Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 14:29

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

I was just trying out the drawl after my trip to Kentucky! Looks like I'll have another chance to work on it next week in North Carolina

Protein and veggies.... YUMMY! I've got to get some chicken on the way home tonight.

PG - Yep... I'm betting within 24-48 hours your free of the cravings!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 07:42

Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

Hello everyone! I am back from my vacation in Mexico and I want to go back now!! I did so well on my diet while away and only let loose the day before I left. I have been slowly getting back to cutting calories..I didnt have FitDay to keep track of calories and I suspect I had more than my usual 800. I think by MOnday I should be back on track.
Congrats to everyone's progress! I dont remember what I was when I started but I am counting from here on in! Hopefully Ill have some good progress within the next month. I am going on a trip and my goal is to loose about ten pounds by then. Ladies, keep your fingers crossed!!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 08:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Welcome back, K! Sounds like you enjoyed yourself!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 15:30
Registered Member

Stats: 255/199.5/160 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Looks like I finally get to join in on the fun! First I had to wait a few weeks to get to see the doctor (to make sure all my numbers are OK so my parents would feel better), then another week for the results, then a day and a half of carb up. Since I was staying at Induction level carbs, I figured a system shock might net me better results, and yesterday I finally started my PSMF plan. I figure I'll report my starting weight as my weight before the carbup, and count from there.

One thing I don't get is where you guys get the room to pack in so much food! I've decided to pretty much do canned chicken with a vegetable for each meal (1/2 bowl of green beans, a pickling-sized cucumber, or a bowl of broccoli), and between the water needed to get the supplements and the chicken down I'm dying at each meal! Though I must admit, I'd rather be stuffed than having to deal with 2 oz. meals on the Fat Fast...
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 15:34
Experimenter

BF:

Wow! Glad you're finding plenty of sustenance in your meals! Actually, as long as I get plenty of veggies, I'm fine too.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 16:02

Sometimes it's a struggle to get all my chicken in at dinner, but I usually make it Full feels different on psmf than on high carb to me. Much less expansive I guess.

I'm hoping to post a new psmf low by Sunday. If not, it will have to wait a week or so. Another biz trip and I'll be eating non-psmf meals for the better part of it.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 18:05

Plan: PSMF (from Veg Atkins)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:BMI 41.8/29.6/23.5
Progress: 73%

I would like to join you guys on your Protein Sparing Fast. I have read a lot about it and I was doing a fat fast recently. I am not too happy with the results of it this time around though.

Could you guys let me know how many of the following you consume: (I know everyone is different, but what do YOU do?)

Cals
Carbs
Protein
Fat

Thanks so much! I am looking forward to losing fat with all of you!

PB
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 18:11
Experimenter

BF:

It depends. And this is why I'm going to chant, "Read the book". Its pretty involved in figuring out your protein amount, how often to have free meals, whether or not to do refeeds etc. I wouldn't even attempt to try to steer you from the guidelines because it is so specific for each individual.

There's a summary of the book in my signature you might want to read and see if this is for you.

If you wanted to do a generic low-carb, lower calorie diet there's that option too. Basically we're eating very high, lean protein and unlimited low carb veggies with occassional diet (maintenance breaks) and free meals.

I think anyone who was doing low-carb, low-cal while not exactly following our plan is more than welcome to contribute to this discussion. Although you might be confused by some of our babbling about free meals and refeeds and diet breaks. And wondering why we occassionally stuff ourselves with carbs. But our goal of following Lyle McDonald's plan is to do low cal in a way that preserves muscle, preserves our sanity, and isn't too heinously unbearably difficult so we can actually eventually get the damn weight off at last!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Sep-09-05 at 18:33.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 18:57
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Well put Nancy!

Miss Cindy, I think you'll find that new low very soon. You are very dedicated, and ambitious. I don't doubt you for a minute!

Since coming home from my trip, I've been trying to lower the carbs to almost nil, with tons of veggies and salads going on.... But everytime I make breakfast without any fat, I'm starving an hour later.. So I've been trying to get back to the PSMF without any repercussions. It seems when I lower my fat intake, I'm starving too soon after my meal.

( i think i just rambled. LOL)
But the carbs are pretty much gone, the cravings are gone, but hunger sets in too quickly. Something will give soon... I just know it. LOL!

Welcome PB, I too, tried the FF plan, but kept falling off. Once you get the PSMF going, it's a smooth glide. If you read back thru the August thread of PSMF support, you'll see we were all sailing smoothly.

Ironic that most of us took diet breaks at the same time. 2-4 weeks maximum, non stop PSMFing, and we all took a break.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 00:04
Registered Member

Stats: 255/199.5/160 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I'm around 30% BF right now, which puts me in Category 3. Now, the book doesn't seem to really address this topic, so let me ask all of you: do I need to have free meals? Lyle seems to mention that the purpose of the free meals is largely to keep one "sane", but I know I would be fine psychologically without them since I would rather have more rapid fat loss. Any thoughts?
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 01:30

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Our experience with it is to do them. This does not mean binge meals.It just means eating a bit more flexibly twice a week. There will be times when you will need to do this, e,.g. going out to a party, etc. It helps get you out of the rigid mind set which is a big part of the problem anyway.

Val
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 10:26

Truffle, if you have any type of social life that includes dining out, you'll want to use the cheat meals. It's pretty tough to order plain chicken and broccoli when you're friends are having burgers, frys, beers, etc. The diet breaks are important too. I usually see better losses immediately after a diet break.

PBGirl... are you a strict vegetarian? I think this diet might be pretty tough to do without eating chicken and tuna at least. You have to buy and read the book... It's just so personalized on how you get to the proper level of protein. Plus you need to fully understand what you're doing.

That is funny about our diet breaks PG. I was hoping to go straight through til Halloween until my travel schedule got crazy. I'm still hoping to make my Halloween goal of 250, but it could prove challenging. It looks like my traveling will contintue in October.

Welcome back KCookys!

Hey Val... how's the break coming along?

Nancy...are you on a break too??

I'm at a new psmf low today!! 274.8 I hope it's just 274 by tomorrow So the next 5lbs gone will put me in true VT (virgin territory). I'm pretty confident I'll get there this time around
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 12:59

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian which means that I still eat milk products and eggs. I know that I will need to eat more protein, but I will use my zero carb/ zero fat protein drinks.

I have read the thread that is in Nancy's entries and I also read about the PSMF in the success stories section. I am really interested in this. Thanks for welcoming me too! I will further investigate this PSMF.

Thanks again,
PB
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 13:03
Experimenter

BF:

Cindy, I am on a break for 2 more days! Then back to PSMF'ing.

I just saw a Good Eats episode about cooking food in pouches and I think I might try that with fish! It looked fun and it'd be low carb/low fat and tasty.

My low cal lemon curd is fantastic! Even my picky sister loves it. In fact... I'm going to make her some now.

Smooches all!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-05, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
And this is why I'm going to chant, "Read the book". Its pretty involved in figuring out your protein amount, how often to have free meals, whether or not to do refeeds etc. I wouldn't even attempt to try to steer you from the guidelines because it is so specific for each individual.

Okay, this may be a dumb question, but where did you get the book??