffy and the cheaper store brand.... also need to get them ground to a fine, fine consistency.]

Last edited by TeriDoodle : Thu, Dec-26-02 at 09:50.
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 16:28

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 192/167/145 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 53%

I also made them with parmesan cheese and garlic powder (no splenda or vanilla)
and they were very good. They also heat up in the microwave and I've been making them into a breakfast sandwhich for dh to take to work and eat, just add bacon, egg and cheese!
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 18:32

Stats: 246/198/180
BF:?/35.2/31
Progress: 73%

I just made the waffles and they were pretty good!!

If you are like me and my boyfriend... we both said, "PORK RINDS? yuck." But I was eager to bake/make something- and in the mood for a meal other than burgers or chicken (for dinner).

Soooo....

I crushed the pork rinds in the blender, and then sifted out any of the hard pieces that didn't grind down. So, I ended up with a nice powder/flour.

Then, I follwed the instructions-- eggs, cream, water, vanilla, sugar&cinnamon... but I added an extra pkt of splenda, a little more cinnamon (I didn't measure- just to "taste") and some nutmeg. After it was all mixed up- I added a cup of powdery pork rinds.

I have a Sunbeam waffle maker- and I was able to get 4 waffles from the batch. The last 2 "boiled" over a bit... so I bet if I watched it closely, I could have gotten 5 waffles from the batch.

I took the suggestion of topping with homemade whipped cream (eventhough I also added it to the batch), and butter.

I served it with a side of bacon-- just in case the waffles were "pork rind-y" I wanted to have a flavor that covered it- and basically confused the taste buds.

Nonetheless... I had 2 whole waffles- and my boyfriend (also LC and 260lbs of hungry man) only had 1 waffle and was pleasantly full!

I finished it off with a mock root beer float (diet root bear, with some of the left over whipped cream) and let me tell you.... I feel like I have gone out to a restaurant and splurged on treats!

YUM YUM!

Last edited by SupahSteph : Sun, Dec-22-02 at 18:33.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 20:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204.5/198.5/150
BF:
Progress: 11%
Smile

Hi, I'm a newbie here. I tried this woe last year with some success, however over the summer my father & 2 brothers-in-law were diagnosed with cancer. All are doing ok right now, but during the ups & downs, trips to the hospital, & nervous eating I've gained some back. So I'm starting brand new.

I have tried this recipe last time & loved it. But I wanted to share a Sugar Free Syrup I found. I live in a small town with only about 4 or 5 grocery stores. I found it in only 1 Kroger store. It is called Maple Grove Farms Cozy Cottage. IT is made with Splenda. The serving size is 1/4 cup. It has 10 Calories, 0g fat, 120mg sodium & 4g carbs. I don't usually pour the syrup over the french toast, I measure out the 1/4 cup, but dip bite by bite into the syrup, so I don't even use the whole 1/4 cup. (I try not to use up too many carbs in the morning.) I'm not sure how legal it is, but it is the BEST & closest to real tasting syrup I've found on the market. If you can find it, give it a try.

Thanks for listening & I'll try to post often.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 15:38

Stats: 161/134/135
BF:
Progress: 104%

Add me to the list of ravers about this recipe! Even my daughter who is not LC liked them!

I formed the batter into squares as I put it into the pan and it even 'looked' like french toast - down to the crusty edges and all! Very satifying...

Gotta try it without the cinnamon and splenda for pizza dough - will add some parmesan and oregano... haven't had a decent pizza in so long!!!

Its back to the store for more bags of "chicharronnes" (Mexican translation for pork rinds, anyway thats what the bags are labeled) - gotta keep these on hand!

--casuzen