Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 16:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

I rushed home from work, ran to the grocery store, blew around the kitchen like a tornando making dinner and then huffed and puffed on the treadmill while the dinner was in the oven. Whew!!! It sure is good I'm doing this challenge, or I would have definately blown off the treadmill and laid on the couch instead! I didn't do so well taking my supplements- I forgot, like usual!!!

I'm afraid the abs challenge would push me over the edge- I'm barely managing to do the couple things I challenged myself to do. But SOMEDAY I hope to work on my abs (as well as all my other muscles!)

Lonewolf- Glad your dad is feeling better!!!!

Hope everyone is having a great week!
Debbie
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 18:38

Plan: Restarted LCHF 1/22/17
Stats: 288.8/160.2/135 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:66.1%/33.5%/24%
Progress: 84%

Hello everyone. Sorry i've not been around much lately, just been busy. Eating is doing OK. I need to really start watching my calories more. I've been getting up to and sometimes over 2000 calories a day too many days latley, and i'll never lose more wieght that way! My BMR is only 1400 calories a day, no way do i need 2000! LOL. I've been eating way too much fatty stuff latley and not enough veggies and stuff. I HAVE to start getting more veggies in!

I am tyring ot get back on track going to the gym. I did go today, did a max-out workout for my upper body and a fast paced 30 minutes on the elliptical. I feel MUCH better. I've been feeling very tired and lethargic latley, but i always feel better after the gym!

I am not doing very good about getting all my water in though. I have to get back ont rack with taht too.
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 19:24
Stay in the ZONE!!

Plan: atkins/mine
Stats: 253.5/253.5/200 Female 5'2"
BF:Losing It!
Progress: 0%

Hey Dawn I am in for the ab challenge. Not for sure what days I will take off, but will decide as I go. Is there an amount of time I should be shooting for?
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 19:43

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

Donna - I've got (and have never used) the Firm's 5-Day Abs DVD - if I remember correctly, it's only 7 minutes long - think I'll dust that one off! Honestly, ab work shouldn't take very long......or maybe all these years I haven't been working them long enough! <shrug> Dawn? What would your PT recommend?

Last edited by ellen4621 : Tue, Sep-20-05 at 19:54. Reason: brain fart! lol
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 20:12
Registered Member

Plan: Personal Plan
Stats: 240/204.5/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

I didn't make my exercise goal last week, all my excuses sound so lame I won't even bother. But I did a good thing today, walking 1.23 miles each way, and over a big big hill, to a meeting in downtown Seattle. The weather was great, and I had the time, so off I went. Good thing I chose to wear my walking shoes today.

Deborah
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 22:29

WTG Deborah! Good job! As for the excuses...we've all "been there, done that" more often that we'd really care to admit to, so you're NOT alone in that department! Just remember that GOOD feeling of accomplishment that you had after you were done!

Sue (and everyone else) - Speaking of food and calories.....Dana Carpender is coming out with a new cookbook - "The Every Calorie Counts Cookbook"! It's STILL a LC cookbook (but I guess quite a few places...like Barnes & Noble....are refusing to order in ANY new books/cookbooks with the words "low carb" in the title! Idiots! They all think LC is DYING OUT! Grrrr!) Anyway (sorry...got sidetracked a bit! lol), she goes on to say that her new cookbook also takes calories into account 'cuz as most of you know, once you get closer to goal (those last pesky 5-10 lbs) or are at goal & maintaining (or at least TRYING to maintain! lol), calories DO start to matter. And, no, I don't know when it's scheduled to hit the stores, but one can pre-order it through Amazon.com (sorry, don't have the link handy right now).

#82   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-05, 23:00

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Hi Everyone,
Well I've been gone for the past 5 days on vacation. Needless to say, I didn't make my gym goal, but I did get alot of exercise. I also got my water in. Today I ran almost 2 miles, so even though I haven't gotten into the gym, I got my cardio workout.

I'm back on track now! Hope to see some real results soon!
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 11:50

Pink - Glad to see you back from your cruise and back on track!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mini-ab challenge update: My ab work is DONE!! Took me a whole....5 MINUTES!!! And, no, I still haven't opened up my Firm DVD yet - I just got down and did my own exercises today - crunches, bicycles, dbl crunches, & rev crunches.

#84   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 16:10

Stats: 263/241/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:Above Avg.
Progress: 28%

I'm back, WHO IN THE HELL HAS BEEN IN MY JOURNAL!!!!!! Looks like you tried to clean up, but I found a beer bottle under the sofa, and it's not my brand. Not to mention the spring line of Victorias Secret that was left laying around. Okay, sorry, that was my little add in! A man can dream can't he???

So my trip was a huge success!!!!!! I can't believe I live 4 hours from that place and have never been there. If anyone ever wants a great vacation, MOAB UT is the place. It's like a 400 square mile post card. Absolutely breath taking. It was a bitter sweet trip for me. The sweet part was all the riding, the bitter part was all the time to think and wonder where my life is heading. (See Journal for sorted details). Bottom line is this. It will not be another 20 years before I go back. In fact, I'm already planning a trip for next spring. Too hot in the summer, but spring and fall are perfect.

I guess I better get my butt in gear as all of you have been doing great. I think I'm in a pretty good mental place to kick this all in again. I don't know if I'm going to head to the induction phase, but more along the lines of this challenge and focus on the exercise part. I watched the biggest looser last night and it gave me some inspiration. I'm going to follow it over the weeks and see what progress I can make in the same time period. I know it won't be nearly as much, as these people have dieticians, and personal trainers, but I'll do the most I can with what I have.

Just wanted to let you all know I'm back and ready for action, looks like I'm the only guy you can't scare off.
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 21:37

Plan: LC/hypoglycemic friendly
Stats: 204/207/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:?
Progress: -5%

Can't scare you off??? I have some horrible pixs of me in a swimsuit that would scare anyone! Welcome back Dennis!

Ellen great work on the ab challenge! You're my new inspiration!

Donna thanks for jumping on board also! I think the ab workout time is up to you guys... it all counts!

Did anyone else jump aboard? Had alot reading to catch up on.

Hey lonewolf-- I'm with you on the excess calories and needing to get back on track!

NO CAFFEINE!! Yes, I gave it up! It really hinders my efforts. Now if I could give up my LC icecream I'd be doing good. Told a friend I wasn't going to buy anymore-- she is good to hold me accountable-- well wasn't feeling well and when I was sick the ball and chain thought he'd be nice and buy me some! Oh, boy-- thanks for the help. LOL!

O.k. here is my workout story for you all tonight. (Please don't hate me!) This is part confession and part to make you all look REAL good even if you just got in exercise walking extra steps to the refridge! I wake up early to use the treadmill... went back to bed. Went to lay down to do ab work mid day and decided to go eat SF reseese peanut butter cups instead. O.K. it doesn't end there.... NO! So I get done with work early and decide to hit a 5 o'clock class at the gym-- talked on the phone instead! Then I decide to hit the 6:10 class-- was late due to dropping my son at a meeting that started late. So-- O.K.-- this is where I loose friends, uninfluence people and get rude stares-- I go to the health club, drop my youngest in the playroom, set my 14 year old loose to "do something that works up a sweat" (he doesn't want to be there and is complaining about not knowing what to do). I head to the womens dressing room (just going to lift weights and do abs since I missed all the classes) and my phone rings. I answer it. Then I proceed to keep talking put my street shoes on, go outside to an outdoor patio and keep talking, smoked 2 cigarettes (yes! I know no lectures! ) and talked on the phone until the time I told my son to meet me at the front to pick up the youngest one. Yes. I know. BUT it gets worse!! How you ask?? Well I won't give you details... but we all headed to Culvers... and we all know there isn't a LC item on the menu without disecting a sandwich! NO. It doesn't end there.... but I think you've heard enough huh? Who the *blank* goes to a health club to sit outside and do NOTHING!!!! I think I'm a little ashamed and alot mad at myself. Anyone have a bigger "idiot of the day story" to put mine to shame? No? Didn't think anyone could possibly top this one.

O.K. I am going to slink out now-- if I still have any friends left here I'll talk to you tomorrow!

P.S. I'll count this as one of my 2 "off" days for the abs challenge if you don't mind...
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 05:31

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by redefine04

O.K. I am going to slink out now-- if I still have any friends left here I'll talk to you tomorrow!

Hey- I think you get lots of imaginary calories burned for at least TRYING to exercise. Just showing up at the gym counts as exercise in my book. And if I have a dream that I'm on my treadmill, I count that as an actual exercise experience!

I did NOTHING exercise related yesterday- I blew it off with nary a twinge of guilt or a backward glance, so I can only HOPE to aspire to what you achieved!!!!
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 09:05

Posted this in my journal, but also wanted to share it here:

Good article from eFitness newsletter:

Compound Your Results!

September 22, 2005
By Diana Rini
eFitness Guest Columnist

Pressed for time? Most people who don't exercise often state lack of time as the reason for not starting a fitness program. So how can people juggle busy lives and still find time for a quality workout? The answer may lie in performing compound exercises. Compound exercises can provide a powerful workout for a fraction of the time.

Compound exercises are movements that use multiple joints at one time. When you perform compound exercises, more muscle groups are used per exercise. For example, a bench press is a multi-joint exercise because both the shoulder and elbow joints are moving. It works several muscle groups, including the chest, shoulders and triceps. On the other hand, the biceps curl is a single-joint exercise because only the elbow is moving. The biceps curl only works the biceps muscle. Therefore, compound exercises help you do more in less time. By working several muscle groups at the same time, you can perform fewer exercises and reduce the total amount of time you spend in the gym.

Compound exercises also increase strength and size far more effectively than single-joint, isolation exercises. This doesn’t mean that single-joint exercises are ineffective. Exercises that isolate muscles do have an important role in fitness. However, if your scheduled calls for reduced exercise time, compound exercises are the way to go. Plus, they are more functional since virtually every movement in daily activities and in sports involves moving multiple joints.

Consider incorporating these compound exercises into your routine for a powerful whole body workout that will get you in shape and keep you ready to go!

1. Squat. The king of exercises for the lower body, the squat is at the top of the list as one of the best compound exercises. The squat works all the major muscles including your butt, thighs, and calves. Stomach and back muscles are also used for balance.

2. Lunge. Lunges are another excellent multi-joint exercise and are particularly more functional for sports and daily activities than isolation exercises like leg extensions or leg curls. Lunges also work all your lower body muscles and especially shape the gluteals (buttocks muscle).

3. Bench Press. When it comes to the upper body, the good old-fashioned bench press reigns supreme. This exercise is a staple of chest development and works all the major muscles in your chest and many muscles in your shoulders and arms.

4. Pulldowns. Watch the muscles of your back develop with this granddaddy of exercises for the back. You will also be impressed with how toned your arms will become without doing even one curl!

5. One-Arm Row. This is a wonderful exercise to work upper and mid-back muscles and the rear head of the shoulders. It is also great at bicep and forearm development!

6. Shoulder Press. The overhead shoulder press is excellent for developing the shoulders, upper back, neck and arms.

7. Bicycle. This abdominal exercise is one of the best moves to target the abdomen, including the upper, lower and side regions, according to a study done by the American Council on Exercise.

Make an effort to do multi-joint exercises for eight weeks, having a fitness professional show you the proper form. Combine these exercises with adequate sleep and good nutrition and you will see huge improvements in your fitness level!

One set reaching muscle fatigue between 8 to 12 repetitions is enough. Extra sets may add some more benefits, but one is generally plenty to see results. Do your workouts on alternating days like Monday, Wednesday and Friday so the muscles can rest and recover. To keep stimulating your muscles and keep things interesting, occasionally change your hand position (wider and narrower grips), your feet position (wider or narrower stance or toes straight ahead or pointed out) or your angle (incline bench press versus flat bench press).

Compound exercises are proven time-efficient muscle builders. Before you lift, don’t forget to warm up your muscles by performing a few minutes of walking on the treadmill or simply doing some jumping jacks. And yes, you still have to stretch after you exercise!

Diana Rini is an ACE Personal Trainer and the owner of Matter of Fitness Personal Training Studio in Willoughby, Ohio. She focuses on educating her clients how to safely and effectively lose weight, get in shape and improve their health. View their website at www.matteroffitness.com.

#88   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 09:21

Plan: Restarted LCHF 1/22/17
Stats: 288.8/160.2/135 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:66.1%/33.5%/24%
Progress: 84%

Ellen: i did see that new Dana Carpender book on Amazon. I put it on my wish list. I LOVE her cookbooks. I use hers the most out of the .... too many... that i have. LOL.

Dennis: Glad you are back. Sounds like a fun trip - if Chris and I ever get a second 4-wheeler we'll have to go!

Dawn: Dont' beat yourself up and slink around. Hell, i've missed plenty of days at the gym lately, and am at this very momen twondering if i should go today, since my car's in teh shop and i only have the harley and it's kind of rainy off and on today.... But, alas, I MUST GO! LOL. Ah, damnit - i left my little radio in teh car too, at the shop, so that means i can't listen to Oprah and soaps while i work out. Phooey! Maybe i wont' go.... LMAO

oh OK, i AM going to try to make ti to the gym today. As long as it's not pouring i can just throw my rain jacket on and ride the bike. I don't like riding if it's raining bad though. I WOULD go up to the dealership and get my stereo out of the car, but i already forgot my garage door opener and the courtesy van had to bring it to me as i was locked out of my house. STUPID ME! I'd feel REALLY dumb if i had to go up there and admit i forgot something ELSE! no way man!
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 14:06

Just a quick fly-by to say: ABS are DONE! (along w/ my UBWO as well) Will come back in later this evening to catch up w/ everyone!

#90   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-05, 08:15

Stats: 158/142/125 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Today was my weigh in day...

Ok so today was the big day. I started at 152 and now my weight is 148!
I am so happy that the scale moved...this gives me such incentive to keep going.

I am going to remain cheat free and on plan, have a great weekend!