Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 21:28

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Measure your serving size, SIZE COUNTS.

Drink water. I personally don't count my diet soda or crystal lite as water.

Thanks Judy for starting this.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 221/221/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Judy,

I am so glad that I stumbled across your post. Most nights I click around hoping to see a post that will make me start to follow SBD. I did atkins for a couple of months and lost weight. But then I gave up.

I need to lose at least 50 pounds. My health has gone downhill. I am a diabetic. I am now starting to feel a little numbness in the tip of my toes. I know I should just stop this nonsense and quit eating the crap that elevates my blood sugars. But I can't seem to do it. I'm not eating a lot of sweets, I'm grazing.

I tried going to TOPS but found that on certain days the group would bring in food to picnic while they play bingo. I went to another group and still didn't feel that singing parodies helped me at all. I felt out of place and a bit foolish.

I'm afraid of the cost of weight watchers. I want to go, but I know my hubby won't want me to spend the money cause we have an approaching tax burden to pay.

Anyway. I'm sorry to go on and on. Suffice it to say that there's more happening in my life that affects my well being and gives me reason to sit here and mindlessly eat.

I did try counseling, but I don't think it went anywhere. I do have another appointment with a new counselor that's at the bottom of the hill from my house so that there's no excuse not to go.

I'm trying to connect with some people in order to just talk about how to kick myself in the butt and take care of myself.

If anyone thinks they might want to chat about taking that leap back into low carb, I'd love the companionship. Drop me an email at cgarmer at gmail dot com

Thanks for listening.

Any more sage advice?
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 21:48
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Any more sage advice?

Sure!
1- start a journal here and use it to vent about what you are feeling ....
2- have you tried OA meetings?
3- there is a section on this forum for emotional issues that I think you should check out.

and if nothing else, its not about your weight any more....now its about your health and your life!! How much more serious do you need it to be before you make a decision that you have to do this!!??

My very best wishes to you on your journey!!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 22:48
Attitude is a Choice

Default Avoid Salt!!

If you are like me and retain fluid at the least bit of salt in your food....do yourself a big favor and avoid using it in your food as it will inhibit your weight loss.

This means that when the food list says to avoid processed meats, this is one of the reasons why!! They are loaded with sodium as are deli meats.
Hot dogs are also loaded with sodium!

Read Labels and look for sodium!

Eating out in restaurants can be tricky because they use alot of salt too. You can always say that you are on a salt restricted diet and must have a salt free meal...you can use a little table salt but this way, you get to control the amount.

Morton makes a product called Lite Salt...50% less sodium and tastes just like the real thing!! Its also fortified with potassium which we all need!!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 22:52

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Do you guys have No Salt salt? It is sooo good and no sodium!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-05, 06:25

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

Learn Moderation. Eat the right foods until satisified....not full. This is probably the number one thing that I I've changed about how I eat. For me eating too much was a bad compulsion/habit. Doing SB has resulted in changing that bad habit. I don't consume anywhere close to the amounts that I used to. I rarely have seconds and am satisfied well before my plate is empty and licked clean.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-05, 07:27

Do get medical check ups. If you are on meds, they might need to be adjusted as you loose weight.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-05, 10:05
Attitude is a Choice

Default Controlling Mental Chatter

As I went through phase I, I did notice how much more my mental chatter was actively engaged in the foods that I was avoiding!! I made a conscious effort to think about all the foods that I could have and would not allow my mind to dwell in all the foods that I had given up.

So when I notice my mind telling me how badly it wants that ______ or that ______......I thank it for sharing and flood my mind with thoughts of all the foods that I can have!! This si where the food lists come in handy to read when my mind has been asking for things that I will not eat.

We have the power to control what we think about!! It takes a little practice to actually be aware when we are thinking this stuff and stopping it but it does make life this way much easier if you don't dwell in bread!!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-05, 10:35

BF:

Be sure to eat enough...Nothing will derail your efforts quicker than hunger.

You shouldn't be hungry if you are eating enough of the correct foods and make sure that you have allowed snacks. I have never been hungry on SB except for before meal time or time for a snack.

When I was on Phase I for three weeks, I ate as many as 8 times a day. Three meals and 3 to 5 small SB friendly snacks.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 13:15

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Nice chat. Hard to find something new to say! Bill's last point seems to be something many newbies aren't aware - snacking isn't permitted, snacking is required! You have to eat about every 2-3 hours!

So, let me elaborate on MOVE and YMMV as two themes to add.

MOVE in one message was the only hint about the importance of getting more active - that might need more stressing. I went from being active 2-3 x a month to 2-3 x a week. Don't feel you have to jog or join curves or a fitness center - obviously joining something regular is great - my Pilates Class teacher's wow when I was loosing was a great reinforcer! But in general I mostly go without organized activity. My solution was: walking about 40 min. Saturday and Sunday mornings and one or 2 evenings a week, weather permitting (which in Michigan is 30% of the time), if I can't walk, or have walked 2-3 times in a row, I do a mix of some physical therapy exercises I was given a year ago, plus the Windsor Pilates 20 min - together about 40 min. exercise. It makes a huge difference in how you feel, and how fast and how well you loose weight.

YMMV: Your Mileage may vary. First, you should choose a diet plan that feels good for you. I started Atkins, but even when reading not to cut the fat off and to have fatty meats for breakfast and no fruit other than berries, it felt not right. When I discovered SBD, it just sounded close to what I prefer to eat anyway, and reasonable to me. If you feel avoiding animal fats sounds bad, like one voice here, then don't bother with SBD - try Atkins. Lean meat and fish and whole wheat stuff is expensive. SBD is usually an expensive diet - more so than Atkins, so Atkins might be easier on a very tight budget - although if you are savvy with food and shopping, there are ways around it. You can reconsider SBD on maintenance - but then, Atkins maintenance is similar to SBD phase 2. If giving up carbs altogether sounds grim, look into CAD diet - I am convinced SBD is good for many people but not for everyone! Don't force yourself onto a diet plan that doesn't sound right. I don't mean you should bother with the crazy all cabbage or Holliwood plans, I mean good plans - such as the ones described at the top here under plans - it is good to read the summaries of all before deciding which books to buy to go deeper.

YMMV is also true within SBD. Phase 2 is when you are finding out. While Judy put up the rules, you can easily eat all the phase 2 allowed foods and gain weight. Bill is right, watch portion sizes (though I disagree with those saying you have to weigh everything - you don't have to). BUT: even within this way to eat, some of us are fine eating quite a lot of sugar alcohols, others gain weight and/or have gastrointestinal upheavals from them. Whole wheat or low carb versions of tortillas/bread/pasta are for many of us only ok when eaten once or twice a week and in moderation. Nuts are a trigger for me to overeat - I just can't have 20 nuts. I am better off not buying them. Alcoholic beverages similar - if you can't have just one glass of red wine, it might be better not. Fruit and dairy are other cases of food that seem ok for many but have to be watched by many - I seem to on the other side on the dairy - I really feel I loose better if I make sure I have some fatfree yoghurt as snack and often forget to buy it.

Phase 2 is where you are finding out your specific food preferences - the switch from phase 1 to phase 2 is not: now we can eat whatever is on the phase 2 list! It is one week at a time, I add something to my diet that wasn't on phase 1, and I see what my body does with this - does it feel good, does it make me hungry, my stomach upset or gain weight - drop it, irrespective of the lists. Next week something else. After several months on phase 2, you should have gained a weath of information on your own eating style and customized a diet that works for you!

Last edited by Monika4 : Sat, Aug-27-05 at 13:24.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 16:17

BF:

There is a recipie for dark choclate dipped strawberries in the SB book...once you get to Phase II they are a great treat for special occaisions. After Phase I and several weeks on Phase II DW and I made these for our anniversery. After not having any real "treats" for 6 weeks they tasted great...almost sinful. We still have them now and again for a special occaision...but we don't have "special treats" everyday!

Another great treat in the book, for Phase III, is the dark chocolate and pistachio dipped apricots...we made these last Thanksgiving and Christmas along with other fruits and nuts dipped in flavored yougurt, dark chocolate, and flavored LF cream cheese. We had these instead of holiday candy...they were great and didn't undo our hard work to lose the weight and maintain.

The thing I'm pointing out is that SB isn't supposed to be painfull or hard. If you deprive yourself of the occaisional special treat or make it seem like you are "giving up everything" for this WOE, your chances for long term success decrease. It's really pretty easy to find foods that are special and don't ruin all of your hard work...have a special SB friendly treat now and again...just not everyday.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-05, 09:04

Just wanted to give this a bump to the top so it doesn't get lost.

Hope you all are sticking to the plan. It works great.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 17:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154.5/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I'm going nuts! I've vacillated between Atkins and South Beach for about a year now. I like aspects of both diets. South Beach "feels" a little healthier to me and my friends really pull me in this direction. I'm afraid that if I do the switch to SB, I'll regain the weight I lost with Atkins. Can you offer me some reassurance? Also, is there a limit to the amount of phase I vegetables that one can eat? I'm thinking this is not a quantiative diet, right?
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 21:21
Attitude is a Choice

The amount of veggies allowed in phase I is unlimited but we should still pay attention to feeling full and stopping at that point. Its not a free for all as some would like to think.

You are at your goal weight now and IMHO, if you started using these food lists and meal plan charts, pay attention to portion sizes on grains, fruit and fat, you should not gain weight.

You could begin phase II slowly and add in only 1 fruit a day for the first week. Second week, add in a grain serving with the fruit and see how you do with that. As you progress adding servings of fruits(up tp 2-3 per day) and grains(up to 2-3 per day), if you do it slowly, you can monitor your weight and if you start to see a gain, you can back off.

Make sense?
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 14:00

This might be helpful to some of you also. My hubby takes my pic at the begaining of the month, then adds a calendar under it. I log my weight once a week on the calendar. I have them all in a binder. When I feel like I haven't changed much I get out my book and flip thru the pages of the past year.