Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 18:42
Wanna Be A Loser!

Plan: SouthBeach
Stats: 216.4/212/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I've just realized that this is a piece of my story that I have not really stressed. Liking the food we eat is a big apsect of making this a way of life and not just another diet.

This is why I plan to eat certain foods as treats so that I do not feel deprived in the long run. ie: dreamfields pasta once every 2 weeks, going out for thin crust pizza once a month.

On a day to day basis, I really love all the foods that I chose to eat. When I first learned that hummus was an allowed food, I thought that I'd died and gone to heaven. Each night, my sugar free fusdgicles put a big smile on my face. I adore my salads!! Olives, avocado, asst delish veggies, fresh made dressing ...it doesn't get much better for me.

I love having a rare steak once a week. I love sauteeing my veggies and making them to suit my tastes with spices. I learned to make different marinades that I use on my 2 lbs of chicken breasts each week.

Its vitally important that we each find the foods that make this more than bearable and more a love affair with our food.

I haven't read this thread for awhile... so I missed these last few posts of yours, Judy! I enjoyed reading this one. I'm going to have to read this thread once a week. It does help!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 06:02

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Please take a minute to read thru this. I know its gotten a bit long but there are some wonderful ideas here. And if nothings else all I can say is learn from my mistakes.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 03:11

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 266/257/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi Everyone,

I've done SB in the past and managed to work away from it, but I'm back at it, going strong.

Thank you all so much for your wonderful ideas and inspirations here. I plan on incorporating most, if not all, of them into this new way of living for me.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 17:42
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Default Entering Phase II.....GO SLOW!!!

We are all so gung ho to get the weight off when we first begin any diet.....we are willing to do whatever it takes!! Yet after 2 weeks in phase I....most of us are chomping at the bit to get at the bread, pasta and flour in general.

So I've learned from my own mistakes how this can be the undoing of anyone's weight loss!!

The good Doctor does not, IMHO, give enough guidance in how to enter phase II. Many people end up quitting because they stop losing when they get to Phase II...because they added in too much too fast and they never figured out which carbs they can eat and still lose and which cause them to stall and or trigger their appetites. When you add in more than 1 carb per week, how can you possibly know which carb caused your stall or triggered your appetite?

Being that I've become intimate with this plan and have used guidelines from atkins, I can tell you that it is very important to start with unprocessed carbs first and add in 1 item per week.
1-Start with one piece of fruit per day for the first week..see how your body does with that.
2- second week add in a starchy veggie or whole grain but just one and not both...NO FLOUR YET!!!! NOT EVEN WHOLE GRAIN FLOUR!!! see if you are still losing after adding these items in.
3- third week- add in a second piece of fruit and a second serving of starchy veggie/whole grain....still no flour yet!!!

This is the way I did it. I learned that wheat triggers my appetite...I get ravenous the day I eat a wheat cereal for breakfast so I now avoid wheat...even whole wheat!!! I only started to eat flour when I was close to my goal weight. Even now, I still limit my intake of flour as it triggers me to eat!!! I eat it on occassion and not every day.

We each need to find the foods that our bodies like!! If you go too fast, you will never find this out!!
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 19:29

Plan: South Beach (mostly)
Stats: 275/254/165 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 19%

^^

Judy, scenario help por favor?

I think I started Phase II in early February, so it's been about a month. This past week I decided to back off the sprouted grain wheat tortillas, because they seemed to make me all bloated with water. My rings got tighter and other little things that you associate with water weight and not fat gains. I stopped eating the wraps on Monday, and on Tuesday (out of curiosity about the bloated feeling) I weighed in at +1.5 lbs over last week's weight. So I cut out the flax bread and whole wheat tortillas (I ate both on the same day on Saturday, too ), and decided to stick to fruits and veggies for carbs for the rest of the week. Sure enough, on my regular Friday weigh in, I was down 2.6 from the previous week (or 4.1! from Tuesday).

I'm guessing that it is not the flax bread (which is flourless, whole grain) and it is probably the wheat tortillas.

So will this always happen, the sudden rush of water weight when we eat even moderate amounts of carbs? Or if you wait on things like tortillas, or flour-y stuff in general, does your body learn how to deal with them properly? I didn't get hungry or have any cravings after eating these things, so they definitely aren't a trigger in that sense. But I definitely noticed a difference in water retention. And this was the week after TOM, so I can't blame that.

I'm cool with ditching the tortillas... especially now that I saw the results (and luckily learned my lesson in one week without significant consequences). But I think I'm going to hang on to the flourless flax bread for the weekend and maybe do another mid-week weigh in to see how it goes.

I'd appreciate any insights you may have about this, oh great one.

Have a great weekend!

p.s.: If any other non-newbies (don't want to call the Babes 'Oldies', sorry) have insight, please pipe in.
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 20:02
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
So will this always happen, the sudden rush of water weight when we eat even moderate amounts of carbs? Or if you wait on things like tortillas, or flour-y stuff in general, does your body learn how to deal with them properly? I didn't get hungry or have any cravings after eating these things, so they definitely aren't a trigger in that sense. But I definitely noticed a difference in water retention. And this was the week after TOM, so I can't blame that.

I'll try to answer you but please *note* that this is based on my experience and is not scientific fact!!

I see it this way, as we lose weight, our fat cells are still sitting there all depleted of water. When we eat flour or any other processed grain, the fat cells hold onto the flour as it passes through our bodies...I've seen weight stay on me for up to 5 days after eating grains. So yes!!...those cells will hold onto water.

OK..so thats the bad news...but I have read that after 6 months of holding that weight off, the cells do not hold on as much as before. I now can eat some flour but not everyday and only on occassion. I'm maintaining my weight between 158 and 160......

Good for you on seeing what the problem was and making necessary changes to make your body go in the direction you want it to go!!!
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-06, 10:12
Attitude is a Choice

On the tortillas......If this is a food that you love and will feel like you are depriving yourself if you don't eat it....heres how I view these things: Its what we eat daily that gets in the way of our weight loss progress. If you eat them daily, it will hamper your progress. But if you allow yourself to have them once a week and begin to view them as a treat and not part of your daily food, it won't effect your weightloss and you will not feel deprived.
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-06, 22:15

Plan: South Beach (mostly)
Stats: 275/254/165 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate your insight. I think you may be right about me and flour. I bet I end up having to put it off for awhile.

I wouldn't say that I love tortillas per se. But there are times that I'm down right sick of salads and leftovers, and wrapping things in omelets, and I would really love a sandwich or a wrap. I'm okay eating one piece of flax bread a day (ate one last night, and no bloating today), so maybe I'll just try open face sandwiches for awhile.

Part of the problem on the tortillas is that each one was probably more like two smaller tortillas. Safeway does not have good choices. This thing is probably 10" across, and I probably would have about an inch or two a the bottom that didn't have any sandwich fillings in it. So, would I have been prudent and only use half? Or whould I throw away the bottom that went unused at the end of the wrap? Of course not, I ate the whole darn thing.

So I'm going to stick to the flax bread for awhile. I had a piece last night with a little I Can't Believe It's Not Butter on it, and it was great. I ate with my dinner, and not by itself...didn't want to trigger any cravings.

For now I'm going to stick with 1 flax bread max. per day and one to two fruits per day, which is what I've been doing okay with so far. And on days I imbibe the wine, I'll cut down on one of those for each glass of wine I plan to drink. I overdid this weekend on grains & empty alcohol calories, and I learned my lesson.

So thanks for the help. I'll let you know when and if I foray back into the two grain a day experiment.

Have a great weekend!
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-06, 11:27
Attitude is a Choice

Default Whole grain help

Whole Grain Help?
From the official SBD web site:

Quote:
Q: I'm just starting Phase 2 and want to introduce bread back into my meal plans. How do I know which "whole-grain" products to choose? —Cindy

A: Unfortunately, the term "whole grain" has become a catchphrase used to promote a sense of healthfulness that is not always earned. Are whole-grain bagels made entirely from whole grains? Not always. In addition, some products — like breakfast cereals — may contain a high percentage of whole grains, but they may also have added sugar and hydrogenated (trans) fats. To add to the confusion, other terms, like "multigrain," "stone wheat," and "100% wheat," don't necessarily mean the product is made with whole grains. But if you're savvy enough to know what details to look for on the package, you should have no problem choosing products that are good for you.

First, it helps to understand what comprises a whole grain. A whole grain kernel is made up of three parts: the outer covering, referred to as the bran; the middle portion, known as the endosperm; and the innermost layer, the germ. The term "whole grain" refers to the fact that these parts are left intact during processing. This is important because each part of the grain has unique health properties. The bran, for instance, is an incredible source of fiber and other healthy plant chemicals; the endosperm contains protein; and the germ is a good source of vitamin E.

When it comes to grains, researchers believe that the whole provides more health benefits than the sum of its parts, since together, all of the healthy components interact with one another. For example, while wheat germ itself is nutritious, it's even better to eat products containing the whole kernel. On the other hand, the least nutritious options are refined-grain products (think white bread) — refining strips away the bran and germ, and all of their nutrients in the process.

So how can you separate products that are truly whole grain from their refined counterparts? Always check the ingredient list. The first ingredient should have the word "whole" in front of a specific grain (like whole wheat or whole oats), or should list a lesser-known (but still whole) grain, like brown rice, bulgur, kamut, millet, and quinoa. Finally, for the healthiest choices, look for whole-grain breads that contain no trans fats and at least 3 grams of dietary fiber per slice.
Dr. Agatson
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 09:44
Attitude is a Choice

Default Eat more fish!! SBD Daily Dish 3/28/06

Quote:
Easy, Tasty Ways to Cook Fish

Don't know how to cook fish except on the grill? As South Beach Diet™ followers know, fish is rich in heart-healthy omega 3s, so it's worth learning other tasty ways to prepare it so you can enjoy it often.

Here are four other cooking techniques that are so simple, they can help you add more fish to your menu.

Sautéed fish fillets:
Try this method for any type of skinless fish fillet. First, season the fish with salt and pepper, as desired, and heat a skillet with 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil. Cook the fish over medium-high heat, 2 to 3 minutes per side, for every 3/4 -inch of thickness. (The thicker the fish, the longer the cooking time.)

Braised fish fillets:
This preparation style requires cooking in a liquid, such as broth, white wine, clam juice, or water. First, heat some olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, then add the liquid and any seasonings and bring to a simmer. Add the fish fillets, cover, and cook for 3 minutes on both sides. (Again, a fish thicker than 3/4 inches will require a longer cooking time.)

Baked fish fillets:
Grease a baking sheet and arrange with fish fillets seasoned to taste. Bake at 350°F for about 7 to10 minutes for each inch of thickness. It's not necessary to turn the fish.

Broiled fish steaks:
Broiling works best with any type of fish steak. Season the steaks to taste and brush with olive oil. Place them in a broiler pan and broil, 4 to 6 minutes on each side, or until golden. Allow more cooking time for steaks thicker than 1 inch.

How do you know if your fish is done? To test for doneness, poke with a fork at its thickest point. Perfectly cooked fish should be opaque and moist, not dry and flaky. Undercooked fish looks raw. Salmon and tuna are the exceptions, as both can be served rare on the inside as long as the fish itself is very fresh. Note: To maintain freshness and avoid overcooking, make sure to thaw frozen fish in the refrigerator — not at room temperature, under warm water, or in the microwave.

In the end, SBD is, to me, mostly about eating fish. If you are having trouble losing and do not eat enough fish, try some of these ideas and get more fish (especially salmon)into your food plan.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 10:31
Attitude is a Choice

Default Modifying your plan

We all make modifications to our individual plans. This is how we can make it a life style chnage and not just another diet. I know that many refuse to give up "their butter" and I do understand this.

I chose to use Smart Balance. They came out with a light version and so I am now going to use the light as it greatly reduces calories. I haven't counted calories yet btu I do know that I have to keep my cals lower now in general.

As your weights come down, you too, will have to start to pay attention to calories and butter is way up there. Please try to stay open minded enough to realize this. When looking to cut cals, its best/easiest to cut it from fat caloires. Nuts, dairy, BUTTER!!, even olives and avocado need to be controlled when counting calories.

I happen to use full fat Whipped Cream shhhhh! and am very careful with portion sizes. I do use reduced fat sour cream and hard cheese(lt jarlsberg)
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 10:36
Attitude is a Choice

Default Its not just another diet!!

If you have trouble getting right back onto your plan after eating offplan.....then I suggest to you that you have still not accepted this as a way of life(WOL) and are still holding the view of this, that it is a diet.

I recently heard this saying that I put ito my signature.
I have no idea who said this but I like it:
"When you change your thinking, then you change your choices and then you can change your life."

It does require some effort but it can be done. Change the way you view this food plan and find foods that make you drool .....that is the way that I've made this a lifestyle change and not have it be "just another diet".
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 10:40
Attitude is a Choice

Default avoid franken foods!!

Even the South Beach packaged foods are franken foods!! If your weight is stuck or you are having trouble seeing progress in general.....try avoiding the SBD Kraft foods as they are loaded with sugar and salt.

You are better off with fresh whole food!!! That is what the SBD is based on and their food line by Kraft is just a money making shceme...it does not have your best interest at heart!!!
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 13:42
Attitude is a Choice

Default Sugar by other names!!

A sugar by other names is (not!) just as sweet
By Robert L. Wolke
WASHINGTON POST
Quote:
Q: After a time on the South Beach Diet, I started adding back carbs to my diet, but I still want to eliminate sugar. Boy, is that difficult to do! Everything has sugar in it. Please help me learn the different names used on food labels that indicate some kind of sugar. I know about high-fructose corn syrup, but what about all those words that end in "-ose" or "-ol"? Are they sugars as well?

A: Some are, some aren't. Intentionally or not, you have asked for a chemistry lesson. So bear with me and all your fears will be assuaged. Except, perhaps, your fear of chemistry lessons.

Chemists assign names ending in "-ose" to all carbohydrates, whether sugars or starches. Many of the sugar "-oses" are unique chemical compounds and are known by unique names, although they are all sweet to varying degrees. Starches, on the other hand, are found in our foods as complex collections of many kinds of molecules without individual names, so they are generally listed simply as "starch."

Glucose is the simplest sugar of all. Sometimes known as dextrose, it is found in fruits and honey and is the ultimate small-molecule sugar. It can pass directly into the bloodstream to be carried to our cells, where it is "burned" for energy. Starch molecules are made up of as many as thousands of molecules of glucose. Before we can derive energy from a starch, our metabolism must break its large molecules down into glucose.

Fructose, found in fruits, is another simple sugar. High-fructose corn syrup is made by using enzymes to break cornstarch down into glucose, after which a large percentage of the glucose is converted to fructose, which is sweeter than glucose or sucrose.

Sucrose (table sugar), obtained from sugar cane or sugar beets, is not a simple sugar; its molecules consist of two simple-sugar molecules, glucose and fructose, bound together. Sucrose is therefore called a disaccharide -- from di, a Latin form of "double," and saccharum, meaning "sugar." Other common disaccharide sugars are maltose and lactose.

Lactose, a disaccharide about which I'll have more to say further on, is found only in milk.

The bottom line: Any or all of these sugars might be lurking in your food, but they might not be listed separately. Look for ingredients such as honey, syrup, corn syrup, corn sweetener, molasses, fruit juice concentrate and the sneaky euphemism "cane juice."

Mercifully, the Food and Drug Administration lumps together all sugars as "sugars" in the Nutrition Facts chart on packaged foods. So you don't have to go on your own (go)ose chase. Just divide the number of grams of "sugars" by the serving size in grams, and you'll know the percentage of all sugars in the product.

I thought this was interesting and want to share it with all of you.
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 10:00

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Just felt this needed a bump back to the top.
This is packed full of info and well worth the time it will take to read.