Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 08:29
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
"telling it like it is

Yahhhh....I noticed this too Kryssi!! some want to live in denial and don't want to hear "the truth".....it does get old for me....

I've been there...done that with all the denial and excuses....I've spent the past 15 yrs of my life in that state of mind. You've gotta want this bad and be willing to change to really make it happen!! I think thats why there are so many who get stuck at a weight and stop losing. It makes me sad for them

Hope you are feeling better today Scruffy!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 08:35

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

I am getting there Judy! Well, I was until I took the kelp! Oh what was I thinking when I chose the stuff from the bin? I think I will go the capsule route from here on in! There has got to be a better way to take it! I really didn't give it time to dissolve????? So, tomorrow I'll try that! But, right now all I can say is yuckie! I hate to waste so will finish this off...half a pound! As far as being in the dumps goes...until I get my throid back in good order, well it's going to be tough! I am still not sleeping well and just hate that! I so want to go back to bed right now! But, I am thinking of forcing myself out the door and think maybe a pedicure??? Well, maybe! A nap sounds better right now!
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 08:40
Attitude is a Choice

I have a hard time getting to sleep myself and have for many years. I now take an over the counter product called Melatonex, which does help....The Estroven I take at night also has some stuff to help with sleep!!

Nothing worse than not sleeping....and it gets in the way of your weight loss if you are not sleeping well!!

If you go to a health food store, they will have a kelp pill for you. Have you done a google search for other supplements for thyroid?
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 08:44

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBLady
Kryssi, I have a question on this....from reading around, I know it takes some experimenting to find out what works for each individual to maintain, but does this actually stop? To a point that you just live happily on this WOL and no longer watch the scale or what you eat (within plan)?

I love this WOE, no desire to go backward. However, my biggest fear is that I am going to have to stay on top on my weight/size forever, which reminds me of the low fat dieting days -- and eventual failure.

On average, does anyone who has been maintaining for awhile see changes in their body making them adjust, or constantly struggle, in order to keep the weight off AFTER they have found their comfort carb level? Or do these struggles occur simply when one gets out of of control with "forbidden" foods?
I've been in the maintenance phase of Fat Flush for over a year and a half. As others have already posted here, my weight also fluctuates 5-7 pounds (call it scale creep 'cause while sometimes it's LESS than my target, it's more often MORE. EEeek!). One of the things I love most about FFP is that there is no counting (not calories, not points) which is good because I'm math impaired. However, in the maintenance section we are given "up to" 4 friendly carbs daily (can't eat that many per day or I WILL gain weight) and instructions on how to slowly add them in - searching for those that will NOT contribute to weight gain (for me, anything with gluten, and dairy will send the scale up. Lactose intolerant - not a clue prior to FFP that either of these contributed to my fatigue, insomnia, dry skin, weight gain - sheesh!). However quinoa, wild rice, sprouted spelt I can handle. And can we take a minute to extoll the virtues of parsnips? I mean, who knew?! I always figured they were "grandma's" veggie, but OMG! If you slow roast 'em over a grill or broiler, they get positively sweet and you can eat them as a veggie or a desert (mixed with whey protein and eggs, you can make a delish souffle). Once I got my tastes trained AWAY from salt and sweet, I found out that many veggies and fruits had extra layers of flavors I had missed. And I eat way more veggies than I ever used to (daikon, jicama, kohlrabi, bok choy, celery root, rutabaga, spaghetti squash, and more - are all staples for me)

I return to Phase 1 of Fat Flush every quarter for two weeks as a way to shave off any pound creep as well as accomplish a systemic flush. When I entered maintenance, I was a size 10. Adhering to FFP principles continued shaving off inches so that these days I'm a size 6. (!! !!)

After all this time in maintenance (started FFP in perimenopause and moved to full menopause within a year), the basic ground rules are ingrained and I don't actively think about them anymore. I eat fresh, whole foods whenever possible, NEVER EVER eat white flour, white sugar, white rice, milk, box dinners or any highly processed foods. In particular, I avoid low carb commercial products which are almost always made with gluten flour or soy flour. I figure if I can't make <insert product here> from scratch in my kitchen, then I don't want to be eating it (particularly if the list of ingredients reads like a chemistry class lab list). I have a daily cup of organic coffee, very rarely drink alcoholic beverages (pure jolt of sugar to the blood stream - not good for insulin levels) but will occasionally have a glass of organic non-sulfured wine.

The charge I get shopping and wearing size 6 clothes (always figured I was a size 14 body struggling to emerge from 2x-dom - never EVER dreamed that I was really a size 6!!!!!!!!) by far outweighs any desire to eat off plan. No food can equal that rush of adrenalin when I'm standing amidst the "small" clothes section. (If you ever spot a tall blonde just standing there grinning ear to ear - that's me. Pop over and say "hi!")

Anyhoo, thanks for letting me spout off.

**we now return this discussion to the Atkins folks**
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 08:51
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

Csoar, I haven't seen you in a long time...how are you? Looks like you're still feeling great!

Everyone is welcome here....we have all plans in here...the common goal is maintenance and I like to think of us as "goalies".

Judy and Scruff....kelp? Is this something that we need? Why is it good for you?
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 08:51

BF:

I went to Wild Oats the other day and the gal that works in the supplement department has thyroid problems and she felt that the kelp was the place to start! They did have the pills, but dummy me asked about cost and she said the powder was the cheapest route...I so don't care about that now that I have had a taste! But, next time I will give it time to sit in the water... Once I finish this stuff off then if I haven't figured out the key to hiding the texture and flavor then I will buy the pills instead! Now, she said if the kelp doesn't give my thyroid the boost it needs over the next 30 days then she has other stuff to try! I agreed with her that it was better to try one thing at a time instead of taking a bunch of stuff when only one might be needed! I am also adding coconut oil...in a little while...I want to be sure I won't react and if I do I need to know to which item!
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 08:58
Attitude is a Choice

ahhhh...good plan Scruffy!! Good luck and I hope you find what works for you naturally!!
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 09:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryssiMc
Csoar, I haven't seen you in a long time...how are you? Looks like you're still feeling great!

Everyone is welcome here....we have all plans in here...the common goal is maintenance and I like to think of us as "goalies".

Judy and Scruff....kelp? Is this something that we need? Why is it good for you?

I am taking kelp to hopefully aid my thyroid in functioning properly! I was diagnosed several years ago as being borderline underactive and since I was 302 pounds at the time the doctor medicated me figuring that was why I was fat! If he had asked he would have found I was eating way too much and not exercising! Well, due to no more medical insurance, I cannot refill my thyroid meds so haven't been feeling so great...all the lovely symptoms of a thyroid not behaving are driving me nuts! And, I gained five pounds so I am trying a more natural route! The gal at Wild Oats suggested kelp as a starting place! Now, hopefully this is the one and I'll start feeling great and soon! If not then I will go back in 30 days and try something else! I am also adding coconut oil in a little while as well! The research I did claims a thyroid benefit as well! As far as weightloss on these items??? I don't see how they can do that except if they do regulate my thyroid and give it the boost it needs to behave itself then weight loss will begin again only because I am eating the right number of carbs and exercising as I should so I don't want newbies or desperate folks to see this and think it's what helped me to lose weight! Well, the stuff is doing something right now because I am having a hot flash! I know it's not an allergic reaction because I have been checking my face for signs of that!
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 10:45

Adrenal burnout can lead to thyroid issues. Have you looked in to the possibility that your adrenals are too stressed to work properly?
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 11:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoar2004
Adrenal burnout can lead to thyroid issues. Have you looked in to the possibility that your adrenals are too stressed to work properly?

No, I sure hadn't! Do you have info you can share with me on that???? Of course, I will research it as well! I know my thyroid is messed up because of the tests my doctor had run...the surgeon who performed my hysterectomy called me and told me that the workup they had done showed my thyroid was borderline and she sent me to get further tests. But, I am curious about adrenal burnout! That may be what caused the tests to come back borderline????
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 12:37

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi all!

Just checking in. It is nice to see we have such a supportive group here. I see that you are interested in adrenal burnout. Check out the this thead in the PCOS forum Ladies Help! Problems are getting worse! check out the posts by Krst. I am not sure how accurate she is, but she raises some interesting points.

Sorry I have notheing further to add to the current conversation, thyroid, menopause, ect. I am glad you all have found a group of people to "tell it like it is."

Take care....
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 13:20

Quote:
"How Can You Tell If Your Adrenal Glands Are Stressed Out?
Traditional medicine recognizes only the most extreme form of adrenal burnout: Addison's disease, a potentially life-threatening condition in which the adrenals make no cortisol hormones. However, there's a wide spectrum of diminishing function between healthy adrenals and Addison's disease. A person could feel horrible and have virtually no energy because of poor adrenal function and yet not show any abnormalities on the standard adrenal function test.

If your adrenal glands are stressed out, you may experience:

Chronic fatigue.
Lightheadedness.
Cold hands and feet.
Low blood pressure.
Loss of appetite.
Food or environmental allergies.
Cravings for salt or sweets.
Headaches.
Nervousness and irritability.
Dry skin.
Thinning hair.
Excessive worrying and weeping.

Dr. Robert Atkins suggests a simple method for determining if your adrenal glands are working properly. (You'll need a blood pressure gauge to do this test.):

1. Have your blood pressure gauge nearby.
2. Lie down and rest for 5 minutes.
3. Take a blood pressure reading while still lying down.
4. Stand up.
5. Take your blood pressure again, immediately.

If your blood pressure is lower when you stand up, your adrenal glands are probably stressed. The greater the drop in pressure, the more stress your adrenals are experiencing. Note: If your blood pressure drops significantly when you stand up, you should probably discuss the problem with your physician.
Stress is the number one adrenal stressor. My crystal ball says a nice soothing aromatherapy bath (great de-stress strategy) is in your future.
Also, Bach Flower essences have a wonderful formula for stress relief. Bottom line, though, if you think you might have adrenal burnout is taking an adrenal supplement (I did!).

HTH!
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 13:33

BF:

Stress has been huge in my life...especially the last two months! But, I feel so lousy that it's hard to do anything! I cannot even stay focused long enough on any book, let alone do a craft or sew something!
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 23:27

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Hey All,

Just checking in.....great to see more posts in this thread!

Scruff -- I always have something stressful going on in my life as well. Between two teens on the verge of adulthood (or THINK they are, LOL) and my house in a constant state of remodeling, some days I literally want to pull my hair out.

Eno -- thanks for the tip on the Eades new book! I've enjoyed four books by them so far and love PP -- I'm real pleased to find out they have a book focused more on maintenance, as the PPLP pretty much sums it up in a nutshell and doesn't go into enough detail for me.

Judy -- Check out my gallery if you want to see an updated pic! More to come as I snap more wearing my new clothes, LOL!

Kryssi - that is funny about how you guys ended up here together with the "tell it like it is" thingy....I've enjoyed your comments, and others who are open, in the War Zone, and I will say that it REALLY helped me stick to plan and I credit that to the success I have had. Its so refreshing to participate among those who I feel are actually in this for a WOL and not some LC trend....cause I'm a lifer too ;-)

I don't think the common ground is necessarily about attitude, its about doing whatever plan you are on in a way that is healthy, and actually works to lose weight.

Csoar -- I've enjoyed many of your posts along my journey, and I'm glad to see you here :-).

Last edited by MeBLady : Sun, Jul-24-05 at 01:25.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 07:09
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

Good morning all! Checking in myself to see how things are going. I just posted to someone who is just 10lbs from goal to come on over. I think that this section really needs to be pumped up, so I'm gonna do some PR for us goalies...

Lady, I'm gonna jump over and check out the new pix! Can't wait to see the new threads... I'm gonna have to go shopping myself soon as none of my winter clothes from last year fit me...but I actually hate to shop. Sigh...guess I'm just not a girly-girl...much prefer to go 4 wheeling, LOL.

Have a wonderful Sunday, I'm off to the lake soon. Wish me luck around those pesky BBQ foods...