Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-00, 13:48
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

November 28, 2000

Bigger children may be at risk of type 1 diabetes

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Children who are taller and heavier than their peers may be at increased risk of type 1 diabetes, new research findings indicate.
According to results of the study, obese boys and girls older than 3 years were twice as likely to be diagnosed with diabetes than their thinner peers. The investigators also found that the tallest children had an increased risk of the disease, compared with children of average height.

The increase in childhood growth and weight gain that has occurred in most industrialized nations over the past four decades may be responsible for the concurrent rise in the incidence of type 1 diabetes, report Dr. Elina Hypponen from the University of Tampere in Finland, and colleagues.

The researchers explain that during periods of growth, the body demands more insulin. Insulin is the hormone that regulates blood sugar by clearing sugar from the blood after a meal or snack and depositing it into cells throughout the body to use as energy. The increased demand, however, stresses beta cells, which produce insulin. Over time, the cells fail to produce insulin.

Patients with type 1 diabetes cannot produce enough insulin to control their blood sugar and are usually required to inject insulin into their veins several times a day.

There is currently no cure for type 1 diabetes, and uncontrolled blood sugar raises the risk of heart disease, liver damage, nerve disorders and blindness.

The findings, published in the December issue of Diabetes Care, are based on medical records from 586 children younger than 15 years who were diagnosed with diabetes in Finland over a 3-year period, and 571 children without diabetes.

In Finland, the rate of type 1 diabetes has more than quadrupled since the early 1950s, the authors note. At the same time, increases in average height have been observed in many developed countries.

While several studies have demonstrated the association between obesity and risk of type 2 diabetes, or adult-onset diabetes, the current study is among the first to observe an association between obesity and type 1 diabetes, which is usually diagnosed in children.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 07:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%

Have you noticed the kids seem to be a lot fatter now than ever before? I get so upset when I see these moms force feed kids to keep them quiet. And it is usually with junk too. They are setting them up for a life time of pain......
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 22:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/257/185
BF:
Progress: 24%

This article is really upsetting to my. My son is just 10 and he's 5'4" and a little on the pudgy side. Now what do I do???
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 15:03

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Leslie...

my advice...cut the sugar out of his diet for the most part and control his carb intake within reason for a 10 year old. He's a little too young to put on a low carb diet, but that doesn't mean that you can't help him start making good choices now so that hopefully by the time he's 12 or 13, there will be no need for loosing weight. Make sure that the carbs that he does eat are slow acting ones (whole grains, non-starchy vegetables) and encourage him to exercise. If you are truly concerned, have his doctor check him out to put your mind at ease. The study did not say that every tall chubby child is going to develop type 1 diabetes, only that there seems to be a higher likelihood that they may and one study doesn't really show anything definitively. I didn't see anything in the study comparing the diets of the thin smaller children to the larger ones (levels of carb and sugar intake and amount of exercise, for example) and that may play a BIG part in what's going on. My 7 1/2 year old daughter is above average height (4' 3") and is a bit chubby. She has a way of finding sweet treats even though I rarely give them to her and it's quite frustrating. Other children give them to her and even her teachers. I'm trying to educate her that sugar is bad for her health and help her make better choices in what she eats and I've also requested that her teachers NOT reward her with sugary treats.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 17:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/257/185
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks so much for your advise. Lisa!

I try to keep mu son away from the sugar and white bread, ect. But like you said, he always seems to find it!! I pln on doing some Ti-Bo exercise tapes and he wants to do it with me, also walks in the evening since it's not as dark out now. I think I was just a little worries when I read that!!

Thanks again!