Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 22:59
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default A little rant about life in maintenance...

This is a vent/rant whatever you want to call it about how little understanding there is for the needs of the maintainer. From thin people, from heavy people, from dieters and not... maintainers of weight loss are misunderstood by all.

People just don't realize the battle doesn't end when you're thin. In fact, it only gets fractionally easier. You expect this dramatic change in maintenace but it's really not much different at all from the weight loss part of the diet. That's the truth. The main way it's different is that instead of worrying about stalling, now you worry about gaining.
I mean, everyone logically understands that, but in practice they don't actually know what that statement entails. Think of it like this: pretend that not gaining was a goal you wanted as bad as not stalling. All of us are dieters and we can relate to the feeling of stalling, so if I compare gaining to that maybe it's easier to understand.
If you want to not gain (the same way dieters want to not stall) It means not shrugging off a pig out at a buffet. It means caring and worrying a bit because your pants are getting tighter (or in the case of dieters, not getting bigger). It means paying attention and deciding what to do over a steady pound gain on the scale (or for dieters, a scale that hasn't moved in weeks). Basically, maintenance means vigilance and no one really understands that. Not the naturally thin, not the dieters, no one knows what maintenance is about except the maintainers. It makes life difficult, being made to feel like you're obsessed all the time.

Look, I understand. I realize it's almost impossible to truly know what maintenance is about until you've been there. I realize to others it seems needless and silly and strange and excessive. I don't expect people to "get it". But you know, I DO expect you to stop insisting I have a psychological problem because I worry about a pound. Yes, I look thin. No, I am not naturally that way. Yes, a pound is a big deal when your body can very easily accumulate 170 of them in short order. I lost most of that in a year. That means I can gain it back even faster. This is reality.
I'm sick and tired of restating over and over the difference between keeping off massive obesity (rational control of weight problem), and anorexia (irrationality, self destructive compulsive emaciation). I appreciate the good intent of well meaning individuals, but please when I insist that I have self assessed and am certain I am NOT significantly more dysfunctional in eating than any other person with a valid weight problem... believe me, ok? Even if you don't believe me, please please PLEASE stop insisting ok?

The thing of it is it smacks of hypocricy. It's somehow no longer acceptable to be weight conscious once you've achieved what one sets out to achieve via watching weight. How much sense does that make? Is yo-yo dieting a cultural obsession or what? No one says anything about it if you're still heavy, in fact you're praised. You bond with others losing. It feels good. Once you've reached a certain weight suddenly people expect you to just magically become a naturally thin person. No one understands how it is not an option to be indifferent when you are suppressing your weight by controlling what you eat. If I don't continue to pay attention and thus, yes, worry how else is this 170 pounds going to stay off my body? The slips will accumulate, this is a fact. Did going on LC to lose weight somehow change reality? Am I now immune to the cumulative fattening power of buffets? Or to the hyperinsuliemic & hypoglycemic effect on my body from too many nights of too many carbs? Is a nip in the thighs of my pants somehow less indicative of a weight gain trend than it was before I lost weight?

Now that I am actually here, I have a profound understanding of why almost everyone regains weight with time. It's not that the diet itself is too hard... it's that our society and lack of tolerance for weight control that makes it too hard. You feel intense pressure to "be normal" (which, unless you're lucky, means eating so as to become fat). If you're not "loosened up" about eating and therefore on your way to regaining, you're "too obsessed" in their eyes. When you've lost people actually encourage you to abandon your good habits, they make you feel like it's some how not as necessary anymore or even abnormal.

In our society, it seems the only acceptable way to be is fat and on a weight loss diet. Fat and complacent is morally offensive. Ex-fat and therefore "obsessed" is mentally ill. Ironically enough, the greatest acceptance I ever felt regarding weight was those few months I was losing it believe it or not. As a restricted eater not trying to lose more weight, I feel almost as much of an outsider as I did when I was fat and gaining. I feel like this is "unnecessary" because I've been told so often that it is. I'm starting to believe it, scary enough, and I know that is the message that leads you back to the plus sized store.

Is it any wonder so few fail to keep it off long term, when our entire society has no understanding of weight maintenance?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 06:19
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

Bravo, Woo! I find that we maintainers are not "part of the club" sometimes. If we had to restrict something in the first place to lose weight, why wouldn't we still have the same struggles to keep off the weight?

I admit that, once I started LCing, I had some trouble keeping weight on, but I have found that sticking to lifting instead of cardio solved that problem. So now I'm in true maintenance where I have to keep watch lest I gain more back.

Why is it that we are considered vain and obsessive when we have hypoglycemic issues and couldn't eat that way ever again no matter what weight we are? Indulging in the occasional treat wreaks havoc with my system and I am terrified of developing further problems, so each "treat" comes with terrible guilt and anxiety attack driven fear.

This will always be a struggle for me. Knowing that I can ease up on the LC thing once in awhile would be fine if I wasn't sick...but I am so I have to watch. Obsessive? About my health...HELL YES I AM!

Keep up the good work, Woo. You know what works for you and have a complete understanding of how your body works. I applaud you.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 06:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I've maintained for over a year and I still try to stay roughly within the boundaries of induction, which I have no problem with and enjoy. So when I have the need (socially or mentally) for a "pig out" I can, I never eat high carb foods though, just have maybe too many low carb things!. I return to induction the next day. I do get people asking me why I'm still "dieting" now I'm slim - cos I want to stay slim and enjoy what I eat, why would I want to change it?

But I know what you mean, when I first hit my target I actually became scared of stopping "dieting". I didnt know what to do or how to go to maintenance without losing control. A "low carb" friend of mine suggested that if I was happy with my existing eating plan then dont change it - So i didnt, hence I'm still happily following induction and probably will forever

jo
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 07:05

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 168/123/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 136%

I've also maintained for over a year and I think people have gotten used to my 'weird eating'. As I am not really a LOW carber (more of a good carber), I have a bit more leeway - I can eat relatively what I want, just ditch the worst stuff and watch my portion sizes. My family fortunately all eat like birds so they think it's great. It's possible that I don't get a lot of flack because a) I'm older and b) I eat quite a bit (6-7x/day, 2K+ calories) so I'm seen eating all the time.

But yes, maintenance can be quite stressful - you just don't have the motivation you had when you were on a losing kick. I try to better myself in other ways (muscle gain, etc) to keep a bit of motivation going.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 07:26
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

One thing I noticed as odd, but in a good way...all of our maintenance weights are lower than our original goals. Kudos to us for our perserverance and the realization that you don't have to settle for the size that your body "wants to be". You can strive for something better and attain it.

Congrats to all you maintainers!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 07:26

Plan: Lowcarb
Stats: 164/143/130 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Good for you Woo, for voicing that once you have weight problems for whatever reason, it's a WOL to lose the weight and maintain. We all say that eating LC is a WOL, well, IMO, life means til I'm dead, so, I have to watch it even after I reach my goal.
Once we slack of and eat mindlessly, guess what, we'll gain the weight back. For me, that's how I gained the weight in the first place, not watching what I ate. I don't ever want to go back there.
Just like Ojoj, I sometimes get afraid of what I'll do once I reach my goal. In the past I've always gained the weight back because I thought my job was done. I've lost the weight and now I can just forget about watching what I ate.
Now I see that if I want to keep the weight off I'll have to continue eating LC and when my body stops losing, it is where it's supposed to be.
But, I must not go back to eating the way a "normal person" eats..that's what got me fat in the first place.
Diet A (the way I used to eat) =weight A (my high weight)
Diet B (or in my case LC) = weight B (my goal)
Why, oh, why would I want to stop diet B and go back to
diet A...I'll just get fat again.
It's pretty logical!
I'm done...
Mary-Ann
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 07:48

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

Maybe it would help people understand if you compare it to being alcoholic. Alcoholics as a rule cannot indulge in "normal" drinking behavior. "Just one" WILL hurt. We who are/were very overweight will likely never be "normal" again and we (and the people around us) must learn and accept that.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 09:13

Plan: My own+BFL
Stats: 295/192/170 Female 5'4
BF:46.3/33/25
Progress: 82%

I’m still in the process (and maybe I won’t quite get it to “fully click” until I get close to goal) of trying to wrap my brain around the fact that I have a problem that I will never fully be able to “relax” with. A few years ago I went through treatment for narcotics addiction and it’s much the same thing- I’m 98% healed from it, but I won’t ever be able to completely chill out about it. I have to be vigilant (although not “crazy” about it) or “just one hit” turns into using again, kwim? I imagine it’ll be much the same for me when I get to goal and try to maintain. I’ll eventually get to the point where I can feel comfortable enough not to make it my first priority, but it’s going to always have to be in my “Top 5”.
I never though maintenance would be the “giant party with no rules” some people seem to think it will be, but maybe when I get there it won’t be as hard as I am anticipating it to be.
It’s a hard pill to swallow, to realize I won’t ever completely be able to let my guard down, but with all the benefits I get and will get from low-carbing, I can deal. I have so far.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 09:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I remember a moment during my weight loss phase where it dawned on me that I was never gonna be able to eat like I used to. I searched through my atkins book and the internet looking for some solace - somewhere where it was written that I would actually be allowed to eat unlimited chocolate, cakes, bikkies, potatoes and stay slim.

I remember feeling sad as I slowly realised that I couldnt eat that stuff anymore - just like the alcohlic/drug addict can never have their poison again.

I've come to terms with it now and my resolve is still strong and I cant think of a reason why i would ever change on this

Jo
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 10:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/99.0/102.0 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Thank you, Wooo!

I have been in maintenance since early May, and I am getting tired of everyone telling me that I don't need to be concerned about what I eat anymore. Friends are pushing me to eat pizza, etc., and saying it won't hurt me. I don't really want to have to discuss it with them all the time!

The pressure to eat "normally" (meaning to eat like everyone else) is tremendous. When I gained all that weight over the years, I was not eating a ton of junk or anything - I was just eating the same way that all my friends do - maybe chips and salsa before dinner, several beers a week, piece of birthday cake at a party. Apparently they can do this, and I can't. That's OK with me - but I wish it were ok with them.

I visited a friend in May and brought some LC things with me: shakes, cheese, etc. My friend was really insulted by it, even though it didn't inconvenience him at all, and even though I didn't make a big deal out of it. (I didn't even mention it - I just took care of my own snacks.) It's strange how other people want to control what I eat - I don't tell them what to eat.

Maintenance really is a whole different struggle from weight loss. It's harder to get a handle on. And it's nice to hear from the rest of you that you struggle with it, too. Thanks for taking the time to write about it.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 10:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Lyle McDonald's book "Flexible Dieting" goes into how truly difficult maintenance is because your body never fully lets go of trying to get you back to a heavier weight. A little depressing, but there is that reality.

Maintaining is just a slightly different struggle from dieting.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 11:07

Plan: Atkins~~OWL
Stats: 294/237/150 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 40%

I just want to applaud you all for realizing the need for dilgence. I am a static because I didn't. About 8 yrs ago I went from 264 to 135 in 10 months doing low cal/low fat. Everyone was so proud of me and I was thrilled and looked so very hot!! then I started giving in more and more. Well I have lost 132 pounds surely I can have this or that. Once and awhile binges became every week we had a Pizza Hut night and went back to baking and eating about a cake a week with my family. Seems like it just happened so fast. One day I looked up and I was on the door of 200 again. BAM. It happened so fast. Then I couldn't lose no matter what my body had been through enough I guess. I developed a thyroid problem and a pregancy. BOOM 260 again. By that time I was so depressed I didn't even care anymore. I still can't believe I waited so long to retake my life. I am finally losing without the hunger on low carb. I can't believe I am subjecting myself to yet another 100 pounds plus loss it was so hard before and its gonna be a long road. I am older and my body has been through more so the weight isn't coming off as fast this time and I know it. I plan to follow the examples here once I finally see 150 again and be very very very careful. This will be the last time Kim is over 200!!!!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 12:43

Stats: 140/124/125 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 107%

I am not in maintenance yet, because I'm afraid of it. As a matter of fact, I haven't even moved into OWL yet, because I'm afraid of it.

I don't find that to mean I'm obsessive .........It means I don't WANT to gain weight. Big Whoopie.

I hear what you're saying Woo..........because you don't want to gain weight and you don't want to be fat does NOT mean you have an eating disorder.

It SIMPLY means you NEVER want to be where you were before.

And I, for one, applaud you. You give the rest of us motivation to get there, and the strength to know that no matter how hard the path to get there, and the harder stance to STAY there ..........it can be done !!

Thanks Woo.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 13:06

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I have been on maintenance for two years and find it easy to do. One of the advantages of following a low-carb WOL is that, while in a weight-loss phase, you learn what you can and cannot have in your diet.

I know that I cannot have starches, sugars, and 'typical' American foods. I have been able to add back into my diet foods such as nuts and some amounts of sweet fruits. I have also learned that have two alcohol based drinks a day will affect my weight in an undesirable manner.

While losing weight, I followed the phases of Arkins and used them to know what food items were acceptable to my body. If I had kept on straight induction, then I would not have been prepared to enjoy maintenance. Yes, there were times when my weight loss stopped, or even reversed itself, but how else do you learn except by trying different amounts and types of food. OWL and pre-maintenance (for those on Atkins) are the times to learn how to handle situations that are not low-carb friendly.

My goal was to be healthier, not just to be lighter. I don't worry about gaining weight back, because I know that I won't. I went 18 weeks last summer without weighing myself. When I finally got around to stepping on the scale, I was 2.5 lbs lighter.

Maintenance should be the activity that you are doing when you have enough knowledge about your diet so that you don't have to worry about the diet making you unhealthy.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 13:40

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Wow, is there really that much peer pressure once youre maintaining to eat the way you used to? Thats really frustrating. I mean, we have all sorts of tools to explain our less-than-mainstream-eating when losing, but what do you say when youre maintaining? I just dont care for "insert decadent and totally illegal food here". "I dont feel like eating that". "Thanks, Ill just have a salad". "I LIKE these LC shakes". Wow, sounds like youll have to prepare a whole arsenal of quick and well practiced excuses.

Hmm. Much to consider-this is a whole new mindset, and you need a whole set of new tools. Anyone know what the 12 steps are in those famous programs? There MUST be something there that applies to this case. How does an alchoholic remain strong and say "no thanks, Ill just have soda" when out with freinds? That other poster was right-its a lot like alchoholism, constant monitoring, constant worrying about situations and obstacles.