Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, May-03-06, 07:14
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

*bumping this one up yet again*
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, May-03-06, 09:30
Attitude is a Choice

I took this from Betsy atkins journal.....I think that they way they enter OWL phase is very strict or much stricter than we on SBD......but what it does do is tell them how to do it which is what we on SBD are missing.

We are already eating all the veggies we could possible want.
we are already eating cheese, seeds and nuts,berries in phase II. wine in phase II, legumes in phase I,

**Fruits, starchy veggies and whole grains are the only things that we get to add in when we get to phase II.**

I'd like to stress that there is no mention of bread and flour here....which is what I still am very strict about in my plan of eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyStL
Carbohydrate Ladder
1. More salad & other acceptable veggies
2. Fresh Cheeses/aged cheeses
3. Seeds & nuts
4. Berries
5. Wine & other spirits low in carbs
6. Legumes
7. Fruits other than berries & melons
8. Starchy veggies
9. Whole grains

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution pg. 177
If you chose to leave induction with 30 or more pounds still to lose, you may not be happy with a major slowdown. In this case, I would urge adding carbohydrates very slowly, staying for two or more weeks at each 5 gram incremental level. Whether you are adding 5 grams each week or every other week or even less often, you'll increase your carbohydrate consumption steadily. When your weight loss begins to become imperceptible, you'll back down from that level.

Thanks Betsy!!
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-06, 15:07
Attitude is a Choice

Bumping this baby back up to the top for all the newbies!!!
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-06, 20:15

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 168/153/140 Male 5 feet 3 inches short
BF:
Progress: 54%

I was going to say, 90+ posts in one day!!!!

Cool thread, I'll read through it when I get time!
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-06, 13:33
Attitude is a Choice

http://www.atkinsalltheway.com/wiki...OWL_Carb_Ladder

Quote:
OWL Carb Ladder
From Atkinspedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Ongoing Weight Loss Carb Ladder should be followed to ensure the best success on the Atkins Nutritional Approach

Dr. Atkins recommended, in his 2002 copy of DANDR, using the power of 5 when adding carbs back in to our diets and he lists the food groups in a particular order to add them back in. Atkins dieters affectionately refer to this as the OWL ladder. Below, in the order of acceptance is the definitive list. (You should add each item only when you do not stop losing. If you stop losing, stay on the current rung until you begin losing weight again.)

1-Vegetables
2-Dairy
3-Nuts and Seeds
4-Berries
5-Alcohol (usually wine & other spirits low in carbs)
6-Legumes
7-Fruits (other than berries and melons
8-Starchy vegetable
8-Whole grains

You may be wondering why I'm putting atkins OWL carb ladder here in the SBD forum.....I think it spells things out much better than how the SBD tells us how to get into phase II.

We are already eating vegetables, dairy, nuts and seeds, legumes...all during our phase I aka induction.....fruits, starchy veggies, wine and whole grains are the only ones left after we are finished with our phase I.

So we(SBD) start with fruits first for the first week, 1 fruit per day in addition to all the other carbs we have been eating in phase I. right off the bat, this will bring our daily carbs to about 40-50 if we eat all that we are allowed in phase I.... plus 1 fruit. We then work our way up to 2-3 fruits per day...and 2-3 starches per day...and starches can be a starchy veggie and or a whole grain serving....not flour/bread!!!

It strikes me as pretty common to see newbies make the same mistakes when entering phase II of SBD....they immediately go for bread...."yeah but its whole grain wheat bread"..... but its still flour and highly processed....and needs to be at the very bottom of the carb ladder...the very last type of carb to add back in when we are close to our goal weight.

Also, many people have issues with wheat in general....I've found that I'm one of them so I avoid wheat 95% of the time. When I do have a grain, its a whole grain rye cracker ie: Wasa or Ryvita. Even in maintenance, I'm very stingy when it comes to flour.
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 14:44

Stats: 256/228/175 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 35%

I'll post things as they come to mind...I'll start with this....

Instead of trying to push the limits to see how much of your old way of eating you can hold on to....stick with the plan, as it's written, until you learn how it works. After you learn the basics you can start experimenting and molding the plan to to your individual tastes. Remember that you are trying to discover how you are going to eat for the rest of your life.

This just hit me like a ROCK...Thank You! This IS my problem, I am crying right now, That statement has clicked something in my head! I struggle, because I am STILLl trying to keep my "old" ways...I can't, I know I have to let go of the way I WANT to eat and eat the way my body likes and is healthy. I know this, but you really helped me today with what you said...THANK YOU so much!!

Lysa

Last edited by mlmagic : Mon, Nov-06-06 at 15:10.
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 14:56

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Thank you for posting the carb ladder - I didn't remember ever seeing it!! Thanks!
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 15:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmagic
I'll post things as they come to mind...I'll start with this....

Instead of trying to push the limits to see how much of your old way of eating you can hold on to....stick with the plan, as it's written, until you learn how it works. After you learn the basics you can start experimenting and molding the plan to to your individual tastes. Remember that you are trying to discover how you are going to eat for the rest of your life.

This just hit me like a ROCK...Thank You! This IS my problem, I am crying right now, That statement has clikced something in my head! I struggle, because I am STILLl trying to keep my "old" ways...I can't, I know I have to let go of the way I WANT to eat and eat the way my body likes and is healthy. I know this, but you really helped me today with what you said...THANK YOU so much!!

Lysa

Sorry, don't know what I messed up with the reply, but I am thanking PSTAR for the post...
Lysa
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 15:21
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmagic
Sorry, don't know what I messed up with the reply, but I am thanking PSTAR for the post...
Lysa

You also have an edit button so that you can go back and correct your first post.

I'm happy that what pstar said has meaning to you....he's right!!
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 15:23
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylorene
Thank you for posting the carb ladder - I didn't remember ever seeing it!! Thanks!

If you are doing Atkins, it's in the book, DANDR 2002.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 16:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
You also have an edit button so that you can go back and correct your first post.

I'm happy that what pstar said has meaning to you....he's right!!

Thanks Judy...
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-06, 09:45
Attitude is a Choice

Todays South Beach Daily Dish.....hmmmm.....

Processing is the enemy!!

Quote:
Whole Grain Spotlight: Barley

Now that you're following the South Beach Diet®, you know that whole grains are an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. (Enjoy them beginning in Phase 2.) But did you know that there are many options to explore? Consider barley, a great, lesser-known whole grain. Despite the fact that barley has been a staple for centuries — it's one of the oldest cultivated grains — it's often overlooked. But there are good reasons to move barley to the front of your pantry. Barley is a versatile grain with more overall nutritional value than rice or wheat, and hulled barley is a particularly rich source of dietary fiber and B vitamins. Also, like oats, barley is an excellent source of soluble fiber, which means it can be effective in lowering cholesterol levels.

Buying
The two most common types of barley are refined pearl barley and unrefined hulled barley. As with refined flour, the barley milling process removes barley's outer hull and bran layer, exposing the pearl-colored balls that give this barley its name. Unfortunately, like other refined grains, much of the nutrient content is removed during this process. "Hulled" barley, on the other hand, still has its nutritious bran layer intact, which is why it's an excellent source of dietary fiber — and why it's a great choice for people eating the South Beach Diet® way. It's also rich in iron and thiamin, as well as some essential trace minerals. While refined pearl barley is readily available at most grocery stores, you may have to look in a health food or specialty store to locate the more nutritious hulled barley.

Storing
Barley, hulled or pearl, should be stored in an airtight container. It can be refrigerated or frozen for up to six months. Barley should remain clean and dry with a fresh smell.

Preparing
Barley can be added to soups, stews, salads, and even baked goods. It's cooked much like rice; cooking times will vary according to the variety. Hulled barley requires one hour and 40 minutes to cook in boiling water. Due to the refining process, pearl barley only takes 45 minutes to cook. For best results, follow the instructions on the package
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 20:22
Attitude is a Choice

bump!!!
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 16:09

Plan: Low Carb, Good Carb
Stats: 206/164/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc

So we(SBD) start with fruits first for the first week, 1 fruit per day in addition to all the other carbs we have been eating in phase I. right off the bat, this will bring our daily carbs to about 40-50 if we eat all that we are allowed in phase I.... plus 1 fruit. We then work our way up to 2-3 fruits per day...and 2-3 starches per day...and starches can be a starchy veggie and or a whole grain serving....not flour/bread!!!

Thanks, Judy
Looking forward to starting Phase 2 on Monday!
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 11:17
Attitude is a Choice

bump for newbies...or oldies with things to add to this.